+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Experience of non-English domestic football

Experience of non-English domestic football

For no reason than just nosiness, who's seen any non-English footy, other than internationals? I watched Scottish games in the distant past (very strange, at the height of Rangers/Celtic dominance, the dropoff below them was amazing), I've watched my 'Spanish' team Real Mallorca go from a concrete wreck of a ground and a great team to a great stadium and a wreck of a team, and fans quite hostile to foreigners even if supporting RM, and Greek third division (ahem, I would describe this as 'parks' standard, I always pop down and watch Aegina Saronikas if they are playing when I'm there, it's real kick and rush stuff)

anyone?

I try and catch a match wherever I travel which isn't always possible.

The last few years seen a few games in north, south and central america (Depending on your definition).

What its tought me is that we don't have the best football or fans over here as we are constantly told. Football is generally negative and petty here now and the atmospheres almost not existent in comparison.

Argentina I would say was the best experience with an atmosphere that still give me goose bumps now and the football was proper physical football but with skill. Brazilian football not far behind and similar to Mexican. The standard I did find poor was the MSL. If you are behind the goal having a BBQ during the game and the standard is that of League 2 at best I am not sure how it will ever seriously develop.

I've seen a few in Ireland and Scotland over the years, Bray v Finn Harps, Sligo v Cork, Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers.

Rangers v Celtic, Rangers v Dundee Utd, and Celtic v Rangers. The one that sticks out is Bray v Finn Harps over the Christmas period years back. The ground is across the road from the train station in Bray which is right on the coast not to far from Dublin. It was feckin' freezing with a hurricane blowing and pissing down in rain and ended up 0-0. I remember walking out the ground thinking I've paid money to watch that! In Scotland the Celtic v Rangers was the best atmosphere I've ever known, It was a night match and proud wearing a Derby home shirt, I remember Celtic fans asking what I thought of the Burley signing (Craig not George) as they were sorry to see him go. The game had everything, it had been raining all day and looked like it could be called off, Celtic had a goal disallowed Rangers had a penno saved and Rangers won with a goal near the end by one of the Wallace brothers (Rod I think, I always forget which one was which) and with that Rangers won that 0-1. Also I remember being in Rome and seeing all these people with sky blue and white scarves and realised I'd missed a footy match, it was a friendly and Gazza's first match for Lazio. I can remember being gutted for months!
    My ambition is to watch the local derby of River Plate v Boca Juniors, think it would be a better atmsphere than the Celtic v Rangers game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDW5JW1JE5w&t=36s
    Last edited by Manofpride; 04-09-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Went to the Prague derby in 2005. Very hostile but brilliant atmosphere. Very few females in attendance though they probably know what generally happens.

Also seen the Gambian national side (under 23's) play Mali. I know it's not domestic but the whole of the country gets whipped up by the game. Better experience than the above as absolutely no hatred.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)