+ Visit Queen of the South FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inverness weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Inverness weekend

I noticed there are several adverts for Hotels in Inverness on this site - maybe our sponsors have twigged that Queens will be playing in Inverness soon and perhaps of us may be persuaded to make a weekend of it. There is an excellent express bus service Inverness via Glasgow and a senior citizen like myself who can travel free, may be tempted.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 10-09-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Shanty,there are a considerable number that are travelling up and making a weekend of it.Myself and oldbag included.Also members from the Shrewsbury and Mersey branches.Taking advantage of the free bus to Glasgow then letting the train take the train to Inversnecky.Looking like it will be a great wee break,hopefully the fitba doesn't spoil it��

We're going up by train. Scheduled to arrive at 2.15. Hope British Rail doesn't spoil it!

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    We're going up by train. Scheduled to arrive at 2.15. Hope British Rail doesn't spoil it!
    What could possibly go wrong
    Hope it works out,

RE Inverness

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    I noticed there are several adverts for Hotels in Inverness on this site - maybe our sponsors have twigged that Queens will be playing in Inverness soon and perhaps of us may be persuaded to make a weekend of it. There is an excellent express bus service Inverness via Glasgow and a senior citizen like myself who can travel free, may be tempted.
    For anybody who is travelling up to inverness please shout out for information about hotels ,pubs etc, . I am a distant doonhamer who lives in moray and works in inverness. Will be happy to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by aljard View Post
    For anybody who is travelling up to inverness please shout out for information about hotels ,pubs etc, . I am a distant doonhamer who lives in moray and works in inverness. Will be happy to help out.
    Many thanks ajard - quite a big support coming up I would image - some for the day some for weekend - express bus service from Dumfries to Inverness via Glasgow free for pensioners - Any cheap hotels in Inverness would be appreciated - Is the Inverness ground within walking distance of town centre ? Majority of fans travelling up by supporters coach who last time visited the Social club at the ground but this may change. This Queens team is arguably the best we have had in years so interest is growing.

re info

Many thanks ajard - quite a big support coming up I would image - some for the day some for weekend - express bus service from Dumfries to Inverness via Glasgow free for pensioners - Any cheap hotels in Inverness would be appreciated - Is the Inverness ground within walking distance of town centre ? Majority of fans travelling up by supporters coach who last time visited the Social club at the ground but this may change. This Queens team is arguably the best we have had in years so interest is growing.
    ok nae bother, so the ground is not an easy walk from the town , its possible but best bet is to share a taxi. if you want to drive either park at the nearby industrial parks or at the ground , their might be a parking fee. in town loads of good pubs resturants ; Try the Gellions for a good criac, walk down the main shopping st towards the river /bridge its on the right , or MacCallums Bar it is usually busy on sat decent laugh with music, locals like a song. it is in the centre around from wetherspoons , black isle brewery pub, and lots more they are all all the same street. Hotels probably dear , lots of B&b , try travelodge or premier inn. In town nightlife is good , lots of good bars/ resturants , number 27 is great, go up castle st, also the castle tavern , which is across the road. if you fancy a wander go across the river to eden court theatre. There is the pictures ( vue) in the retail park out on the A96 , it has pizza hut , big tescos etc. back to the ground the steak pies are very good. also check the info http://www.footballgroundguide.com/s.../inverness.htm.

mon the south.

I have been to the ICT ground and as aljard says it is a long way from the city centre so paid heed to this info. His other suggestions are spot on with reference to pubs etc - a nice place to visit for a weekend.

ok nae bother, so the ground is not an easy walk from the town , its possible but best bet is to share a taxi. if you want to drive either park at the nearby industrial parks or at the ground , their might be a parking fee. in town loads of good pubs resturants ; Try the Gellions for a good criac, walk down the main shopping st towards the river /bridge its on the right , or MacCallums Bar it is usually busy on sat decent laugh with music, locals like a song. it is in the centre around from wetherspoons , black isle brewery pub, and lots more they are all all the same street. Hotels probably dear , lots of B&b , try travelodge or premier inn. In town nightlife is good , lots of good bars/ resturants , number 27 is great, go up castle st, also the castle tavern , which is across the road. if you fancy a wander go across the river to eden court theatre. There is the pictures ( vue) in the retail park out on the A96 , it has pizza hut , big tescos etc. back to the ground the steak pies are very good. also check the info http://www.footballgroundguide.com/s.../inverness.htm.

mon the south.
    Thanks for that - yes hotels quite expensive with Premier Inns probably the cheapest af 70 - B-B probably best - plenty of eateries and pubs - hope Queens can produce the goods

mon the south.
    I remember the Phoenix in Inverness re-opening amid much brouhaha a good few years ago. Is it still on the go or has it become something else?

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    I remember the Phoenix in Inverness re-opening amid much brouhaha a good few years ago. Is it still on the go or has it become something else?

the phoenix is still going, best avoided !. if anyone wants a jig etc then go to jonny foxes . decent live music but drinks pricey.

All booked up for free pensioners bus to Inverness via Glasgow 30th September

Leave Dumfries - 0630 Arrive Inverness 1223 via Glasgow
    Leave Inverness - 1730 Arrive Dumfries -0120 via Glasgow

Long day but free

food at arrival inverness, good selection for places to eat when you get off the train,

1: Black isle bar, and weatherspoons, go across the road from the station keep walking ahead then turn right go about 100 yrds.
    2: Castle st restaurant , up castle st half way up on the left , small old style, home cooking . decent and pretty fast.
    3: smith and jones , same deal as wetherpersons . cheap pub chain food . out of the station cross the rd turn left until you get to pedestrian precinct , turn right keep walking up pedestrian precinct , its`half way doon on the right after poundland.

there are plenty other , these are easy to reach.

see you sat.

Thanks for the pub info.Much appreciated.Is there any places that are best avoided? And what's "The Auctioneers" like for food?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagapapa View Post
    Thanks for the pub info.Much appreciated.Is there any places that are best avoided? And what's "The Auctioneers" like for food?
    stick to town centre ,thats where all the pubs etc are, the auctioneers is ok, food ok.

In today's Standard, Naysmith says and I quote: "People don't realise that he's (Alan Martin) played through an injury for us this season, so he couldn't train through the week.....because of that he is maybe not 100 per cent, - but he's getting fitter..."

Does Mr. Naysmith take the paying fans for fools? - We all saw him going off injured a few weeks ago, - so to suggest that "people don't realise he's played through an injury" is not acceptable.

It is also not acceptable to play someone who is clearly unfit, - because he is impacting big time on the results of games, - and that is bound to have an effect on the 10 other players in the team.

It is also not acceptable to admit in the press that your goalkeeper is unfit, - as that is a huge psychological advantage to Inverness and the rest of our competitors.

With the risk of sounding like a record that's stuck (I'm good at that) Naysmith should have arranged for an emergency loan until such times as Martin is fully fit, - which at the moment looks like at least February, - if he starts on the treadmill now!

All booked up for free pensioners bus to Inverness via Glasgow 30th September

Leave Dumfries - 0630 Arrive Inverness 1223 via Glasgow
    Leave Inverness - 1730 Arrive Dumfries -0120 via Glasgow

Long day but free
    Can't say I was impressed by Inverness (A proverbial one horse town like Fort William that has been shagged by tourism and expanded on the cheap) The Inverness football ground is a cold exposed souless place miles away from the dingy town centre. The atmosphere resembles a dentist's waiting room on a wet Monday morning. The only highlight was free pension's bus from Glasgow
    which was excellent which had a wee Glasgow woman hostess who dished out free coffee,irn bru and scones.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 04-10-2017 at 07:39 PM.

You sure you were in Inverness shanty?Myself and oldbag enjoyed a great couple of nights in a town that was bouncing both nights.The complete opposite of our own dingy town centre.Very pleasant people and decent prices for food and drink.The less said about "The Keg" bar though the better.However a certain member of the Shrewsbury branch can take the blame for that!

You sure you were in Inverness shanty?Myself and oldbag enjoyed a great couple of nights in a town that was bouncing both nights.The complete opposite of our own dingy town centre.Very pleasant people and decent prices for food and drink.The less said about "The Keg" bar though the better.However a certain member of the Shrewsbury branch can take the blame for that!
    Perhaps we have different tastes and motives George but Inverness holds no great attraction for me.

What happened at the Keg Bar ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast