+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    It was 2005/06 but you make a good point KTMFH.

The last game in August we won at Mansfield to go 3 points clear at the top of the table. (That was the last time we won at Mansfield).

We then went 9 games without a win and ended the season winning 1 of our last 16 games and finishing 21st and 3 points off going out of the league.

Looking at Stats:

In each of the last 4 seasons, 4 teams who were in the top 7 after 5 games finished in the top 7 at the end of the season.

Of those 16 teams over the 4 seasons, 8 won automatic promotion and 8 reached the play-offs but only 1 won the play-off final. In the other 3 seasons the winner of the play-off final was not in the top 7 after 5 games.

What does all that prove? Absolutely nothing! What’s happened in the past doesn’t have a bearing on what’s going to happen this season.

I’d rather be in 5th with 10 points though, after 5 games than 5th from bottom with 4 points.

Over the last 10 seasons 52 points would have seen you retain your place in the Football League. So that’s only 42 more points to go to safety!
    That's very interesting reading, thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    It was 2005/06 but you make a good point KTMFH.

The last game in August we won at Mansfield to go 3 points clear at the top of the table. (That was the last time we won at Mansfield).

We then went 9 games without a win and ended the season winning 1 of our last 16 games and finishing 21st and 3 points off going out of the league.

Looking at Stats:

In each of the last 4 seasons, 4 teams who were in the top 7 after 5 games finished in the top 7 at the end of the season.

Of those 16 teams over the 4 seasons, 8 won automatic promotion and 8 reached the play-offs but only 1 won the play-off final. In the other 3 seasons the winner of the play-off final was not in the top 7 after 5 games.

What does all that prove? Absolutely nothing! What’s happened in the past doesn’t have a bearing on what’s going to happen this season.

I’d rather be in 5th with 10 points though, after 5 games than 5th from bottom with 4 points.

Over the last 10 seasons 52 points would have seen you retain your place in the Football League. So that’s only 42 more points to go to safety!
    Very interesting stats, I must admit that I don't take much notice of the table until after 10/12 games other than the more early points we get the less chance of a panic later. I must say that considering we won away I have been surprised by some of the negativity in this thread, if nothing else we are 7 points clear of relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Crickets sounds more exciting

Cricket exciting ? lol.

Table is by the by at this stage but I think the really promising thing is that the team (the opening day aside where we just didn't look ready for it) seem to be following Nolan's game plan pretty much by the book every week.

Whether it's the style or the game plan that most of us want to see is another matter, i'm personally not that bothered as long as we're winning games, but Nolan has made no secret of the fact that it's how he wants his team to be.

I find it interesting that some fans think we may end up mid table. Although 5 games is by no means a barometer of how this season will pan out, the teams we have played would all have probably made most peoples short list for top half finishes. In fact out of all the teams played, Coventry were thought of the least on a betting front. So given the teams we have played and done OK against, I think it seems we are doing well, the acid test will be against teams that don't 'come at us'.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213