+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wembley of the North

That second half was excruciating. A win is a win, but any side with a better striker would have finished at least 3 of the chances they had against us second half. Knowing what we know about Pope, why was he given so much time and space? We rode our luck with the chance that hit the bar, but then allowed at least two more free headers after that - it's possible that we missed Raynes in there, who would have been the perfect player against Pope, but our defenders have to be closer to a player like him in the air.

Cooper got an assist and got a player sent off, but for the rest of the game seemed invisible. In the first half you could tell he had been picked out as a danger man - 2 or 3 Vale players on him every time he had the ball - but in the second half he had a lot more space yet still didn't create enough.

Honestly we were fortunate to get 3 points out of the game. That almost makes it even better because there's nothing funnier than seeing Vale fans suffer injustice, and so of course I had a great Saturday night and a hangover yesterday - but we need to be better when we come across a team that's actually capable.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeDS View Post
    That second half was excruciating. A win is a win, but any side with a better striker would have finished at least 3 of the chances they had against us second half. Knowing what we know about Pope, why was he given so much time and space? We rode our luck with the chance that hit the bar, but then allowed at least two more free headers after that - it's possible that we missed Raynes in there, who would have been the perfect player against Pope, but our defenders have to be closer to a player like him in the air.

Cooper got an assist and got a player sent off, but for the rest of the game seemed invisible. In the first half you could tell he had been picked out as a danger man - 2 or 3 Vale players on him every time he had the ball - but in the second half he had a lot more space yet still didn't create enough.

Honestly we were fortunate to get 3 points out of the game. That almost makes it even better because there's nothing funnier than seeing Vale fans suffer injustice, and so of course I had a great Saturday night and a hangover yesterday - but we need to be better when we come across a team that's actually capable.
    Notice you fail to mention us hitting the bar, our other chances we should have scored and the fact that Ben was never tested. You actually sound like a vale fan.

I didn't go to the WotN but am encouraged by two particular things. Firstly, we are winning matches that we wouldn't have for the last 2 or 3 seasons (Vale and Barnet) and not losing matches we would have lost. The reason for that is my other reason to be cheerful - we aren't conceding as many silly goals. Therefore 1 or 2 goals scored each game is enough.

We have been crying out for an effective defence since Adam was a lad and to get one you have to make compromises. I'm more than happy that the Back 4 (or 3 or 5) looks more solid, without Raynes, Ng, Zooms or Ray for one or more matches each, and that we are creating enough chances to get 1-0 wins or decent draws. I reckon we will start to create and convert more chances as the season goes on and the players are integrated fully into the way Dave likes to do things. I don't think it will make us Top 3 material, though I hope I'm wrong, but it keep us well away from the bottom 3rd and, who knows, maybe a play off place if we keep our best players all season.

Quote Originally Posted by England_First View Post
    Notice you fail to mention us hitting the bar, our other chances we should have scored and the fact that Ben was never tested. You actually sound like a vale fan.
    One thing I can never be questioned of being is a Vale fan. I'm just honest about it - it feels amazing to beat the Vale, as it always does, but that second half could have gone a lot differently. Of course, it could have been different for us too if Porter had put his header either side of the keeper or if Zooms attempt had gone in, but at that point a better opposition would have already scored against us. It's good that we can grind out 1-0 wins, but we need to do our homework in future about players like Pope, who we afforded too much time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12