+ Visit Aberdeen FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Football from below.....

  1. #1

    Football from below.....

    "Lack of passion? No, the result of commercial calculation. This is at the core of the sickness of what football has become, the hopeless confusion of mistaking the richest league in the world with being the best. Itís no accident that the Championship play-off final is described almost exclusively in terms of the riches awarded to the victor rather than the quality of the football played."





    https://newsocialist.org.uk/football-from-below/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meldrum Rock City
    Posts
    21,061
    Quote Originally Posted by leontrotsky View Post
    "Lack of passion? No, the result of commercial calculation. This is at the core of the sickness of what football has become, the hopeless confusion of mistaking the richest league in the world with being the best. Itís no accident that the Championship play-off final is described almost exclusively in terms of the riches awarded to the victor rather than the quality of the football played."





    https://newsocialist.org.uk/football-from-below/
    Got your sark yet min?

  3. #3
    Whatever happened to........

    Anyway, I ****ing detest "the-most-overhyped-league-in-the-world". So I imagine I'd like the article, just can't be arsed reading it, cos it sounds like I could have written it.

    #guffyfitbaispish

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meldrum Rock City
    Posts
    21,061
    Ill chuck this in here I have to laugh as this trip offshore there seems to be a noticeable amount of PSG shirts appeared. But what do I expect from c@nts who dance on tables and sofas when Real Madrid or Barcelona score or "supported" Chelsea since 2005. They have no idea about football. Its funny as I work with a frog(whos not an arrogant w@nker believe it or not) who is a lifelong PSG fan even though hes from Le Havre (and Guillamme Beuzelins childhood best mate randomly), hes lapping it up playing up to it all in front of everyone "we will win the Champions League" blah blah blah. But he said to me when we were just the two of us "I think we have f@cked football". Aye you think?

    I can bet PSG will be on the telly now when the champions league is on. Even though they haven't been in the past 17 month ive worked here
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 10-09-2017 at 05:51 PM.

  5. #5
    The best thing PSG can do now is thrash Timmy on Tuesday.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meldrum Rock City
    Posts
    21,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    The best thing PSG can do now is thrash Timmy on Tuesday.
    Oh aye ill be cheering with Matthieu but only because they are the better of two evils and it benefits Scottish fitba if the pigs get battered every game

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Balikpapan & Thailand
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Oh aye ill be cheering with Matthieu but only because they are the better of two evils and it benefits Scottish fitba if the pigs get battered every game
    In a strange way, I hope the victims beat them. Only because of the ridiculous money that is being spent by c*nts of clubs like PSG.
    Does it really matter now that ra selik gets more money? they are so far ahead of us and the rest, the distance between them and us will never ever change in the near future.

    PS...I'm still waiting for the football bubble to burst.

  8. #8
    I have next to no interest in any football outside of AFC these days. Now that I live in Oz it's not as though I have to follow it to have something to chat about at the water cooler. Most Australians couldn't give a f*** about it either.

    Yeah, there's a lot wrong with modern football but I thought the article was stockstandard leftist drivel.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Ill chuck this in here I have to laugh as this trip offshore there seems to be a noticeable amount of PSG shirts appeared. But what do I expect from c@nts who dance on tables and sofas when Real Madrid or Barcelona score or "supported" Chelsea since 2005. They have no idea about football.
    It depends how you look at it. I like watching the Champions League but to me it's not even really the same sport as watching us play in Scotland. I watch AFC because I support the team and couldn't care less about how entertaining the game is. I watch the Champions League in the same way I might watch golf (i.e. because I've played the game and it's interesting to watch people who are the best in the world play it).

    AFC is supporting a football team, the Champions League is a dispassionate curiosity. I think most people look at it that way and it's only a small minority of bandwagoning nitwits that really get passionately invested in a European superteam just because they win all the time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meldrum Rock City
    Posts
    21,061
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I have next to no interest in any football outside of AFC these days. .

    .
    See the funny thing is. Im the opposite. I give more of a f@ck. I still only support Aberdeen but im more interested in "lesser football". Was it the HFL travels that lead to it? Am i becoming a fitba hipster or something? .I base all my holidays on grabbing a game now (nae in guffball or Barcelona, Madrid, Munich). My big holiday this year is 7 games in 10 days in Czech Republic, Switzerland (was supposed to be Portugal but flights f@cked that), Slovenia and Austria in December. I have found an interest in non moneyball.

    If Stewart Milne carries on his sh@te ill be binning my season ticket and heading to Forthbank or Beechwood Park or The Rock on a Saturday instead. Im seriously thinking of picking and choosing my games at Pittodrie now as hes such a f@cking cock

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    See the funny thing is. Im the opposite. I give more of a f@ck. I still only support Aberdeen but im more interested in "lesser football". Was it the HFL travels that lead to it? Am i becoming a fitba hipster or something? .I base all my holidays on grabbing a game now (nae in guffball or Barcelona, Madrid, Munich). My big holiday this year is 7 games in 10 days in Czech Republic, Switzerland (was supposed to be Portugal but flights f@cked that), Slovenia and Austria in December. I have found an interest in non moneyball.

    If Stewart Milne carries on his sh@te ill be binning my season ticket and heading to Forthbank or Beechwood Park or The Rock on a Saturday instead. Im seriously thinking of picking and choosing my games at Pittodrie now as hes such a f@cking cock
    I actually quite enjoy taking in an A-league game but it's more about the social aspect of it than finding the football particularly exciting. It's hardly a chore going to watch football and drink beer in a state of the art stadium in the Australian summer. It's fairly cheap too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meldrum Rock City
    Posts
    21,061
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I actually quite enjoy taking in an A-league game but it's more about the social aspect of it than finding the football particularly exciting. It's hardly a chore going to watch football and drink beer in a state of the art stadium in the Australian summer. It's fairly cheap too.

    Because im on my own 90% of the time when I head to fitba I just yap to whoever and its as big of a part of the day. Whether in Aarau, Brora, Cove(aye right gypo c@nts don't even know where Cove is these days), or Dortmund blethering with the locals over a beer is like you said never a chore and im yet to find a pr@ck. But its interesting to hear opinions and see other culture and obviously try as many beers as possible. Its actually like a hobby. I also love the array of stadia from Lossiemouth at one end of the scale to Luzern at the other. Fitba at the upper echelons is f@cked but there is a lot to be said about "lesser fitba"

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    If Stewart Milne carries on his sh@te ill be binning my season ticket and heading to Forthbank or Beechwood Park or The Rock on a Saturday instead. Im seriously thinking of picking and choosing my games at Pittodrie now as hes such a f@cking cock
    Milne talks about moving the game forward but what he really wants is to move it back to the time before the Huns went tits up. Preferably in a smaller league.

    F*ck that

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meldrum Rock City
    Posts
    21,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Milne talks about moving the game forward but what he really wants is to move it back to the time before the Huns went tits up. Preferably in a smaller league.

    F*ck that
    The guy is a f@cking moron

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Balikpapan & Thailand
    Posts
    438
    I must admit I used to enjoy watching the European games or even the Guffy games, but now? I wont waste my time watching any of it. It bores me to death.
    I will stick with my RedTV (when it works)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I actually quite enjoy taking in an A-league game but it's more about the social aspect of it than finding the football particularly exciting. It's hardly a chore going to watch football and drink beer in a state of the art stadium in the Australian summer. It's fairly cheap too.
    I think an argument could be made that modern football is a classic example of out of control free market capitalism? Anyway your point is valid re. the A league despite the poor standard it can be a decent day out if they wouldn't feck about with the K.O times so much. I do wonder if the local outfit could suffer the same fate as Western Force if the market decides?

  17. #17
    I'm getting the same way. Still an aberdeen fan but enjoying my HL games more and more and I can see why a lot of ex dandies go down the route of supporting their nearest HL team. I used to go regularly to away games but would rather just go to a HL game instead of having the hassle of finding people to go with, arrange transport an be dying the next day...also cheaper...and because i dinna have a team yet. It disnae matter fa wins..im just enjoying the game 😀

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    I think an argument could be made that modern football is a classic example of out of control free market capitalism? Anyway your point is valid re. the A league despite the poor standard it can be a decent day out if they wouldn't feck about with the K.O times so much. I do wonder if the local outfit could suffer the same fate as Western Force if the market decides?
    There is nothing free market about the Qatar & Abu Dhabi governments buying PSG and Man City and chucking a few billion pounds at them.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    There is nothing free market about the Qatar & Abu Dhabi governments buying PSG and Man City and chucking a few billion pounds at them.
    Apologies with PSG it should read laissez-faire

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Apologies with PSG it should read laissez-faire
    The thing is that the European football system isn't really 'free'. It is a rigidly structured and regulated industry.

    What is evident is just how ineffectual and corrupt UEFA's governance of the game has been. The issue isn't so much 'greed' and 'capitalism', it's the fact that in the 90s the conditions were put in place that created a runaway effect whereby the resources were funnelled towards the top clubs and top leagues. Obviously the top clubs pushed for this but it was all put in place by UEFA. UEFA's attempts to redress the financial imbalance have been pitiful. UEFA will claim that it had to out of fear that the top clubs would breakaway but that's a weak argument given that the situation could hardly have turned out worse than it has.

    While I'm not a fan of the idea of super-leagues (i.e the 'Atlantic League') UEFA has consistently shown that it will block any attempts by clubs and smaller associations to redress the balance while doing nothing to address the underlying issues that have forced clubs to consider such options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •