+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes Irma .. and Jose

Hurricanes Irma .. and Jose

Irma is going to devastate lots of Caribbean Islands with wind speeds of over 185 mph, lots of rain and storm surges 3 metres high. It's the size of France and looks like its heading for Florida.
    This is bigger and stronger than Harvey which has killed 45 and left many parts of Texas still flooded and without electricity. It may take two weeks for it to clear.

It's the first time in many years that two category 5 storms have hit the US and a third one Jose, is already building so this could be a record year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...IVE-storm.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weathe...ecast-NOAA-NHC

Is this global warming and if so where is this going to take us? Will it come here eventually?
    Last edited by oldcolner; 06-09-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Yes O C .....where will it take us ''Global warning ''

Well, think of it this way the planet is spinning in its orbit and evenly balanced . But with global warming it means at some point the 'ice caps will melt' ? If the ice caps melt does that mean that the distribution of weight has change ? If so then it may cause a 'wobble'? Could it be happening already the Inuit say the the setting of the sun has changed plus the hours that they used to hunt.etc A lot of it is there but a short report https://youtu.be/LCWK74ulb68

If the poles melt then the earth could spin into a new orbit, then the earths magnetic field would change. The North pole could end up where the Pacific Ocean is ??

Now lets see we have 1) the Climate change 2) the Korean drama 3) China - India stand off 4) Middle East in conflict 5 )Conflict in the South China sea 6) Russia vs Ukraine conflict 7 ) Hurricane Irma and Jose. 8 )The fall of Capitalism!....and more??

But here is Loey !! https://youtu.be/A3yCcXgbKrE

I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom, for me and you. And I think to myself,what a wonderful world

....nah just bluffing!!!

BBC reporting Hurricane Irma has caused widespread destruction across the Caribbean, reducing buildings to rubble and leaving at least nine people dead.
    The small island of Barbuda is said to be "barely habitable". Officials warn that St Martin is almost destroyed, and the death toll is likely to rise.
    Irma, a category five hurricane, the highest possible level, is passing north of Puerto Rico.
    Two other storms have strengthened to become hurricanes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41182991

Possibly the worst North Atlantic Huricane ever? It's already the strongest ever with 200+ mph winds; all the news we're getting is USA based at it really annoyed me when their 'landfall' predictions were the date/time it was anticipated to hit Florida; all those island nations getting slammed ahead of then, including the US Virgin Islands and perhaps Puerto Rico (both US Territories) clearly don't count.

Barbuda's a very small proportion of the Antigua & Barbuda landmass/population, St Martin will get bankrolled by Holland/France, Anguilla and British Virgins will presumably be looking to the UK for help/aid - fortunately they're both very wealth states, so should still be OK, even if we let them down. USVI's obviously looking to the USA, but what about the Turks & Caicos and the Bahamas? Current predictions suggest that pretty much every island in the chain is going to get hammered, with 150-200 mph winds and 15-20' seas; I'd estimate that less than 5% of their landmasses are above twenty feet high!

Quote Originally Posted by afloatinclaret View Post
    All the news we're getting is USA based at it really annoyed me when their 'landfall' predictions were the date/time it was anticipated to hit Florida; all those island nations getting slammed ahead of then, including the US Virgin Islands and perhaps Puerto Rico (both US Territories) clearly don't count.

What do you expect from the Yanks? Most are hard wired to think the world ends outside their borders.

It's certainly causing massive devastation and some favourite holiday resorts are wrecked so badly it will take years to recover. Remember the pictures of planes coming in over the beach at St Martin's...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41194959

I'm glad we didn't choose a Caribbean cruise for our special anniversary. I wonder if there will be many cruises going there now. Very sad.

Florida must be worried, very worried.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    It's certainly causing massive devastation and some favourite holiday resorts are wrecked so badly it will take years to recover. Remember the pictures of planes coming in over the beach at St Martin's...

I'm glad we didn't choose a Caribbean cruise for our special anniversary. I wonder if there will be many cruises going there now. Very sad.

Most of the cruise ships are in the Med in summer OC, they cruise the Caribbean in winter after the hurricane season has ended. We're due to sail out of Puerto Rico in February and St Martin is on the itinerary. I don't anticipate the cruise being cancelled or disrupted, too much money at stake, it'll be sorted by then I'm sure.

Incidentally we were in Florida last summer during a hurricane, we were watching the weather channel as it tracked a tornado developing and heading towards us. It changed course about 20 miles away and faded out, but for a while it was quite scary, and we really didn't know what to do for the best. Don't get many of them in Lancashire.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post

Airport beach on St Maarten was a mind blowing experience. Mrs Outwood and I were there January 2016. Horrible to think of the devastation there and elsewhere.

worth a look.

E.L.F Transmitters.

is nature in control - or under control ?

Florida bracing itself, but it seems to be going more up the west coast now. Here's the latest BBC damage assessment and prediction. I wonder why it won't go straight on rather than make a right turn?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41216890

Cuba: Officials have reported "significant damage", without giving further details, but said there were no confirmed casualties yet, the AFP news agency reports
    St Martin and St Barthelemy: Six out of 10 homes on St Martin, an island shared between France and the Netherlands, now uninhabitable, French officials say. They said nine people had died and seven were missing in the French territories, while two are known to have died in Dutch Sint Maarten
    Turks and Caicos Islands: Widespread damage, although extent unclear
    Barbuda: The small island is said to be "barely habitable", with 95% of the buildings damaged. Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne estimates reconstruction will cost $100m (£80m). One death has been confirmed
    Anguilla: Extensive damage with one person confirmed dead
    Puerto Rico: More than 6,000 residents of the US territory are in shelters and many more without power. At least three people have died
    British Virgin Islands:Widespread damage reported, and five dead
    US Virgin Islands: Damage to infrastructure was said to be widespread, with four deaths confirmed
    Haiti and the Dominican Republic: Both battered by the storm, but neither had as much damage as initially feared

Jose now category 4 and Barbuda evacuated but looks like it will escape Joses path.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)