+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet again, the EFL stick two fingers up to loyal footy fans....

Yet again, the EFL stick two fingers up to loyal footy fans....

.... with the draw for the third round of the Carabao Cup (the League Cup in old money). The third round draw will take place in Beijing at 04:15 am this Thursday. Yes, you read it right, it really happens at 04:15 in Beijing!!!! Even though we won't be involved, a few clubs at our level will. This is the round the big clubs (those in Europe) join, so it's an eagerly awaited fixture for a few lower league fans. Their excuse is that it opens up the competition to new markets, the reality is that Beijing offered the EFL enough cash to sell their souls. An utterly disgraceful decision, how long before a game will be played in China with a 04:15 kick off ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    .... with the draw for the third round of the Carabao Cup (the League Cup in old money). The third round draw will take place in Beijing at 04:15 am this Thursday. Yes, you read it right, it really happens at 04:15 in Beijing!!!! Even though we won't be involved, a few clubs at our level will. This is the round the big clubs (those in Europe) join, so it's an eagerly awaited fixture for a few lower league fans. Their excuse is that it opens up the competition to new markets, the reality is that Beijing offered the EFL enough cash to sell their souls. An utterly disgraceful decision, how long before a game will be played in China with a 04:15 kick off ?
    I get where you're coming from and I think most would agree with you, but - after the ridiculous talk of the 39th Premier League fixture a few years ago and the fear that may come up again in the future - staging the League Cup final in China would be a good compromise. We don't care about the League Cup anything like we used to, maybe playing towards a big event abroad would breath fresh life into it.

With how badly the first draw was done I doubt you'll be missing much

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I get where you're coming from and I think most would agree with you, but - after the ridiculous talk of the 39th Premier League fixture a few years ago and the fear that may come up again in the future - staging the League Cup final in China would be a good compromise. We don't care about the League Cup anything like we used to, maybe playing towards a big event abroad would breath fresh life into it.
    So you think a final played in China at 04:15 our time would breathe "fresh life" into the League Cup?

In that case I hope it dies a quicker death than the Pisspot Trophy.

I've read far more about the League Cup third round draw today than ever before.

I'd say the sponsors and consequently the EFL will say it's a job well done.

So you think a final played in China at 04:15 our time would breathe "fresh life" into the League Cup?

They're 8 hours ahead of us, so we'd most likely see it around lunchtime - or at least those who subscribe to Sky/BT, maybe 1pm if they kicked off at 9pm. Highlights on BBC or ITV at night.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    They're 8 hours ahead of us, so we'd most likely see it around lunchtime - or at least those who subscribe to Sky/BT, maybe 1pm if they kicked off at 9pm. Highlights on BBC or ITV at night.
    The timescale is irrelevant. It's the principle of whether a cup final involving two English teams should be played anywhere but Wembley.

Totally agree, it's worse than a joke.

The timescale is irrelevant. It's the principle of whether a cup final involving two English teams should be played anywhere but Wembley.
    Given the success of the NFL at Wembley, it is not surprising. I think that the English League is a truly global product and the EFL and FA no doubt want to tap in to the commercial revenues of the Far East in particular. It could actually benefit clubs like Notts if prize money is increased... meaning clubs and fans take this competition seriously. Just look at the attendance for our game v Scunny, oh and the side selected (hardly our 1st choice 11)

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Given the success of the NFL at Wembley, it is not surprising. I think that the English League is a truly global product and the EFL and FA no doubt want to tap in to the commercial revenues of the Far East in particular. It could actually benefit clubs like Notts if prize money is increased... meaning clubs and fans take this competition seriously. Just look at the attendance for our game v Scunny, oh and the side selected (hardly our 1st choice 11)
    Great idea. Lets just forget over a century of history and tradition and just tender all fixtures to the highest bidder.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast