+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tipping point

Tipping point

If RM fails to play 2 upfront tomorrow I will join the McKinnon out team.

Don't get the obsession with two up front. I get that it looks better on paper but if we play well with a different formation does it really matter? Not many teams use it now

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    If he had as good a squad available to him as the papers would have us believe, then he has a bit of a headache!

Been thinking about a team for the last couple of days, but im really struggling to get all the player i would like into the team. 4-5-1 seems to suit the squad, 4-4-2 drops the likes of Stanton out and 3-5-2 drops Doc and Robson out.

Lewis all the way for goalie.
    4 at the back Murdoch, Durnan, Edje, Robson or a 3 of Durnan, Quinn, Edje.

Midfield 4 of King, Fyvie, Briels, McMullan or add Stanton for a 5.

Up front either N'Koyi on his own or with McDonald.

Heids burst!

Oh and if Flood is anywhere near the team, its time to go!

The reason we probably need 2 up top at the moment is that we don't have an "all-rounder" of a striker at the club (the last being Ciftci) that can play a lone striker comfortably.

Based on what we've got available I'd say (certainly for home games we expect to win) we should be playing N'koyi, for his physical and aerial presence, along with either McDonald or Keatings. This then leaves us with a quality striking option off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    If he had as good a squad available to him as the papers would have us believe, then he has a bit of a headache!

Been thinking about a team for the last couple of days, but im really struggling to get all the player i would like into the team. 4-5-1 seems to suit the squad, 4-4-2 drops the likes of Stanton out and 3-5-2 drops Doc and Robson out.

Lewis all the way for goalie.
    4 at the back Murdoch, Durnan, Edje, Robson or a 3 of Durnan, Quinn, Edje.

Midfield 4 of King, Fyvie, Briels, McMullan or add Stanton for a 5.

Up front either N'Koyi on his own or with McDonald.

Heids burst!
    Wasn't at Paisley but by all accounts Fyvie was horrendous.

Billy King has flattered to deceive in a lot of games.

I'd be tempted with your 4-4-2 but putting Stanton in for King. Would allow Robson the freedom to attack.

Really think Ray needs to try something different and needs to start players based on their form not on their reputations.

Not sure I'm bothered specifically about two up front.
    It's the style of play that is more important.
    High tempo, play the ball into the channels and get at Dumbarton.
    No tippy tappy, slow build up, passive nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPetric View Post
    The reason we probably need 2 up top at the moment is that we don't have an "all-rounder" of a striker at the club (the last being Ciftci) that can play a lone striker comfortably.

Based on what we've got available I'd say (certainly for home games we expect to win) we should be playing N'koyi, for his physical and aerial presence, along with either McDonald or Keatings. This then leaves us with a quality striking option off the bench.
    This. Because McDonald is first choice and is never a lone striker, play him with N'Koyi and we will score goals

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPetric View Post
    Wasn't at Paisley but by all accounts Fyvie was horrendous.

Billy King has flattered to deceive in a lot of games.

I'd be tempted with your 4-4-2 but putting Stanton in for King. Would allow Robson the freedom to attack.

Really think Ray needs to try something different and needs to start players based on their form not on their reputations.
    Fyvie needed to loose a few pounds last time i saw him so fingers crossed 2 weeks has made the difference.

As for King, i agree about flattering to deceive as my minds not made up on him yet. He has had a hand in some of our goals of late and changed the game last week.

Ray also needs to stop experimenting with Allardice as he for me will make a braw midfielder for us once others move on.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Welcome to the right side if he wins 8-0 like fair dos. One up top at home against Dumbarton - woohooo

edit to say: its Mcdonald up on his own by looks of team

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)