+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Derby after WW2

First Derby after WW2

GrayBlade's post about the 7-3 thrashing we administered to our ' beloved neighbours' jogged my memory. I certainly remember that 1951 match which was a League match, obviously. I , also, seem to remember that we played a "friendly" match with them in the Isle of Man in the late forties-we drew 2-2. The thinking , at the time, was that our last meeting had been before the Second World War and, being starved of football, the demand to see the game would cause too much danger at whichever ground it was played at in Sheffield. Hence the decision to play in Isle of Man thereby ensuring that 80,000 fans (40,000 each club to prevent argument) could not afford to go there. As that is around your era Ronnie (about same age as me , I think,) do you remember anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Darnall Siam Blade View Post
    GrayBlade's post about the 7-3 thrashing we administered to our ' beloved neighbours' jogged my memory. I certainly remember that 1951 match which was a League match, obviously. I , also, seem to remember that we played a "friendly" match with them in the Isle of Man in the late forties-we drew 2-2. The thinking , at the time, was that our last meeting had been before the Second World War and, being starved of football, the demand to see the game would cause too much danger at whichever ground it was played at in Sheffield. Hence the decision to play in Isle of Man thereby ensuring that 80,000 fans (40,000 each club to prevent argument) could not afford to go there. As that is around your era Ronnie (about same age as me , I think,) do you remember anything about it?
    We did play a friendly v. the other lot in the Isle of Man, 2 days after the end of the 1947-48 season, although I don't know the reason why. The crowd was recorded at 8,000 (which sounds suspiciously like a guess) but I was not one of them (I was just 8 at the time) and can't say it ever registered very prominently in my fledgling memory.
    According to the records, it finished 2-2 with Collindridge and Sloan scoring for the blades.

The first derby after the war was a hastily arranged game on May 9th 1945 to celebrate the end of the war. Although originally billed as a friendly, the result was included in the "Second Championship".
    United won 2-0 and the crowd was 15,045. We then played them home and away on May 19 and 26 in the county cup (I think it was) and lost both times.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    The first derby after the war was a hastily arranged game on May 9th 1945 to celebrate the end of the war. Although originally billed as a friendly, the result was included in the "Second Championship".
    United won 2-0 and the crowd was 15,045. We then played them home and away on May 19 and 26 in the county cup (I think it was) and lost both times.
    It's so nice to prove Blockmod wrong,AGAIN by you 2 gentlemen sayin you were around durin the War,cos he insists i'm the oldest BLADE on the planet.I luv listenin to fella's of your age talkin abart the BLADES before i was born,except of course when Ronaldo keeps insistin(wrongly)that Jimmy was better than GOD,the VOTE proves different. UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    It's so nice to prove Blockmod wrong,AGAIN by you 2 gentlemen sayin you were around durin the War,cos he insists i'm the oldest BLADE on the planet.I luv listenin to fella's of your age talkin abart the BLADES before i was born,except of course when Ronaldo keeps insistin(wrongly)that Jimmy was better than GOD,the VOTE proves different. UTCB
    A meaningless vote as most of the voters had never had the privelege of watching the great Sir James play.
    For the same reason, your opinion (on this particular matter) is equally invalid, as mine would be if I were comparing anyone with Nudger.
    What you can say is that TC was the best player you ever saw playing for the blades - and on that, my friend, we agree.

P.S. Great result yesterday!

First Derby after WW2

Thanks for the additional info Ronnie. Also, have to agree with you, in my opinion , having watched both Jimmy and TC then Jimmy just shades it. Yes, young Rod, I know it's all abart opinions.
    Fantastic display yesterday- watched it live on I Follow.
    Last edited by Darnall Siam Blade; 10-09-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Extra comment

I've said this before all the people I've spoke to who saw them both have all gone for jimmy,he must have been some player I wish I'd seen him,I suppose I should feel lucky I at least saw TC many of our fans can't even say that

Yes,bulmer, I would put 4 players ,of the ones I've seen live, in the truly great bracket. They are Hagan , Currie , Shaw(Joe), and Hodgy.
    3 England internationals and one who should have been but for Billy Wright. In the great bracket(as opposed to truly) I would put Woodward, Badger and Deane. Maybe a few others could be considered but you get the flavour.
    Memories of such outstanding players make the shambles of the last few years stand out doubly painful.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    I've said this before all the people I've spoke to who saw them both have all gone for jimmy,he must have been some player I wish I'd seen him,I suppose I should feel lucky I at least saw TC many of our fans can't even say that
    Tha worse than the DAVE tv channel for repeats.TC voted the greatest that'll do for me.UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Tha worse than the DAVE tv channel for repeats.TC VOTED the greatest that'll do for me.UTCB
    Like the VOTE that voted the sty the best football ground in South Yorkshire?

Meaningless!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast