+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 goals 5 games

5 goals 5 games

I raised this idea (as just a thought provoking idea) on another thread. However, I believe it needs its own thread so we can discuss it. Basically, why, with all the scoring power we have upfront, are struggling to score? For me, we appear to be playing too narrow and don't seem to be getting enough players forward. Most of the goals we have scored have come from wide and the scorer has just needed a touch. I know I'm old-fashioned but what we need is a bit of traditional wing play to get behind the opposition.

Just to clarify, this thread is not a criticism of our two main strikers but a worry about the fact that no-one else seems like scoring at the moment.

We could certainly do with the midfield chipping in. Hopefully, they will start against Chesterfield.

Yes it is a concern that we have not been banging the goals in, especially with our strike-force.

Afraid our midfield are not linkimg with our forwards in any positive manner. Looks like we are going to have to give priotity to getting Brad Walker and Conor Grant as our midfield asap.

I agree it could *become* an issue but I don't think it is one yet.
    Our Achilles heel for years has been at the other end - and conceding only 4 in the first 5, (and 2 of those were on day one!), has to be highlighted too.

Very encouraging signs in that regard.
    Wycombe are 4th with 13 goals - but have conceded 11. I know which I would rather have.

It's a bit like those who say they would settle for a stable mid-table season - I wouldnt, I still want play-offs as a minimum, but I'd take a 1-0 every week!!
    And I wouldn't care who scores or how.

If we were *bottom* 8 of course, I would probably hold a completely different pov!

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    We could certainly do with the midfield chipping in. Hopefully, they will start against Chesterfield.

Will that do you?

And 2 goals disallowed.
    And we even scored for the oppo.

10 goals in 6.
    Strikers firing.
    Midfielders - and even defenders - chipping in.
    And Vale bottom!!

Looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Will that do you?

And 2 goals disallowed.
    And we even scored for the oppo.

10 goals in 6.
    Strikers firing.
    Midfielders - and even defenders - chipping in.
    And Vale bottom!!

Looks good to me!
    Could have easily been 10. Artell has made a refreshing change to this club since he took over.

At last! Lots of good movement today. Lowery was an absolute star. Let's not get carried away though!
    However, can't wait for Tuesday (low-scoring & low conceding Cambridge.)

For me Having Brad Walker in the midfield at long last was the major change. He absolutely ran the game in the middle of the park. For the first time this season our midfield was linking with our forwards and supporting them with positive runs. Felt that Walker and Wintle were our main contibutors and worked tirelessly in the middle in an attacking and defending sense. Big, big improvement, and at last strength in our midfield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast