+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the Preston fans said

Thanks for the replies fellas, sounds like the time-wasting wasn't much worse than we see at some home games. Not that that makes it ok, but as Acido says, the home fans can make their feelings known and then it's up to the ref to impose himself if needs be.

Oddly enough though, when I look back to games in the 70's I can recall clogging and all manner of dirty tricks, but can't remember jeering anybody for time-wasting. Is that just my rose-coloured glasses or is time-wasting a more recent thing? Mind you, I can't recall as many injuries back in those days - didn't players in the 70's have hamstrings?

All this big-club-small-club is water off a goats back to me. Keith Hill might have upset a few of our home supporters when he said it, but he was right: you're only as good as your last performance and history counts for nothing. Nobody gets any extra points for having been a big team in the past. (Granted, KH might have said it slightly differently, hence the negative reaction from the fans, but his underlying point was spot on).

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    We did waste time but not that much until the last 20 mins.
    They didn't dominate position and they hardly created any clear cut chances.
    I thought Hammill, Hedges, Lindsay and Gardner impressed, and Barnes definitely has to play a bigger role.
    Not impressed by Ugbo at all, and Jackson still looks like an accident waiting to happen.
    Preston didn't impress me at all. Never really felt they were going to score, but we didn't threaten much either.
    Give Jackson a break MOM.

We all want to see football played in the right spirit and in a 96/97 manner .

The truth is there's too much at stake now for us , we have to remain in the championship full stop , if that means we have to employ spoiling tactics at times then so be it .

I would sooner be criticised for it and take a good away point than congratulated on our fine sportsmanship and rolled over 3 or 4 one , had enough of that ballax over the years .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    We all want to see football played in the right spirit and in a 96/97 manner .

The truth is there's too much at stake now for us , we have to remain in the championship full stop , if that means we have to employ spoiling tactics at times then so be it .

I would sooner be criticised for it and take a good away point than congratulated on our fine sportsmanship and rolled over 3 or 4 one , had enough of that ballax over the years .
    I can live with that to some extent Animal, but where do you draw the line? At what point in the season, or against what class of opposition, do you play to win rather than just turning up and settling for a point? I don't want to sound too critical of Hecky's tactics (a) cos I weren't there, and (b) cos it could be a one-off. What do folks think our chances were of taking all 3 points yesterday? Could we/should we have got more out of the game, or was Hecky right to be cautious given that players are still settling in?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
    I can live with that to some extent Animal, but where do you draw the line? At what point in the season, or against what class of opposition, do you play to win rather than just turning up and settling for a point? I don't want to sound too critical of Hecky's tactics (a) cos I weren't there, and (b) cos it could be a one-off. What do folks think our chances were of taking all 3 points yesterday? Could we/should we have got more out of the game, or was Hecky right to be cautious given that players are still settling in?
    I think Hecky knows at this stage he's far from seeing his team as a finished article and he's prepared to do what ever it takes to put points on the board .

We live in unforgiving times and it's possibly praying on his mind that with what is occurring behind the scenes we can't be too exposed , especially away from home against a team who have started the season strongly .

I don't believe this is the way he wants to go but losing his best players over the last 9 months hasn't really helped his cause , he's doing what he has to do until such times exist where he can perhaps play with a tad more ambition without the worry of dropping into a relegation scrap .

I didn't go yesterday, but followed it on Twitter. I was very pleased for us to get a draw. It stopped the rot of our terrible away record, and it gives us something to build on. As for time wasting, I remember going up to Darlington in Clarkey's first season as player manager. We were 2 nil up, and he instructed the team to get the ball to him near the corner flag, and boy did he waste time. But we won and got promotion that season.
    As for Ugbo, I think it is harsh on Bradshaw (our top scorer). I would like us to play the players we have spent a lot of money (for us) on, and if we have to bring on a 18/19 year old striker, I would rather it be one of our won that we are developing in the U18/U23. But while Ugbo is playing, I hope he scores lots of goals. I hope it is not the same situation as last season with Kent where he had to play as part of the deal

We had a few drinks with PNE fans before match , all good banter etc , nice folk, one asked is that same goalie playing as last season Davies! He wasted more time in that match than I have ever known ! So it was in some heads before kick off ? I didn't think it was any worse than wat we see at Oakwell,
    Good allround performance decent match too, we could and probably should have been in front at hafe time , Ugbo didn't have the best of games , got bullied by 2 sometimes 3 defenders, however the space he created by having these defenders round him we didn't exploit no real back up from midfield, needed somebody like Moncur who looked good when he came on ! A draw probably fair in the end , MOM by far for me was Jackson, Williams looked better for having Gardner alongside him too

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    We had a few drinks with PNE fans before match , all good banter etc , nice folk, one asked is that same goalie playing as last season Davies! He wasted more time in that match than I have ever known ! So it was in some heads before kick off ? I didn't think it was any worse than wat we see at Oakwell,
    Good allround performance decent match too, we could and probably should have been in front at hafe time , Ugbo didn't have the best of games , got bullied by 2 sometimes 3 defenders, however the space he created by having these defenders round him we didn't exploit no real back up from midfield, needed somebody like Moncur who looked good when he came on ! A draw probably fair in the end , MOM by far for me was Jackson, Williams looked better for having Gardner alongside him too
    Can't tha have a day art wiart rifling beer darn thi neck ?

:-) :-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Give Jackson a break MOM.
    Not for me he wasn't.
    I don't think you'll see us face a more powder puff attack away from home all season. Three goals in six matches tells you how poor they are going forward. He was hardly put under too much pressure but never looked comfortable to me.
    I expected us to lose yesterday and was pleasantly surprised but I'm not sure how much of that was down to them playing badly.
    As for the time wasting, they could have played another 10 mins I don't think they'd have scored.

Huddersfield went up last season scoring 3 from every six matches

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast