+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motty to retire at the end of this season

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Excellent in his day but he's gone downhill somewhat over the last few years. That's why they stuck him on the radio. His insights were as good as ever but increasingly he'd make a wrong call and then claim the officials had changed their mind.

GLTTL though.

Very true HC. He did go down hill a bit with age (don't we all) and blame the odd official for "changing his mind" when Motty himself had misinterpreted or not seen the ref's clear and obvious signal. However, he was no worse at that than many other commentators.

Having met him some years ago, I have to say that he had a genuine love for the game and was (is) a true gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    Very true HC. He did go down hill a bit with age (don't we all) and blame the odd official for "changing his mind" when Motty himself had misinterpreted or not seen the ref's clear and obvious signal. However, he was no worse at that than many other commentators.

Having met him some years ago, I have to say that he had a genuine love for the game and was (is) a true gentleman.

Agree Ronnie. The standards set by him and Barry Davies were so high that when they were unable to maintain them it was quite sad. Unfortunately Motson chose to blame others when he made mistakes and he was moved over to radio.

I did always prefer Davies though and both were head and shoulders above anyone today.

Motsons finest hour behind the microphone

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Motsons finest hour behind the microphone

Certainly not Jim Brown's finest moment between the sticks!

I must be on that video somewhere as I was standing on the kop that day. Nice to see Eddy and Eddie, Tony Field and, of course, the great Woody again. Happy days!

Just wonderin who folk think is the worst TV commentator,i'll go for Danny(CHANCE)Blanchflower.UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Lovely post that CiG,I think it was Barry Davies who said after Mickey Walsh scored a screamer...look at his face,just look at his face,a Coleman classic with links to us...Porterfield one nil,and of course my favourite Colemans commentary on Gordon Banks save from Pele...what a save,Gordon Banks he picked that out of the net

Anyone with BT Sport,they are showing the Big Match Revisited ,we are featured but only losing,getting hammered by Forest 6-1 away,been one on today with us losing at Chelsea
    Your post has helped me correct mine in that the Porterfield 1-0 line was in fact the 73 Leeds v Sunderland final and the Keegan line was the 74 final.
    The "Just look at his face" line was I think Franny Lee who was the best penalty area diver that ever lived. He would be booked for diving every week in today's game.
    The Banks save too was a lovely commentary.
    I was there at the 6-1 Forest thrashing where a lad called Terry Curran ran us ragged that day. We were actually in the game at 2-1 until capitulation.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    Certainly not Jim Brown's finest moment between the sticks!

I must be on that video somewhere as I was standing on the kop that day. Nice to see Eddy and Eddie, Tony Field and, of course, the great Woody again. Happy days!
    A few West Ham fans shared the kop with us that day too.
    The match was a classic and seeing it on utube feels as though it was only last week.
    Keith Eddy went to America not long after this and even played for "Team America" against England.
    Tony Field was purchased from Blackburn and he never pulled any tree's up save for his wonder televised solo goal against Ipswich.
    As for Woody.... words fail me. Absolute LEGEND. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Excellent in his day but he's gone downhill somewhat over the last few years. That's why they stuck him on the radio. His insights were as good as ever but increasingly he'd make a wrong call and then claim the officials had changed their mind.

GLTTL though.
    Funnily enough I feel the opposite - didn't like him when I was younger and always wanted Barry Davies to be the commentator....now I find him quite charming and love the familiarity of his voice.

Each to their own....its all abart opinions as some would say

Quote Originally Posted by Currieisgod View Post
    A few West Ham fans shared the kop with us that day too.
    The match was a classic and seeing it on utube feels as though it was only last week.
    Keith Eddy went to America not long after this and even played for "Team America" against England.
    Tony Field was purchased from Blackburn and he never pulled any tree's up save for his wonder televised solo goal against Ipswich.
    As for Woody.... words fail me. Absolute LEGEND. R.I.P.
    Can't disagree with any of that.
    Tony Field of course was a Furphy purchase and was generally a big disappointment. Where he got "that goal" against Ipswich from, heaven alone knows. While I naturally enjoyed the goal, I remember being a bit disappointed as it meant he was going to be selected for the next number of games.

barry davies was always underrated imo great commentator motty was always a bit too over the top for me but my alltime fav has to be kenneth wolstenholme that franny lee goal was for derby at maine road against city was also there that day at the city ground we got there late and we were 2 down already do remember a massive brawl on that big terrace they used to have at the city ground

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast