+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: o/t Sweden rejects asylum claim from 106 year-old

o/t Sweden rejects asylum claim from 106 year-old

What in the world is going on, when a poor Afghani, 106 year-old cannot cross a dozen borders and claim free medical in a foreign country.....it's sad I tell you.....sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...bibihal-uzbeki

What sort of world do we live in where a 106 year old woman feels the need to cross a dozen borders in order to get some medical care ! And you have a pop at HER !!

... I believe that there are countries nearer to Afghanistan where she could receive help.

Seems reasonable enough to me, as the Swedes say, age is not reason enough for asylum to be granted. If it were what would be a reasonable age be? The family cannot show proof that to be sent back to Afghanistan would be dangerous for them particularly, they just say that some big cities are not safe at the moment, and that Islamic state, the Taliban and of course suicide bombers(!) are dangerous. If these were grounds for granting asylum Europe (and us) might just as well throw open the borders and admit anyone who says "It's dangerous where I live but I can't prove it".

As The Black Horse says, there are countries in between Afghanistan and Sweden - about a dozen according to Tarquin, although not knowing their route I suspect there are many more - one of which is Croatia, where she and her family "spent some time" before she was carried through "mountains, deserts and forests" - really?? - for 20 days. I wonder if the family thought they would be treated as a special case if they took a 106 year old woman with them?
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 05-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.