+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Loan midfielder

Loan midfielder

Conor Grant from Everton signs loan to January 10th. Sounds like a good signing to me. Probably go straight into 1st team. Will not be surprised if there is some unhappy supporters who will feel he could hold back some of our own.

But for me based upon our recent displays we badly needed improvement in our midfield. We also desperattely need Brad Walker in the centre of the park, not in the heart of our defence. Afraid that most of our own young midfielders are currently not ready for our 1st team. Not strong enough, not ready, and not competitive to the level required. The one exception at this given moment would of course be George Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    The one exception at this given moment would of course be George Cooper.
    James Jones and Callum Ainley are exceptions as well for me. I was actually quite pleased we had no loan players, up until a few days ago that is.
    Last edited by jimmyboldon; 30-08-2017 at 06:09 PM.

I agree Jimmy. I hope our own lads keep this fella out of the team. Nothing wrong with competition for places but if Jones, Ainley and Lowery spend the next 3 months warming their backsides on the bench then that's not good business. I'd rather be signing these loanees in January if, and only if, our lads aren't up to it.

I don't have as big an issue with Stubbs as George has to prove his fitness, Perry and Rayners already have knocks and I remain unconvinced by Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I'd rather be signing these loanees in January if, and only if, our lads aren't up to it.
    But what's the old adage? - make hay while the sun shines?
    And we are only 4 games in so "the sun" ain't been shining for long.

If Jonah is a key member of the squad - which he is - and he is unavailable, he needs a temporary replacement.
    And that's what Grant is, and a decent replacement too judging by how he did at promoted Doncaster last season (and against us! )
    And don't forget, I love the look of Lowery but he is still only 19 and, let's be honest, this is his first real season.
    We can't realistically expect him to play every game, can we?

This is where I get made to look a fool and Dave drops Wintle for Grant - but I don't think he will. He clearly likes the progress Wintle is making, often calling him the best player in the U23s last season.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I don't have as big an issue with Stubbs as George has to prove his fitness, Perry and Rayners already have knocks and I remain unconvinced by Nolan.
    Exactly!
    Smart move by Dave and his team.
    Raynes out, George out for longer - arguably we should have signed 2 for cover.
    But Stubbs has pedigree. If he is half as good as his Dad, at this level that will do.

This is where we work the loan system quite well, plugging gaps when they arise.
    And that's how we should use it in my view. Not build a squad around them.

And Grant lasts for 18 minutes...

Well if he's knocked unconscious hard to expect a longer debut.