+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing mentality

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Warney put out a weak team last night, even though this was the League Cup, not the Mickymouse Cup That decision was backed by most Millersmadsters on here . Many of the players chosen have barely won a game whilst wearing a Millers shirt. We lost to Huddersfield reserves after, yet again, taking the lead. Burton Albion got through to Round 3 and are playing Man. Utd away.

In retrospect, correct strategy?
    This practice originated in the Prem reflecting the impact of European competition and the disparate financial rewards of league placings and survival compared to cups. Frankly, it stinks but as many fans support the logic hey ho.
    That a L1 manager should adopt the approach so early in the season is imo ridiculous. It's a contempt for the fans which ought to be answered by fans not attending. Some of my greatest Millers memories are from cup games. What is football now about?

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    Cayton, I went tonight and we lost. I went on Saturday and we lost. We did play some good stuff on Saturday but we lost again and on another day we might have lost heavily. Peterboro created a huge amount of chances amd the early shot that hit the crossbar went two feet over the line. The defeat at Fleetwood was excused as it was against a team that did well last season, well Peterboro finished more than 40 points behind the champions so what is the excuse there? Surely Warney is as sick of losing as I am?
    As for tonight, when we had a go at them we looked dangerous but we did play differently as we didn't put any pressure on the ball. Even though it was Huddersfield's second string, they didn't give the ball away so we had very little possession. In my opinion a midfield 2 of Vaulks and Dom Ball won't cut it at league 1 level, never mind playing against potentail premier league players.
    It wasn't really Huddersfield 2nd string though. Most were playing last season when they got promoted so if you make the excuse for Vs Fleetwood.
    When people mention loosing mentality it suggests to me they don't give 100% effort and are not fussed if they loose..

Rotherham players this season are not that. The 4 games I have watched they have given 100% and looked very good for a league one team.. the nature of the set up dictates we will concede goals as warne has stated front 6 have free roam and he likes his fullbacks to bomb on..

When warne gives an interview he says how he sees it. If we play good and loose why slate players. If like Saturday we lost he gave a honest interview and commented about ajayi and O'Donnell errors..
    Not just you Tony but I really don't get what fans want managers to say after a game.

Cayton, you make a sensible observation. In my experience though to play well, give 100% and still lose saps team confidence quicker than anything. A couple more defeats and imo the rot will set in. Warne is trying to run before the team can walk. He and his team are the opposite of Warnockian - they lack grip. Let's see who is right.

I didn't go last night,so will not comment on how the team or certain individuals played,this team in my opinion does show promise,the reporter at the game Brin Law,was full of praise for the Millers,and he said we should have taken the game in to extra time,and since Huddersfield had taken the lead,we were pinning them in,i know its another defeat,but lets take heart from the performance,we will beat Charlton on Saturday,UTM.

I didn't go to Udersfield, but still wll still comment because I want too.

As Monty says he you play well and give everything and then either give 2 easy goals away, or miss easy chances every game the omens are not good.

The league doesn't award points for playing well!

I didn't go either but spoke to a Huddersfield fan this morning who said he thought we looked useful and were unlucky.I don't think we're far from having a very good season, but feel it could go either way. The next two games will be critical in determining the direction of the season.

We definitely had a losing mentality last season and we are bound to have a bit of a hangover running into this season.

However it's asking a lot to expect an instant "rocket boost" change. The changes have to be planned and built on sound foundations.

Overall I think Warne and Co are getting it right. The first team is starting to look solid and backing them up is a more than useful team of reserves.

Yes I still think we need a defensive coach and we still need to be more inventive with free kicks and corners.

In the main though it's not been a bad start.

I don't buy into us having a 'losing mentality'. It's the same every weekend, commentators trot out statistics about X not having won at Y for 45 years, or not having beaten Z since 1066. They might be interesting snippets but they have no bearing whatsoever on the game. Since the last time... the team has changed 100 times (or 200 if Evans is in charge), the manager has been replaced 17 times and they're playing at a different stadium. In those circumstances it's a nonsense to believe past performances have any bearing on the present.

Obviously, if one team has been far superior to the other over a protracted period then results are going to reflect that. Similarly, last season we were far inferior to any other team in the Championship so it's no surprise results went against us. There's no doubt we were poorly prepared mentally last season and that successive defeats led to a depressing feeling of inevitability but this year we have a much-changed squad, new management set-up and a different, more positive attitude. So I fail to see how mentality can transfer from one season to the next. Results have been disappointing but generally performances have not and I'm ready to bin my 'I was there when Rotherham last won away' t-shirt before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Cayton, you make a sensible observation. In my experience though to play well, give 100% and still lose saps team confidence quicker than anything. A couple more defeats and imo the rot will set in. Warne is trying to run before the team can walk. He and his team are the opposite of Warnockian - they lack grip. Let's see who is right.
    I don't disagree with any of that Monty though I'm not sure what the "let's see who is right" relates to...

My point was OP said because we were loosing last season it has continued into this and warne is not helping with his interviews..
    What are fans wanting warne to say? What else as a team do the fans want..
    If you compare the Southend game to Peterborough. Both oppositions had there chances but Southend didn't score..
    we had about 8/9 chances in both games and scored 5 in one but only 1 in the other..
    Were all frustrated that our away recorded is poor over last 14 month...
    It won't last,. It can't last.

I will appoint myself as adjudicator on this topic because although I didn't go I am a doctor and was fast tracked through RGS( facts irrefutably confirmed by Nogginthenogbadlad)

I didn't get where I am today by being proud of failing Alevels..

Warney should not be proud of a team of losers...He should be proud when we start winning.

That!.is my final decision..He should not be proud.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast