+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes Irma .. and Jose

I have my own ideas OC, I've hinted at the real reasons earlier, but I'm not going to bang on about it. They are playing a very dangerous game though, if they keep flagging up non-events as extreme, when a really serious storm comes along, as it surely eventually will, the general public may well just shrug their shoulders and say 'Oh aye, another one', and carry on regardless. Then lives could well be lost, because of their infantile attempts at propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Hope your sister is ok Exile. It sounds like it's now down to Category 1 and lots of homes have no power but not much information yet on the impact there of any storm surge.
    I heard back from my sister in Naples yesterday, it's done, they survived and got the tee shirt  They actually went out when the eye was immediately overhead, I watched that on telly, it must have been an eerie experience., little rain or wind for a few minutes. They moved from safe hotel back to beachfront apartment which unbelievably had little damage. They have water but no power but at least a sea breeze!! No wifi at the apartment but local grocery store has opened so that's where she’s messaging from.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I have my own ideas OC, I've hinted at the real reasons earlier, but I'm not going to bang on about it. They are playing a very dangerous game though, if they keep flagging up non-events as extreme, when a really serious storm comes along, as it surely eventually will, the general public may well just shrug their shoulders and say 'Oh aye, another one', and carry on regardless. Then lives could well be lost, because of their infantile attempts at propaganda.

Predicting Mother Nature isn’t an exact science, never will be. However weather predictions are improving year by year. Here in Southern Ontario we get about two “winter storm of the century” warnings each year, rarely do they turn out as bad a predicted, but many were prepared for the worst……..that’s a good thing!

As for ‘Harvey’, that turned out possibly worse than expected, but many people evacuated as instructed….that’s a good thing!

As for ‘Irma’, that turned out not as bad as expected, but many evacuated as instructed….that’s a good thing!

A number of years ago Quebec was hit by a devastating, and I mean DEVASTATING ice storm, many thousand had no power for weeks on end, quite a few killed. That storm was much worse than predicted…..that’s a bad thing!

It would seem most authorities are using the old saying “prepare for the worst, but hope for the best” as a public service model…..that’s a good thing in my mind. All we can do is take heed, make up our own minds and decide how to proceed.

Interesting what you say about your sister Exile, going out during the eye of the storm. Last week I was reading about the history of hurricanes in Florida and there was one in the 1930s (I think it was) and in Miami during the eye, the residents not being as well informed as nowadays, went outside thinking it was over, the back end of the storm hit and around 500 were killed.

Incidentally it's exactly 20 years ago this year that we were in Naples considering buying a home there. We were staying in a villa owned by a Realtor, and the stories he told us about the death and destruction caused over the years in that area by hurricanes convinced us not to bother, it was scary stuff.

Jose may be heading for the mainland whilstbMax has flooded Mexico and damaged Acapulco.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-strength.html

So where are Is Lxxxx

Anyone lose any relatives or loved ones, anyone flooded, had their roof blown off or drive blocked by fallen trees ?

No, thought not.
    I was cowering under the duvet when it hit Nottingham in the early hours,the windows rattling in their frames,loud crashes from things falling or being blown down the hill and then to top it all my cockatoo downstairs went into a panic

In Bolton the pubs were full, 'Spoons had record revenue receipts and the Wanderers are doomed! UTC#

Quote Originally Posted by chalky_ncfc View Post
    I was cowering under the duvet when it hit Nottingham in the early hours,the windows rattling in their frames,loud crashes from things falling or being blown down the hill and then to top it all my cockatoo downstairs went into a panic
    Any dead ?

Any dead ?
    ERM....No not our street anyway

Jose heading for the east coast or maybe here.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/15/us...ast/index.html

Now it's Maria's turn, on the same path as Irma. Category 3 so far.
    Maria is moving roughly along the same path as Irma, the hurricane that devastated the region this month.
    It is due to hit on Monday night local time.
    Hurricane warnings have been issued for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St Kitts and Nevis, Montserrat, Martinique, St Lucia and the US and British Virgin Islands.
    A hurricane watch is in effect for Puerto Rico, St Martin, St Barts, Saba, St Eustatius and Anguilla.
    Some of these islands are still recovering after being hit by Irma - a category five hurricane which left at least 37 people dead and caused billions of dollars' worth of damage.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41302157

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)