+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple question- should Mackinnon go ?

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post
    I find it bizarre that those who criticise Mackinnon are somehow seen to hope he fails.
    We're all United fans and would be delighted to see him lead us to the title.
    From last season and this season it just seems unlikely.
    Agreed, i cant get my head around this either tbh

Quote Originally Posted by SmedDUm View Post
    For a place that's suffered one defeat in 32 games Tannadice ain't exactly buzzing, is it?

Please check my stat, I think I saw 32 somewhere.
    nae wonder the product on display has been absolutely dreadful, yes we've came away with wins but deary me, how bad have we been. No wonder the place isnt 'buzzing'

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Results don't matter, it's all about the performance.
    They go hand in hand, that run we were on last season was just luck, sheer luck IMO as we were coming away from wins saying, how the f uck did we manage that, f ucking awful performances. Then we stopped winning still playing extremely poorly and what happened, Hibs ran away with it and we struggled to get 3rd place. Start playing well and we will go on and win this league, but if we continue like this as we did last season, we wont win this league!

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    Newbie supporters are not going to follow a team that is playing crap football, no matter how many games they grind out wins.
    As i said in a previous post Ram, PATG will suffer with this, 100%

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    As i said in a previous post Ram, PATG will suffer with this, 100%

I can remember during our annual, most often 'extended' run in Europe as part of the 'New Firm' (remember them?). Back then Rangers and Celtic were regularly ousted from European competitions early on and well before Xmas, whilst the New Firm continued to fly the flag for Scotland into the new year. I vividly remember standing in the turnstile queue with 'decent' (honestly they do exist) Rangers and Celtic fans, who had travelled through from Glasgow (sometimes sharing the same car) to see a 'proper' European night of great football, which their own Clubs had disappointed them with. It was the prospect of seeing open, attacking, exciting football which turned them into Shed men for the evening. I stood beside two of them when United 'slew' Borussia Munchengladbach 5-0 after their manager,. Jupp Heynkes had stated they would make the next round with ease (they came here 2-0 up). These 'decent' Weedgies could not have been more delighted nor supportive even if it had been their own team.

Our current style of football is turning Tannadice into funeral wake on match days.

Our current style of football is turning Tannadice into funeral wake on match days.
    it is indeed

In the past Dundee United were noted for playing open, attacking, exciting football. It helped to turn the tables on the Fun having a bigger support. Wee Jim worked absolute wonders. United gained supporters from Angus, Fife and beyond, which they would never have had without the attractive style of football they played. We all want results, the right results, but if they are not accompanied by attractive football, we will suffer in the long run. Newbie supporters are not going to follow a team that is playing crap football, no matter how many games they grind out wins.

Leicester City won the EPL a few seasons back playing awful to watch football. Apart from a few games they were always in the negative in terms of possession, shots on goal etc. Do you think their fans cared?

We'd all love to see pretty football but it rarely wins you trophies look at Spurs (my team by the way). Chelsea too won the EPL last season playing a tedious counter attacking style of football... again.... do you think their fans care?

Even though it ain't good on the eye I feel we are still beating our opponents at home because we are better than them, it's our away form that's worrying and could be Ray's downfall rather than his style of play. Still early days yet though, we have the players to entertain and it might just click given time but I'd rather win the league ugly than finish in the play offs Spursesque.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Leicester City won the EPL a few seasons back playing awful to watch football. Apart from a few games they were always in the negative in terms of possession, shots on goal etc. Do you think their fans cared?

We'd all love to see pretty football but it rarely wins you trophies look at Spurs (my team by the way). Chelsea too won the EPL last season playing a tedious counter attacking style of football... again.... do you think their fans care?

Even though it ain't good on the eye I feel we are still beating our opponents at home because we are better than them, it's our away form that's worrying and could be Ray's downfall rather than his style of play. Still early days yet though, we have the players to entertain and it might just click given time but I'd rather win the league ugly than finish in the play offs Spursesque.
    Let me put it this way. I like my football to be entertaining. As a young ****ager I was attracted to Dundee United because of this in the days of Donald McKay, Doug Smith, Andy Rolland et al. Things got a lot better under Jim McLean. If I am not being entertained by good, attractive football, I will simply find other pursuits that I find enjoyable. Football isn't my life. It is a past time that I enjoy, as long as it's enjoyable to watch. It is testimony to my love for Dundee United Football Club that I have continued with them these past three years or so, in spite of what I have just said. I can accept winning whilst playing crap, occasionally, or even during a major game, but generally speaking this standard is not for me. The general standard for me has to be open, attractive, entertaining football.

Let me put it this way. I like my football to be entertaining. As a young ****ager I was attracted to Dundee United because of this in the days of Donald McKay, Doug Smith, Andy Rolland et al. Things got a lot better under Jim McLean. If I am not being entertained by good, attractive football, I will simply find other pursuits that I find enjoyable. Football isn't my life. It is a past time that I enjoy, as long as it's enjoyable to watch. It is testimony to my love for Dundee United Football Club that I have continued with them these past three years or so, in spite of what I have just said. I can accept winning whilst playing crap, occasionally, or even during a major game, but generally speaking this standard is not for me. The general standard for me has to be open, attractive, entertaining football.
    Who doesn't want this? In an ideal world we'd all like to win the league playing open, attractive football but winning is king just now.

The last 3 years or so have been hell no doubt about that but I'm willing to put up with scrappy wins if it means us getting out this fkn league, especially scrappy wins away from home that might put a smile on meh pus on the bus hame.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Results don't matter, it's all about the performance.
    Play rubbish and we need a last minute goal to beat Brechin. Play rubbish and we get done 3 nil by St Mirren. Play rubbish and only win V Alloa after 3 changes!

Play well in all these games and the morgue awakens, we are still top of the league and the fans who bothered to go are treated to a bonus win!

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)