+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: League cup semis

League cup semis

I was tidying up the site's CIS Cup Campaign 2004/5 section and came across this piece that summarised the 8 League Cup semis Motherwell were involved with (before the wonderful night at Easter Road in 2005).

Motherwell League Cup semis

Celtic in 2006 was a mighty sore one to follow. 2011 less so.

We were well in that game in 2006, 1-1 and fairly comfortable until Martyn Corrigan's late pass-back which resulted in their winner, a real sickener right enough.

The 2011 one was just your standard Motherwell v Rangers fixture. They score early, the game is very even, we get level and have plenty of the ball without threatening before Craigan inexplicably loses Naismith inside the six yard box and he heads the winner. We then are all over them in the closing minutes and should have taken it to ET but good goalkeeping, bad finishing and bad luck prevent us. As I said, typical Motherwell v Rangers fare.

You mean we were gallant losers again !?

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    We were well in that game in 2006, 1-1 and fairly comfortable until Martyn Corrigan's late pass-back which resulted in their winner, a real sickener right enough.

The 2011 one was just your standard Motherwell v Rangers fixture. They score early, the game is very even, we get level and have plenty of the ball without threatening before Craigan inexplicably loses Naismith inside the six yard box and he heads the winner. We then are all over them in the closing minutes and should have taken it to ET but good goalkeeping, bad finishing and bad luck prevent us. As I said, typical Motherwell v Rangers fare.
    Indeed and not only were we well in the 2006 game, we should have been out of sight by half time. For whatever reason Celtic didn't turn up early on and by the time they weathered the storm, it always seemed a matter of how, rather than if, we would lose although it was still even later.

What really capped it was Dunfermline waiting in the final were absolutely horrific that season - they finished above only Livi, their semi opponent, who were last by miles and then they went down next time.

Maybe a bit off topic here but was looking for some advice.

I was wanting to take my 5 year old son to the game v Rangers but I have never been to a rangers game before.
    Would you recommend getting a bus to avoid any hassle walking to Hamden or should the run up be ok for my young son walking to the ground?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bigpaulgla View Post
    Maybe a bit off topic here but was looking for some advice.

I was wanting to take my 5 year old son to the game v Rangers but I have never been to a rangers game before.
    Would you recommend getting a bus to avoid any hassle walking to Hamden or should the run up be ok for my young son walking to the ground?

Cheers
    I think you'll be fine walking up to the game. I know there is this myth that Rangers fans are evil, twisted and dangerous individuals but I've always found them on the whole, pretty harmless. They are an ugly bunch mind you and some of them have some strange, backward looking views but in my experience they tend to keep themselves to themselves and are just out to support their team the same as our fans are. In all my years as a Motherwell fan I can honestly say that I've never had any grief from Rangers fans at matches involving us and them and I don't see that being any different here.

The other mob mind you? Now they are a different story...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)