+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes Irma .. and Jose

Norder
    That's very worrying,
    Makes you wonder who's going Watt to whom
    Last edited by oldcolner; 10-09-2017 at 07:50 AM.

The death and destruction caused by these storms in the Carribean illustrates just how infantile our Met Office and BBC is, giving names to the occasional high winds and bits of rain we get in this country. They ought to be ashamed of themselves as they get excited about Storm Betty, which has blown some roof tiles off in Sutton Coldfield and a pensioner's umbrella inside out in Pontefract. But they have no shame.

I guess it keeps someone in a job. I'm a Storm name picker.
    When Irma gets here will it be Storm Irma or will it get a new name and if so will Europe accept it when it gets to them?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I guess it keeps someone in a job.
    It helps them push their environmental propaganda, makes us think the weather is far worse than it used to be, and worse than it actually is. That's the real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It helps them push environmental propaganda, makes us think the weather is far worse than it used to be, and worse than it actually is. That's the real reason.
    But who are they? the Met Office, the BBC. I know BT will blame Mrs May!!

Into Hovis mode
    I remember when snow lay on the ground for weeks on end and we had to walk miles to school through snow drifts that were as big as me, and we had summers where we got temps in the 90s for weeks leading to us having to share bath water and then put it on the garden.
    Where has it all gone.

I have some experience with hurricanes. Myself, the ex and our daughter were in Myrtle Beach when hurricane ‘Hugo’ hit Charleston in ’89. We left our hotel and headed north to Virginia Beach, little did we know the remnants of Hugo quickly followed us up the coast. Yup, a wasted vacation.

Fast forward to ‘Irma’. My daughter and hubby live in Santiago, Dominican Republic, they’ve been there for about 12 years. They’re no strangers to hurricanes, they’re a fact of life in the Caribbean. Luckily they’ve never had to endure any personal or property damage……yet.

My sister is currently in Naples, Florida. For some reason, unknown to me, she decided to stay and ride it out. Last time we communicated, last Friday, she indicate they moved from their beachfront apartment to the second floor of a hotel. According to her the room is concrete, has no windows, they have food, water and, in her words……….enough booze……..to see them through until this nasty storm leaves the area. Downside is when we last communicated Naples wasn’t expected to take a direct hit. Now it’s dead in tracks for a direct hit, probably later today. I don’t expect to hear back until the dust settles, or in her case, until the water recedes.

Don’t mess with Mother Nature when she gets riled up.

Hope your sister is ok Exile. It sounds like it's now down to Category 1 and lots of homes have no power but not much information yet on the impact there of any storm surge.
    At least Jose has headed away from land, but maybe it's coming nearer our way as a storm?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The death and destruction caused by these storms in the Carribean illustrates just how infantile our Met Office and BBC is, giving names to the occasional high winds and bits of rain we get in this country. They ought to be ashamed of themselves as they get excited about Storm Betty, which has blown some roof tiles off in Sutton Coldfield and a pensioner's umbrella inside out in Pontefract. But they have no shame.
    Not to mention the 1400 killed in India and Bangladesh in the past week - hardly get a mention from the USA-obsessed media. I'm sure cruise passengers and holidaymakers will find alternative destinations - my heart bleeds for them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    It sounds like it's now down to Category 1 and lots of homes have no power but not much information yet on the impact there of any storm surge.
    We stayed in Cape Coral last summer, the Police Chief there has tweeted to warn of a six to ten feet storm surge. The house we stayed in was a couple of hundred yards inland, and no more than a couple of feet above sea level, as was the entire place. If they're right there won't be much of Cape Coral left afterwards.

Cape Coral has escaped relatively unscathed, some trees down, a few roads blocked, power off, but virtually no flooding or serious structural damage.

After all the dire predictions, make of that what you will.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)