+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Oh no, not Walter Becker...

OT: Oh no, not Walter Becker...

I don't do RIP's because there is no other way to do your final resting.
    In the confidence that there are one or two Notts fans who share my love of Steely Dan,
    it's with sadness that I note Walter's passing at a mere 67 years.
    The only positive is that Donald Fagen intends to continue and may even reform Steely,
    although Becker was the creative spark behind so much.
    'Pretzel Logic' - one of the best debut albums ever.
    Steely took me into the realms of jazz/rock fusion. Love playing this stuff on my ipod while
    walking the dog. Great lyrics too. Try 'Cousin Dupree' on TWO AGAINST NATURE for a saucy
    lyric about an unhealthy family.
    Bye, Walter, you will be mist (sic)

Into the mist (sic)?

A massive understated influence on great artists and forward thinking music, the Dan held so much credibility and love by the artists they gave a push up to go on and those who sampled with respect, De la Soul and so many dance artists I grew up with. Pretzel Logic and singles like Peg and Do it again sprinboarded so many underground artists who held Donald and Walter high up and so much a fantastic pivotal moment to there own success! RIP Walter Becker.!!

Argh ? Was he related to Boris ?

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Argh ? Was he related to Boris ?
    Never heard of him ........ I assume he's some sort of musician.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Never heard of him ........ I assume he's some sort of musician.

To me he played in one of the best groups ever, next to the Beatles of course. Their style of rock/pop and jazz worked really well. And yes Seriouspie he was some sort of musician

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    To me he played in one of the best groups ever, next to the Beatles of course. Their style of rock/pop and jazz worked really well. And yes Seriouspie he was some sort of musician
    I'm old and you're of a younger age Joe. As once said on this board months ago there was only one rock 'n roll and that was in the mid 50's when Elvis was the King along with Jerry Lee, Cochran and many other US bands. When proper R&R finished the Beatles came along but their music was entirely different. A very successful group but utter rubbish at R&R. You won't remember the days of the old Vic ballroom but for us oldsters it was something we'll remember for ever. When Haley came to the Odeon, it was packed out but they relayed the live sound into Slab square where all the kids were jiving to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    I'm old and you're of a younger age Joe. As once said on this board months ago there was only one rock 'n roll and that was in the mid 50's when Elvis was the King along with Jerry Lee, Cochran and many other US bands. When proper R&R finished the Beatles came along but their music was entirely different. A very successful group but utter rubbish at R&R. You won't remember the days of the old Vic ballroom but for us oldsters it was something we'll remember for ever. When Haley came to the Odeon, it was packed out but they relayed the live sound into Slab square where all the kids were jiving to the music.

I have almost all the Lp's Elvis made..plus..I have Bill Haleys autograph on one of my pieces of his music

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I have almost all the Lp's Elvis made..plus..I have Bill Haleys autograph on one of my pieces of his music
    I like my music but I've never bothered with Steely Dan. I'll give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I like my music but I've never bothered with Steely Dan. I'll give it a go!

Start with...Reelin in the years..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast