+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who claims Rafa's style is negative

that squad on papaer wouldnt have cost a lot today
    take the keepers harper paveland i think hooper
    all bang average keepers

look at the back 4 peacock,vennison albert watson beresford howey elliott i think a lad called neielsonall averagae players and wouldnt cost a lot in todays market
    bracewell rob lee sellers paavisolou
    apart from rob lee average players

up front we had andy cole that we got for a bargain
    beardo a great player but we got him cheep
    ruel fox alex mathie

all part of the enetrtainers and none great players
    so its not the player its how you set them up

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    You say that our team is terrible and our manger isn´t doing a good job, but you want us to attack, attack, attack??

.......and you claim to have been a football coach?
    why wouldnt you attack

what has avearge players and a negative coach got to do with how you set your team up

we have got some good attacking players

we just dont play enough up front for them to benefit

lok at last season

we had two of the most prolific scorers in the fizzy and mistertrick
    and not once that i can remeber did we ever play the togetther or with 2 up front

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    why wouldnt you attack

what has avearge players and a negative coach got to do with how you set your team up

we have got some good attacking players

we just dont play enough up front for them to benefit

lok at last season

we had two of the most prolific scorers in the fizzy and mistertrick
    and not once that i can remeber did we ever play the togetther or with 2 up front
    We won the title FFS and you´re still not happy?
    If we set up to attack against most of the sides in this league we will be ripped to shreds.
    We need to play to our strengths - it´s a result based game/business.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    We won the title FFS and you´re still not happy?
    If we set up to attack against most of the sides in this league we will be ripped to shreds.
    We need to play to our strengths - it´s a result based game/business.
    have to agree with this 100%

Rafa used last season to set up a pattern of play that we could stick to, we used last season to get used to it and it should become easier to play your system against better teams, if it one your players know and understand.

all bang average keepers

look at the back 4 peacock,vennison albert watson beresford howey elliott i think a lad called neielsonall averagae players and wouldnt cost a lot in todays market

ruel fox alex mathie

Yes that squad those days didn't cost much, neither did the club as I believe SJH paid about £12 million for it a few months before the entertainers.

But the whole thing is relative. i.e. There were the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand and Beardsley then. How much would they cost in today's market.

You couldn't put a price on them now.

Also you are drooling over Watford's style of play but if Rafa had been buying players from Watford you would have been slagging him off.

Just let the man do his job. Safety first until we establish in the Premiership. Then depending on how honest Ashley is with his ambition, and he's welshed on promises to managers before, let's see what team Rafa can build and what style of play we will see from him when he gets his RIGHT TEAM on the pitch.

Who claims Rafa's style is negative

It wasn't taken down it was moved in error with the footy mad posts - have merged the 2

This thread seems to have been taken down for some "reason"

As there was no controversy in it, only discussion and difference of opinion, I've continued.

Pboro posted a genuine opinion yesterday at 4.02

all bang average keepers

ruel fox alex mathie

ex_pat_magpie reply today

Yes that squad those days didn't cost much, neither did the club as I believe SJH paid about £12 million for it a few months before the entertainers.

But the whole thing is relative. i.e. There were the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand and Beardsley then. How much would they cost in today's market.

Also you are drooling over Watford's style of play but if Rafa had been buying players from Watford you would have been slagging him off.

Just let the man do his job. Safety first until we establish in the Premiership. Then depending on how honest Ashley is with his ambition, and he's welshed on promises to managers before, let's see what team Rafa can build and what style of play we will see from him when he gets his RIGHT TEAM on the pitch.
    Last edited by toonlegend; 12-09-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Thank you for that J. I just thought another mod had acted in haste thinking it was going to turn into a slanging match, which of course it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post

what he paid then to now has no relevance to setting a team up in a negative way

it is completly immaterial

rafa could pay 140 mill or 4 mill for a player
    if he then makes that player play in a negative formation the style of play is negative

kk didnt go out and buy expensive players in the main
    what he did was play those players in a positive formation

very much like watford have started and a few others

even wba play a much more positive way than they did a few seasons ago

i dont think that anyone except someone who is brewing for an argument by twisting the thread would say rafas tactics are positive

he plays 1 up front will make subs but keep 1 up front even when we are loosing .to me that is negative footy
    just an opinion

negative footy and psoitive results are two different things

what he paid then to now has no relevance to setting a team up in a negative way

it is completly immaterial

rafa could pay 140 mill or 4 mill for a player
    if he then makes that player play in a negative formation the style of play is negative

kk didnt go out and buy expensive players in the main
    what he did was play those players in a positive formation

very much like watford have started and a few others

even wba play a much more positive way than they did a few seasons ago

i dont think that anyone except someone who is brewing for an argument by twisting the thread would say rafas tactics are positive

he plays 1 up front will make subs but keep 1 up front even when we are loosing .to me that is negative footy
    just an opinion

negative footy and psoitive results are two different things
    Pboro Please don't get twisted and warped. No one to use your own words

"is brewing for an argument by twisting the thread would say rafas tactics are positive"

And talking about "twisting for an argument by twisting threads" No one on this board has done this more than yourself by your continuous ranting and ravings against one of the world's most successful coaches.

How's this for a record.

He is the only manager in history to have won the UEFA Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup.

How many coaches/managers in the world have come close to this.

All it is, is a difference of opinion between yourself and the rest of the board who have different opinions.

I am convinced that Rafa will play a more attacking style the more safer we are in the division

I see Peterborough's points, I agree with your view on attacking footy, that's what I want to see too BUT Bill's right though, the games changed MASSIVELY, you try and attack teams in this league and you'll get pissed all over...

We've got to build slowly and the more we improve our playing squad the more you'll see Rafa adapt the way he sets his team up, I'm sure.

As Toptoon said, you've got to play to your strengths and Rafa is building a solid team, it's a results business... Just look at your mate De Boer, an excellent coaching/ethos pedigree and tbf they do have some talent but it failed miserably...

Also you mentioned the likes of Neilsson, Bracewell, Sellers etc but in 96 we had a ****ing good team and it WOULD cost a fortune now..

Ginola was bought from PSG for £2.5m? How much would they want for a winger of his quality now? LOL...

Ferdinand another 6m player who scored regularly... Wood cost £15m and he couldn't lace big les's boots man.

Gillespie would STILL be one of the best right wingers in the league on his day...

Batty was a 4m signing from leeds and apart from Keane I'd say he was one of the best DM's in the league.

Barton was a 4m signing from Wimbledon and I'm pretty sure he was the most expensive defender in the league at that time you know, so you'd be looking at atleast £20m now mate

Albert was **** hot, Belgium were ****e back then and he still cost around 4m so again you'd be looking at atleast 20m for a ball playing defender of his standard.

Then there's Asprilla, Lee and Beardsley... Attack minded players who were full of quality and regardless of price comparable to the very best in the league.

I'm a firm believer that a player's quality is not determined by price, but it is harder to find them now and it's going to take time to build the team, he's restricted tbf so I'm sure he'll be eying several windows and a good season back in the Prem before he starts attempting to dominate teams rather than 5 games and 1 window tbh.

There's so many variables but at the end of the day KK had top dollar to spend back then and in todays market as Bill said you'd be looking at around £250m to assemble that squad, without any doubt.

At the end of the day, you're right with what you're saying about it shouldn't matter about the quality of players, if they go out there and play attacking football but in reality unless you've got the right amount of quality you can't sustain it over a full game never mind a season, you need to be pragmatic at times and I believe we have one of the best tacticians in the business, I really do, it's far more intricate than just saying "go out there and attack them lads".

I think we've got the basis of a solid team and I truly believe that once he gets the players he needs/wants then you'll see more attacking intent... Although I'd go back to Bills original points about us having one of the best away records in the past year and our number of attempts at goal...

Patience is key, we're building from the back and that's a very sensible approach considering that we've just been promoted.

Bit by bit we'll get there, I'm appreciating what we DO have rather than what we don't at the minute tbh.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)