+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan letter to Ashley from Paul Nicholson

Fan letter to Ashley from Paul Nicholson

This is the fan letter that has gone viral recently.

Pretty decent i think.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Ashley,

I, like many others, am a life-long Newcastle United fan. I have had my season ticket for 40 of my 47 years. When I started going to games, we were a struggling team with no superstars, and were a club going nowhere. We were drifting along in the lower to middle echelons of – what was then – the second division, with an ageing stadium and a board of local businessmen who were happy to let the club simply exist.

When Sir John Hall bought the club, we finally thought our time had come. Not our time to win trophies, but our time to finally support a club we could be proud of. He transformed us into a side that everyone up and down the country – if not throughout the footballing world – wanted to watch.

In the end, we won nothing, but during that time every fan looked forward to a weekend. We were excited to go to the games – whether at home, or hundreds of miles away on a cold, wet February Tuesday night.

I have told Sam, my 10-year-old son, all of the stories about our 5-0 win over Manchester United, and Asprilla’s hat-trick in our 3-2 win over Barcelona.

After much coaxing and persuasion, my stories finally wore off on him, and like me, my dad and my grandad before that (he) became a Newcastle fan.

He got his first season ticket midway through last season’s successful Championship campaign and he loved it. He was excited about this Premier League season, particularly as I had told him that with Rafael Benitez at the helm and promises that had been made, finally, we may return to the days of having a team to be proud of. Not a trophy-winning, perennial Champions League qualifying team, but one that will win as many games as we don’t and nestle into the Premier League without the constant worry of relegation every year.

I should, of course, have known better.

In Rafa, we have one of the master tacticians in world football. (He) is a manager that most clubs would beg for. When it comes to the game we all love, he, above all others at our club, should be listened to.

So it mystifies and bemuses me why when he – ”the right man” to lead Newcastle United as you called him during your recent interview – advises you that we need particular players to make us a team able to compete in the Premier League (on the back of promises and assurances that were made to him), he was ignored.

The time to be bold was now. The time to listen to those that know was now. The time to make a footballing statement was now. The time to maintain the growing momentum and feel-good factor was now.

Unfortunately, Mr Ashley, you failed on all levels.

Whether you are wanting to own a club that has a possibility of a good cup run or a European spot in the table or whether you are – as you claimed – actively trying to sell the club, then surely the best way to achieve either would be to have a moderately successful product that would either perform to the best of its ability or look like an attractive proposal for a potential buyer?

My bet, as a fan with a vested interest, is that your interest lies in neither of the above statements. My personal opinion, for what it’s worth, is that you are happy to see the club plodding along with a minimum of ambition and continue to use the club and particularly the stadium, as a platform to continually promote your Sports Direct brand as an unofficial sponsor, with little to no money being paid to the club for doing so.

You claimed that you will not put a penny more into the club from your own fortune yet if your Sports Direct company were an official sponsor, considering all of the advertising in and around the ground, the sponsorship deal would likely be worth a lot more than the amounts of money you have put into the club already.

For us – the fans – it is heart-breaking. We have a love for our club which many would say is unrivalled. It is blind loyalty. If we go into one of your sports stores and we don’t like the items you are selling we can just shop elsewhere. With Newcastle United we do not have that luxury. You know that, and you exploit that.

We all watched your interview on Sky. We all hoped we would finally get a chance to hear you answer questions that fans have long been asking. Unfortunately, all we got was a stage-managed monologue of Mike Ashley.

We didn’t want to watch a performance that told us nothing a friendly chat with a friend and stable-mate, who was never going to ask a hard-hitting question that might be difficult for you to answer or put you on the spot.

I have gone full circle in my time as a fan. We have had our fleeting moment, our flirtation with success. We are now back to the ambitionless, struggling side, just ticking over, without ever making an effort to better themselves.

Rather than pleading you case through Sky and playing to a national media that, on the whole, enjoys nothing more than reporting on and ridiculing the soap opera that is Newcastle United – particularly when things are inevitably going wrong – make yourself available to speak to me, or fans like me, or the local journalists at the Chronicle, who will ask the questions that need answering. Speak to someone who will at least try to hold you to account on your broken promises and admitted mistakes – the biggest of which you may have just made this summer.

I would gladly speak to you, listen to you, and have an open mind about anything you, Mr Charnley, Mr Barnes et al, had to say.

Failing that local journalists, who by representing the fans, the club actually means something – would also relish the opportunity to sit down and put our concerns to you. I suspect you will not, but you would – if not get everyone on your side – instantly gain a modicum of respect from the 52,000 fans that pay to see the team you own every week, and the hundreds of thousands that support it from afar.

Failure to do something, could result in the anarchy that arose a few years ago, except if Rafa were to leave, it would be ten-fold.

The fans are the life-blood of this football club. We don’t own it. We don’t buy players. We don’t seek sponsorship deals. But we do keep it alive.

Without the fans, this club would be nothing. It would not exist. We have been taken for granted for too long. Your lack of communication with the regional press, and failure to acknowledge our concerns is a dismissal of our importance to the club in your eyes.

But you should remember:

WE are the reason Rafa decided to stay at the club.

WE are the reason the ground was full week after week in the Championship.

WE are the reason that the club makes so much money from shirt and other merchandise sales.

WE are the reason that you can rely on high season ticket sales year upon year.

WE are the reason there is a Newcastle United at all.

But be aware: WE are also the reason that the whole club could fall apart.

I realise that you are not likely to read this – or even know that this letter exists – but if, by chance, you do, I urge you to put things right.

Put in writing to Rafa that you will back him unconditionally in January. Speak to people that matter to the fans.

Install someone who has a passion for the club in a role of actively seeking out a potential buyer, by selling the vision of Newcastle United that they share with Rafa Benitez, and every single one of its fans.

To allow the club to stagnate and continue to slip into footballing irrelevance is an insult to the loyal fans and could prove to be too much for many.

Paul Nicholson

Now that sums up everything in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    This is the fan letter that has gone viral recently.

Pretty decent i think.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Ashley,

I, like many others, am a life-long Newcastle United fan. I have had my season ticket for 40 of my 47 years. When I started going to games, we were a struggling team with no superstars, and were a club going nowhere. We were drifting along in the lower to middle echelons of – what was then – the second division, with an ageing stadium and a board of local businessmen who were happy to let the club simply exist.

When Sir John Hall bought the club, we finally thought our time had come. Not our time to win trophies, but our time to finally support a club we could be proud of. He transformed us into a side that everyone up and down the country – if not throughout the footballing world – wanted to watch.

In the end, we won nothing, but during that time every fan looked forward to a weekend. We were excited to go to the games – whether at home, or hundreds of miles away on a cold, wet February Tuesday night.

I have told Sam, my 10-year-old son, all of the stories about our 5-0 win over Manchester United, and Asprilla’s hat-trick in our 3-2 win over Barcelona.

After much coaxing and persuasion, my stories finally wore off on him, and like me, my dad and my grandad before that (he) became a Newcastle fan.

He got his first season ticket midway through last season’s successful Championship campaign and he loved it. He was excited about this Premier League season, particularly as I had told him that with Rafael Benitez at the helm and promises that had been made, finally, we may return to the days of having a team to be proud of. Not a trophy-winning, perennial Champions League qualifying team, but one that will win as many games as we don’t and nestle into the Premier League without the constant worry of relegation every year.

In Rafa, we have one of the master tacticians in world football. (He) is a manager that most clubs would beg for. When it comes to the game we all love, he, above all others at our club, should be listened to.

So it mystifies and bemuses me why when he – ”the right man” to lead Newcastle United as you called him during your recent interview – advises you that we need particular players to make us a team able to compete in the Premier League (on the back of promises and assurances that were made to him), he was ignored.

The time to be bold was now. The time to listen to those that know was now. The time to make a footballing statement was now. The time to maintain the growing momentum and feel-good factor was now.

Whether you are wanting to own a club that has a possibility of a good cup run or a European spot in the table or whether you are – as you claimed – actively trying to sell the club, then surely the best way to achieve either would be to have a moderately successful product that would either perform to the best of its ability or look like an attractive proposal for a potential buyer?

My bet, as a fan with a vested interest, is that your interest lies in neither of the above statements. My personal opinion, for what it’s worth, is that you are happy to see the club plodding along with a minimum of ambition and continue to use the club and particularly the stadium, as a platform to continually promote your Sports Direct brand as an unofficial sponsor, with little to no money being paid to the club for doing so.

You claimed that you will not put a penny more into the club from your own fortune yet if your Sports Direct company were an official sponsor, considering all of the advertising in and around the ground, the sponsorship deal would likely be worth a lot more than the amounts of money you have put into the club already.

For us – the fans – it is heart-breaking. We have a love for our club which many would say is unrivalled. It is blind loyalty. If we go into one of your sports stores and we don’t like the items you are selling we can just shop elsewhere. With Newcastle United we do not have that luxury. You know that, and you exploit that.

We all watched your interview on Sky. We all hoped we would finally get a chance to hear you answer questions that fans have long been asking. Unfortunately, all we got was a stage-managed monologue of Mike Ashley.

We didn’t want to watch a performance that told us nothing a friendly chat with a friend and stable-mate, who was never going to ask a hard-hitting question that might be difficult for you to answer or put you on the spot.

I have gone full circle in my time as a fan. We have had our fleeting moment, our flirtation with success. We are now back to the ambitionless, struggling side, just ticking over, without ever making an effort to better themselves.

Rather than pleading you case through Sky and playing to a national media that, on the whole, enjoys nothing more than reporting on and ridiculing the soap opera that is Newcastle United – particularly when things are inevitably going wrong – make yourself available to speak to me, or fans like me, or the local journalists at the Chronicle, who will ask the questions that need answering. Speak to someone who will at least try to hold you to account on your broken promises and admitted mistakes – the biggest of which you may have just made this summer.

I would gladly speak to you, listen to you, and have an open mind about anything you, Mr Charnley, Mr Barnes et al, had to say.

Failing that local journalists, who by representing the fans, the club actually means something – would also relish the opportunity to sit down and put our concerns to you. I suspect you will not, but you would – if not get everyone on your side – instantly gain a modicum of respect from the 52,000 fans that pay to see the team you own every week, and the hundreds of thousands that support it from afar.

Failure to do something, could result in the anarchy that arose a few years ago, except if Rafa were to leave, it would be ten-fold.

The fans are the life-blood of this football club. We don’t own it. We don’t buy players. We don’t seek sponsorship deals. But we do keep it alive.

Without the fans, this club would be nothing. It would not exist. We have been taken for granted for too long. Your lack of communication with the regional press, and failure to acknowledge our concerns is a dismissal of our importance to the club in your eyes.

But you should remember:

WE are the reason that the club makes so much money from shirt and other merchandise sales.

I realise that you are not likely to read this – or even know that this letter exists – but if, by chance, you do, I urge you to put things right.

Put in writing to Rafa that you will back him unconditionally in January. Speak to people that matter to the fans.

Install someone who has a passion for the club in a role of actively seeking out a potential buyer, by selling the vision of Newcastle United that they share with Rafa Benitez, and every single one of its fans.

To allow the club to stagnate and continue to slip into footballing irrelevance is an insult to the loyal fans and could prove to be too much for many.

Paul Nicholson
    Read this earlier and thought what a great letter, Ashley if he does read it will probably be sitting in his chair having a good laugh no doubt!!!

ASHLEY OUT!!!

ii always crack up when these johnny come latelys spout recent facts

where were they when we were getting 18ooo a week ,when he says this club would be nothing without the fans

well i have sat in the ground and wondered where the great geordie army was

yes he makes great points

yes the games he mentions were great days out

but ask youreself this
    if ash hadnt brought us

and no one else was in for us

where would we be

under ash and he has loads of problems we still have a club
    we still all be it are in the prem and had some great seasons in the fizzy

we were on the down the clowns before him had sold everything and more
    the mckeags were terrible

yet we constatly bark at ash

rightly so in most cases

but we have no god given right to be prem champiosn or even top 8

but we still have a club

and a club in safe hands if not a trphy winning side

If that was an actual letter (not an electronic one) I have no doubt in my mind, Ashley would wipe his @rse with it.

Admire the sentiments but Ashley will seriously not give one single fuck.

Course he won't think Kal is probably correct with what he'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nicholson View Post

Dear Mr Ashley,

You would be classed as a supporter through thick and thin. Most of your life seeing little success and minor flirts with potential success.
    Sir John Hall and co can be commended on the vision they saw at the time. In a market where they believed they could exploit for the good of the city and club which means the fans as a whole.
    It was a calculated gamble that very very nearly paid off for the shirt term but little would they have known of the influx of oil super billionaires and Sheikh's flooding the market with blank cheque books for all the tasty clubs.
    It was possible that you could have ended up without a club or at best a club without the resources to climb out from the depths it very nearly went down to.

Your boy lived on your dreams and your stories.
    He bought into the ways of you and your father, etc.
    This is characteristic of all football fans, whether their team has any history or is steeped in it.
    Unconditional love for your club, on the whole.
    You told your son that Rafa Benitez was at the helm and he was promised stuff.
    What was he promised that wasn't put out there?
    Do you actually know?

What does Rafa Benitez deserve that isn't already being provided by what the club generates at this present time?
    What has he been promised that hasn't been delivered or is still there without being used?
    And do you know the reasons behind anything that you're objecting to?

Listen to who and for what?
    If the club does not have the finances to work on a level of the more established premier league teams then it has to wait for generated cash to appear...or borrow money...or I have to sell shares to fund it out of my own pocket.
    Which one is most logical?

I made my first mistakes when I bought the club, both financially in terms of rushing in without doing due diligence in order to beat a consortium.
    My mind at the time was to catapult the club into the higher reaches but my naivety cost us many years of turmoil in which I ensured would not be at the detriment of the club sinking out of existence...something that the people who sold me it were not too fussed about.

I'd love the club to be up there at the top but how do you compete with those clubs at the top unless you have blank cheques?
    I'm rich but not a cash billionaire.
    I cannot bankroll the club and any attempt for me to do so would quickly destroy the club and myself, however the latter might seem as a viable option.
    As for sports direct. It's advertising my interests at my club which is another of my interests.
    When someone comes in and offers silly money to advertise their wares on the stadium then I'll give it precedence.
    In the meantime I will do what any right minded business person would, no matter what anyone thinks.
    Anyone with the potential to use existing interests to aid in promoting their other interests are going to do it and anyone who believes that's a moral crime have never owned or run businesses

Best guessing the scenario does not give you any insight into the reality of things, sorry to say.

What is heart-breaking?
    We are in the premier league and we are buying in quality players at prices this club can afford without having any detrimental effects on later buying.
    Most teams are playing catch up with the elite few.
    They are in no better position than we are, except on paper, as it stands, or by process of memory of what they achieved the season before which counts for nothing when you start to lose your better players and have to restart with new additions, as well as new managers and backroom staff like many of those clubs generally do.
    Heart-breaking is when you see a team that does not try. When you see players bought that are clearly low level without potential.
    It's far from ideal but a million miles away from heart-breaking.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't.
    What could I say that you wouldn't accept as stage managed?
    Anything I could say would be deemed as lies, so you got exactly my thoughts in a plain and simple manner.
    Accept that or don't but that's how it stands.

What hard hitting questions could be asked that the short interview didn't cover.
    I laid it all on the line.
    I might not have laid on the floor begging for forgiveness for my silliness and naivety and errors but I laid my cards on the table and can do no more than that.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 05-09-2017 at 09:07 AM.

But you should remember:
    When a person is adored and made to feel like a king, he will always be swayed.

And the reason why grounds are half full when things do not go right for years on end.
    Luckily we haven't had to sample too much of that in the championship.

Thank you for that, your support is generous.

Loyal fans that are rewarded for their loyalty with sensible season ticket prices that are split into affordable installments.

We are the reason why there are shops on a high street or cars on a road or cruise ships on the ocean, etc, etc.
    Every fan of every club is the reason they have a club.

By the way you talk, you'd think it had already fell apart but if you believe cutting off your nose will spite your face then you have to make that decision. In the mean-time, I will carry on doing what I can do and leave the other stuff to those that I believe can do what they can do and hopefully get some kind of happy medium along the way.

How do you know it hasn't already been sorted out?
    Rafa spent a long time deliberating whether to take on this job and he did it as he always does things. Meticulously, don't you think?
    As for the word "unconditionally" no owner is ever going to do that with any manager.

Seeking out a potential buyer could be underway and maybe has been for all you know.
    Whether you believe that or not is not my problem.
    As for passion, what constitutes passion from your point of view as an owner?

Paul Nicholson
    Hardly stagnating.
    The club is not where fans want it to be. I understand that.
    Most clubs are not where fans want them to be, including those at the top end.
    This club is in a lot better shape than you think it is but it can easily stagnate or quickly deteriorate of too big a gamble is taken for a shot at a sniff of success.

Taken for granted?
    How many fans of football clubs can say that?...most I would say.
    Without an owner you would not have a football club to be fans of. Same scenario.
    The fans of this football club are passionate and loyal.
    Passion and loyalty do not come from constant success, it comes from a mucky mixture of it all, from the top to the very bottom.
    Fans feel entitled, whether it's due to living on history or living on the fact they're known as a sleeping GIANT club or that their city deserves a club that plays with the other big city elite clubs.
    We are in the premier league and the worst than has happened since my tenure is relegation for one season before winning the championship twice to get back.
    Other big city clubs are still trying to get back after decades out and others never even having a sniff, who are all as big a city.

No you would not. Your letter proves your mind is more than made up as to what you believe I am and other parties.

You know that the only way I'll get anyone on my side is if I provided the manager with everything a manager wants, always and did not interfere with anything to do with the club.
    Basically bank-roll the club as and when required but stay silent.
    Asking me to use my own personal fortune to take chances is not going to happen and could not be sustained in this crazy football market.

Then you only have yourselves to blame for any turmoil created by doing so.
    If the club is run so badly and it's so heartbreaking to see, then; if you're of the same mind as others, I would suggest owning the club as fans and you are then in charge of your own destiny.
    Or look at the club in a different light and realise that, although not as ideal as we would want..it is making attempts to get a happy medium.

Ambition in today's game doesn't really exist in the real sense of the word.
    It is replaced by HOPE and EXPECTATION.
    The hope comes from a club like our club or clubs similar to us who can actually get to play in the premier league, which is a feat in itself in this day and age.
    Hope is when we compete with the big hitters and the chancers so that we can sneak some success among it all.
    Expectation is when you throw all your eggs into one basket and expect to keep a basket full of intact eggs which never crack under the weight.
    Expectation is when your club appears to be a bottomless pit of cash that proves you with massive bragging rights and an expectation that surpasses hope and even discards it.
    This is when you know you've lost the heart and soul of your club.

The media will portray me in how they wish, as and when certain situations arise.
    I'm the devil in disguise or I'm not..depending on the circumstances at the time.
    I am despised by some and rarely worth a mention by others, the world over.
    That's the nature of the beast.

I've answered this as if it was Ashley. Trying to best guess his answers.

"answering as if i was ashley"

stick to shyte stories aboot ya nana wilf FFS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)