+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "New Ground"

New stadiums which have gone up in the last 20 odd years have mainly been built on the outskirts of towns and cities. I see town centres in this day and age are almost defunct.On the other hand, all the retail parks on the outskirts are absolutely thriving and are chocka block wi shoppers.

Look at our own town for instance, going thru a phase of redevelopment but I can't help but think that it is a waste of money. Hopefully it won't be the case but let's face it, shoppers these days go to Meadowhall, cortonwood, parkgate, white rose donny etc for the things they want. Meanwhile in the town centre trade is dying a slow death, shops and businesses either closing down or relocating elsewhere. All you're left with in Barnsley now punter wise is the stalwarts who've shopped there all their lives, the older generation. When they pass there'll be no bugga interested.

Families now go to retail parks and shopping centres in their car. Once there, they have all the amenities they need- fast food outlets, cinemas, shops, family-friendly pubs. All the mod cons for the average lazy modern day family In some cases they have the football ground too. You get my drift?

Times change and move on. However, I'm a traditionalist. I get my meat from the local butcher, fish from the market along with veg. My missus sez why not get it all from a supermarket, it's convenient and easier. Of course she's reight but I like the quality of the butchers meat and market fish and make the effort to go and get it on foot. When there you barely see folk younger than me actually shopping. It brings it home that it's only got a few years left, that is assuming unless the redevelopment works and rejuvenates the town and markets.

Far easier to whack it all in your boot in Morrisons or Lidl car park now innit. It's all about convenience, that's what the punters want.

Building a new stadium on the outskirts with good transport links will attract more families I'm sure. It's the right environment for them. They could go in their car wi art gerrin stuck in the traffic on pontefract rd, or walking in the pyssing rain, watch the match then go for their snap after at one of the numerous food outlets. It's the whole package. That's the modern day fan.

It's not for me but I've accepted it. Change is inevitable whether you like it or not. We still have a choice as they say.

Everyone putting this that and the other together when nothing definite has been confirmed what will happen happens wether the takeover is done or not

Definitely not for me! I love the character of our ground, the walk down to oakwell usually gives me a better feeling than what I see on the pitch and I'm not a fan of the modern "soulless" stadiums. Fingers crossed Mr Lee doesn't have a new ground on his agenda

How much of a bigger ground would we realistically need, even if we made it to the promised land? I reckon you could easily upgrade the existing site and cater for all the potential home fans. Sort out the West Stand and the corner plots and job's a good 'un.

Part of the beauty of Oakwell is that it is walking distance from pubs. train/bus station.

I went to Bolton last time we played 'em away and I saw their fans queuing in the wind and rain fo double deckers to tek 'em into tarn(Bolton). Not fo me.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
    How much of a bigger ground would we realistically need, even if we made it to the promised land? I reckon you could easily upgrade the existing site and cater for all the potential home fans. Sort out the West Stand and the corner plots and job's a good 'un.
    Agree withi Old Goat ,but Old Bill will stick thu nooases in no doubt , wi Carnt use neerly a thirda grarnd cos o them muppets

Quote Originally Posted by bigred1032 View Post
    Definitely not for me! I love the character of our ground, the walk down to oakwell usually gives me a better feeling than what I see on the pitch and I'm not a fan of the modern "soulless" stadiums. Fingers crossed Mr Lee doesn't have a new ground on his agenda
    Like, tha reyt bigred totally agree

if a new owner in the future whoever may be wants to buy the ground and wants to develop the stadium from its current status the West stand can be done without any land size issue. Old Trafford similar situation with the railway lines (not housing) behind it.

Out of interest ? What size ground attendance wise , do you think we would need if we did move ? (God forbid )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast