+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Museums/Points of Interest

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Don't got to the Wallace Monument if you dinna want a walk
    Is it suitable for a push bike?

Aye there is a road to the monument. Uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    Done any of the Scottish history places like the Wallace monument, Bannockburn, Stirling castle etc? Thinking of going off in the van for a week ending up at Pittodrie for the hibs game wouldn't mind getting a few of these places in on the way.

Anyone been? I need parking and places that don't involve too far a walk.
    Don't bother. It's **** and they charge you cash to climb it. You can see it for free from several vantage points around the town.

PS. About the only interesting thing in Stirling (a dismal wee town) is the Peaky Blinders boozer.

Aye there is a road to the monument. Uphill.
    Took the shuttle bus. Glad I visited, worth it for the views alone. Managed not to buy a replica William Wallace sword for £299.

Tactics wise I probably would have let a few more English cross the rickety old bridge before steaming in to cut them up but maybe I'm being picky.

Stirling Castle is worth a toddle round, great big car park where they let buses park but no motorhomes for some reason. The park and ride gets you up to a reasonable walking distance though.

The site on the Battle of Bannockburn is ok for a short visit. Nice latte and a millionaires shortbread.

Fun fact: Robert the Bruce defeated the Earl of Buchan at the Battle of Inverurie which took place at the summit of Barra Hill (Oldmeldrum) they had a bit of beef as it was the Earls cousin, John Comyn that the Bruce murdered in 1289 as he felt threatened by his claim to the throne.

The Earl got battered all over the shop and ran away to hide in England. Sounds like a right tw*t.

Was the Battle of Inverurie the same battle as the Battle of Barra.?

Did you do the virtual tour at Bannockburn

Accorduyng to a quick Google search aye it is. I've never heard of either. I had heard of the Battle of Harlaw. Which is also pretty close to Inverurie. On the way to Pitcaple if my childhood memories aren't letting me down.

I presume it was. Rumour has it there is a secret tunnel that runs from the castle to the hill. We've never found it from years of looking.

Didn't do the 3D tour it is quite popular and needs to be pre-booked.

Quote Originally Posted by Devanha Red View Post
    Accorduyng to a quick Google search aye it is. I've never heard of either. I had heard of the Battle of Harlaw. Which is also pretty close to Inverurie. On the way to Pitcaple if my childhood memories aren't letting me down.
    The Battle of Harlaw Monument is just off the Rothie road at the roundabout coming out of Inverurie. Balhargardy turn off

Another question. Was Mons Graupius fought on Bennachie and not near Elgin as it is claimed

The Battle of Harlaw Monument is just off the Rothie road at the roundabout coming out of Inverurie. Balhargardy turn off

Another question. Was Mons Graupius fought on Bennachie and not near Elgin as it is claimed
    No idea. I'd like to think it was at Bennachie but you'd think some anorak with a metal detector would of found loads of old Roman crap there if it was.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast