+ Visit Queen of the South FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Inverness weekend

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,467

    Inverness weekend

    I noticed there are several adverts for Hotels in Inverness on this site - maybe our sponsors have twigged that Queens will be playing in Inverness soon and perhaps of us may be persuaded to make a weekend of it. There is an excellent express bus service Inverness via Glasgow and a senior citizen like myself who can travel free, may be tempted.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 10-09-2017 at 05:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    312
    Shanty,there are a considerable number that are travelling up and making a weekend of it.Myself and oldbag included.Also members from the Shrewsbury and Mersey branches.Taking advantage of the free bus to Glasgow then letting the train take the train to Inversnecky.Looking like it will be a great wee break,hopefully the fitba doesn't spoil it��

  3. #3
    We're going up by train. Scheduled to arrive at 2.15. Hope British Rail doesn't spoil it!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    We're going up by train. Scheduled to arrive at 2.15. Hope British Rail doesn't spoil it!
    What could possibly go wrong
    Hope it works out,

  5. #5

    RE Inverness

    Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    I noticed there are several adverts for Hotels in Inverness on this site - maybe our sponsors have twigged that Queens will be playing in Inverness soon and perhaps of us may be persuaded to make a weekend of it. There is an excellent express bus service Inverness via Glasgow and a senior citizen like myself who can travel free, may be tempted.
    For anybody who is travelling up to inverness please shout out for information about hotels ,pubs etc, . I am a distant doonhamer who lives in moray and works in inverness. Will be happy to help out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,467
    Quote Originally Posted by aljard View Post
    For anybody who is travelling up to inverness please shout out for information about hotels ,pubs etc, . I am a distant doonhamer who lives in moray and works in inverness. Will be happy to help out.
    Many thanks ajard - quite a big support coming up I would image - some for the day some for weekend - express bus service from Dumfries to Inverness via Glasgow free for pensioners - Any cheap hotels in Inverness would be appreciated - Is the Inverness ground within walking distance of town centre ? Majority of fans travelling up by supporters coach who last time visited the Social club at the ground but this may change. This Queens team is arguably the best we have had in years so interest is growing.

  7. #7

    re info

    Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    Many thanks ajard - quite a big support coming up I would image - some for the day some for weekend - express bus service from Dumfries to Inverness via Glasgow free for pensioners - Any cheap hotels in Inverness would be appreciated - Is the Inverness ground within walking distance of town centre ? Majority of fans travelling up by supporters coach who last time visited the Social club at the ground but this may change. This Queens team is arguably the best we have had in years so interest is growing.
    ok nae bother, so the ground is not an easy walk from the town , its possible but best bet is to share a taxi. if you want to drive either park at the nearby industrial parks or at the ground , their might be a parking fee. in town loads of good pubs resturants ; Try the Gellions for a good criac, walk down the main shopping st towards the river /bridge its on the right , or MacCallums Bar it is usually busy on sat decent laugh with music, locals like a song. it is in the centre around from wetherspoons , black isle brewery pub, and lots more they are all all the same street. Hotels probably dear , lots of B&b , try travelodge or premier inn. In town nightlife is good , lots of good bars/ resturants , number 27 is great, go up castle st, also the castle tavern , which is across the road. if you fancy a wander go across the river to eden court theatre. There is the pictures ( vue) in the retail park out on the A96 , it has pizza hut , big tescos etc. back to the ground the steak pies are very good. also check the info http://www.footballgroundguide.com/s.../inverness.htm.

    mon the south.

  8. #8
    I have been to the ICT ground and as aljard says it is a long way from the city centre so paid heed to this info. His other suggestions are spot on with reference to pubs etc - a nice place to visit for a weekend.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,467
    Quote Originally Posted by aljard View Post
    ok nae bother, so the ground is not an easy walk from the town , its possible but best bet is to share a taxi. if you want to drive either park at the nearby industrial parks or at the ground , their might be a parking fee. in town loads of good pubs resturants ; Try the Gellions for a good criac, walk down the main shopping st towards the river /bridge its on the right , or MacCallums Bar it is usually busy on sat decent laugh with music, locals like a song. it is in the centre around from wetherspoons , black isle brewery pub, and lots more they are all all the same street. Hotels probably dear , lots of B&b , try travelodge or premier inn. In town nightlife is good , lots of good bars/ resturants , number 27 is great, go up castle st, also the castle tavern , which is across the road. if you fancy a wander go across the river to eden court theatre. There is the pictures ( vue) in the retail park out on the A96 , it has pizza hut , big tescos etc. back to the ground the steak pies are very good. also check the info http://www.footballgroundguide.com/s.../inverness.htm.

    mon the south.
    Thanks for that - yes hotels quite expensive with Premier Inns probably the cheapest af 70 - B-B probably best - plenty of eateries and pubs - hope Queens can produce the goods

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by aljard View Post
    ok nae bother, so the ground is not an easy walk from the town , its possible but best bet is to share a taxi. if you want to drive either park at the nearby industrial parks or at the ground , their might be a parking fee. in town loads of good pubs resturants ; Try the Gellions for a good criac, walk down the main shopping st towards the river /bridge its on the right , or MacCallums Bar it is usually busy on sat decent laugh with music, locals like a song. it is in the centre around from wetherspoons , black isle brewery pub, and lots more they are all all the same street. Hotels probably dear , lots of B&b , try travelodge or premier inn. In town nightlife is good , lots of good bars/ resturants , number 27 is great, go up castle st, also the castle tavern , which is across the road. if you fancy a wander go across the river to eden court theatre. There is the pictures ( vue) in the retail park out on the A96 , it has pizza hut , big tescos etc. back to the ground the steak pies are very good. also check the info http://www.footballgroundguide.com/s.../inverness.htm.

    mon the south.
    I remember the Phoenix in Inverness re-opening amid much brouhaha a good few years ago. Is it still on the go or has it become something else?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    I remember the Phoenix in Inverness re-opening amid much brouhaha a good few years ago. Is it still on the go or has it become something else?

    the phoenix is still going, best avoided !. if anyone wants a jig etc then go to jonny foxes . decent live music but drinks pricey.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,467
    Quote Originally Posted by aljard View Post
    the phoenix is still going, best avoided !. if anyone wants a jig etc then go to jonny foxes . decent live music but drinks pricey.
    I'm afraid my days of jigging etc. are way behind me but thanks for the info which I'm sure the young crew will note. Fine part of the world up there. In my Naval days we use to visit Invergordon regularly and spent many a happy hour supping ale with the locals. We also used to play cricket beleive it or not and always got hammered by the local team. We also used to get horribly pissed at the annual highland games which were held locally at a wee town the name of which escapes me. The famous Glenmorange Malt Whisky is also distilled in the area.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by aljard View Post
    the phoenix is still going, best avoided !. if anyone wants a jig etc then go to jonny foxes . decent live music but drinks pricey.
    What's the story with the Phoenix?

  14. #14
    I wondered too - last time we were up there - the game that was called off I thought the Phoenix was one of the better pubs - certainly for ale!!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by billyqos View Post
    I wondered too - last time we were up there - the game that was called off I thought the Phoenix was one of the better pubs - certainly for ale!!
    might have have been a hasty with my comment, looks like it is ok according to TripAdvisor, i was in last year for a pint and it was ok, few characters about . it might have changed hands since then.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,467
    All booked up for free pensioners bus to Inverness via Glasgow 30th September

    Leave Dumfries - 0630 Arrive Inverness 1223 via Glasgow
    Leave Inverness - 1730 Arrive Dumfries -0120 via Glasgow

    Long day but free

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    6,399
    I sincerely hope Queens win this match on my birthday.

  18. #18
    Euan Anderson is the official in the Highlands this Saturday at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.

  19. #19
    food at arrival inverness, good selection for places to eat when you get off the train,

    1: Black isle bar, and weatherspoons, go across the road from the station keep walking ahead then turn right go about 100 yrds.
    2: Castle st restaurant , up castle st half way up on the left , small old style, home cooking . decent and pretty fast.
    3: smith and jones , same deal as wetherpersons . cheap pub chain food . out of the station cross the rd turn left until you get to pedestrian precinct , turn right keep walking up pedestrian precinct , its`half way doon on the right after poundland.

    there are plenty other , these are easy to reach.

    see you sat.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    6,399
    Quote Originally Posted by arrol1919 View Post
    Euan Anderson is the official in the Highlands this Saturday at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.
    Plagiarism...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •