+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: School And The 1973 Cup Final

School And The 1973 Cup Final

There were loads of em back in 73 at school , the Man Utd or Chelsea affect of today but wearing Leeds scarfs for school instead of replica shirts .

Nobody I knew went to Elland Road but they all watch em on YTV Sunday afternoon football highlights with Keith Macklin , the equivalent sky coverage today .

Harvey , Reaney , Madeley , Hunter , Giles , Bremner , Lorimar , Jones , Clarke and Gray .

They were nothing to do with me , I watched us at Oakwell in the 4th division getting hammered by Darlington , Stockport and Mansfield .

We never got past the first round of the cup , we were always knocked out by Halifax or Bradford City usually at home .

The day of the 73 cup final I was a Sunderland fan , I even wore my red n white bar scarf for the match that afternoon .

Sunderland didn't have a chance , they were a mid table second division team with players nobody had heard of and Leeds only had to turn up , score four or five goals and retain the cup .

That's how football worked for a 10 year old kid back then , especially if they went to Oakwell and knew nothing else .

I pinned my colours to Sunderland just to be awkward , I haven't changed in 45 years I hear you quite rightly say , even Mr Awkward of Awkwardville my old man shook his head , Leeds 3 or 4 nil he said and Sunderland will be lucky to get nil .

Sunderland scored fairly early on , my old man smiled and said still a long time to go and 4-1 Leeds .

Except Sunderland hung on , Jim Montgomery had the game of his life and Leeds just couldn't get anything passed him .

The longer the match went on the more nervous I became , I seem to remember going upstairs for 5 minutes because I was convinced Leeds were going to spoil it all and score and I didn't want to see it .

They didn't and Sunderland pulled off one of the great shocks of all time , I couldn't believe it .

School on monday was fun , we gave the Leeds fans !!! some right stick , fights broke out all break time , the score wrote on blackboards and hand signals and it went on for weeks , they never actually lived it down .

I had something to hit back with after we had got thrashed by Torquay , one word is all it took , " SUNDERLAND " , it was the topper to end all toppers , they were still flipping 6 months on.

During the dark days of bottom of the 4th division Sunderland gave me some ammo where there were none .

Just thought I'd share that with you , awkward pays tha noze :-) :-) :-)

Your not my dad are you Animal? He tells me the same story every time we get on about Leeds...He hated them with a passion and still does today. Win, lose or draw he always looks for the Leeds result. We were watching Jeff Stelling and Co one saturday afternoon and I went upstairs for a p1ss and heard this massive "yes!!!" I came running down the stairs barely enough time to shake it off. Dad, dad have we scored? No Stephen, Leeds are losing

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Your not my dad are you Animal? He tells me the same story every time we get on about Leeds...He hated them with a passion and still does today. Win, lose or draw he always looks for the Leeds result. We were watching Jeff Stelling and Co one saturday afternoon and I went upstairs for a p1ss and heard this massive "yes!!!" I came running down the stairs barely enough time to shake it off. Dad, dad have we scored? No Stephen, Leeds are losing
    Steve if am thi dad I want a fecking DNA test mi owd .

Only joking pal , luv thi really :-) :-) :-) :-)

Am his dad.

I love you too mate

Oh he's got loads of old tales Animal. One of his favourites is Anfield away in the cup from the early eighties. The more he tells it, the more we outplayed them. Liverpool fans clapped us off and we out sang the kop n' all that... Bank's miss gets worse and worse every time he tells it too.

Beating Chelsea regularly when they were sh1te. Never known Chelsea be sh1te lol. Hammering West Ham away 5-2. I look at him like he's an Alien in wonder sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I love you too mate

Oh he's got loads of old tales Animal. One of his favourites is Anfield away in the cup from the early eighties. The more he tells it, the more we outplayed them. Liverpool fans clapped us off and we out sang the kop n' all that... Bank's miss gets worse and worse every time he tells it too.

Beating Chelsea regularly when they were sh1te. Never known Chelsea be sh1te lol. Hammering West Ham away 5-2. I look at him like he's an Alien in wonder sometimes.
    Oh aye the scousers were such good sports in 82 .

Feckin hell , that's why we were all dodging house bricks and Stanley knifes all the way back to Lime Street station , about a 3 mile walk that made Syria look like Monaco .

I went to that cup final in 1973 i'll never forget it best player on the pitch that day was a lad called Richie Pitt.
    Also went to the 1970 one at Old Traford, Leed's lost that one anall

I went to that Liverpool game in 82' and they were appreciative in the ground and did applaud us off and we outsang the Kop! however I got hit in the face with a brick in a bag in the car park.......
    Oh and Chelsea were sh1te till that bloke who got killed in a helicopter took over and that 5-2 win in the League Cup over the happy Hammers will live long in the memory....you Redssssssssssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by redduke View Post
    Am his dad.

When the cup meant everything. Sadly not no more 😕

I think that was the last major trophy won by the so called 2 North East giants. Giants my arse