+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone reassure me please we will never be that bad again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Someone reassure me please we will never be that bad again

At home, playing bottom team, which hasn't scored a goal in the Prem this season

"Fortress Turf" looked more like a little ant hill.

Passing was a dirty word; almost as dirty as stringing three passes together.

We lost all 50-50 balls.

We won only because of the Witches of Pendle Hill's 405th (just passed) anniversary.

Must be even more fun being a Palace supporter?

We're in the Premier League - heeler....we could play a good few games like that and potentially finish the season halfway up the table.

I think - we played to their weakness...let them come at us and do what we do best - numbers back and defend. Others of recent have had the worse of the game against Palace also....but managed five goals (3 & 2) between them - I suppose it's easy after the game to say - we should have seen a lot more of the ball - pressured more - played a neater game than we did etc - it's true....but that could have been our downfall - as for me - they were wide open at their end on many occassions - and we still couldn't find the space or make a movement of decent quality from our attacks - times we tried the'd come to nothing, ball would end up passed back into our end - so did we just decide not to bother committing men forward - feeling that they were more likely to score on the break - I dont know... though do know that even with a win - I didn't expect to see much more from the game than what was.

Cheers.

Bad day at the office and we are sitting seventh in the EPL?

That is nearly the worse I have seen us in the last three seasons but we still won...

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/clarets...-ugly/9090239/

If we play that bad every week and win- I will take that.

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    If we repeat that performance at Anfield we will get slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    I'm sure that's worth a Barton bet.

One that never comes off.

No, we are highly unlikely to ever play as badly as that and still win--this was a once-in-a-lifetime result.

I think the Palace player's missed header right in front of goal was all our Christmases in one.

Whatever went on in the collective Burnley players' heads had little to do with football.

It's almost like Barton had personally given Burnley players odds of 30/1 against Palace scoring a goal and everyone in the team was on it.

I hope that was the case because the alternative of total team incompetence to play any kind of known football brand will haunt me until the next game.

I don't like singling players out when the whole team was off the boil, but I have to say that Brady was very disappointing with his crosses and corners.

They only lost 1-0 at Anfield and Benteke blazed one over the bar though they had 28% possession there and parked the bus.

Strange as it may seem, I don't think that the early goal helped us at all --except that it decided the game!
    We had two very good chances shortly after that which, had we put away would have seen us three up after just over quarter of an hour, however, that was not to be. In the first half we got some good crosses in but apart from the header that Sam put wide (should have scored) nobody got on the end of them which was criminal.
    Cabaye ran the show and always found space and was their main creator, however, we defended well and came away with the win.
    Strange that out first two home games this season have almost mirrored the first two of last season.
    Should have beaten Swansea last season and lost 0-1, should have beaten West Brom and lost 0-1.
    Won against Liverpool 2-0 although the statistics showed possession 20% : shots 3: on target 2: corners 1:
    Liverpool possession 80%: shots 26: on target 5: corners 12:
    Against Palace possession 35% shots 4: on target 2: corners 3:
    Palace possession 65%: shots 23: on target 5: corners 13.

Both managers moaned about the fact that they should have won, couldn't believe etc., etc., however, the bottom line is that, if you don't score the goals --you won't win.
    We suffered against West Brom and there will be other games when the same thing will happen and that is football.

So blueheeler, the bottom line is that nobody can guarantee anything when watching football, just go along with what is offered and don't over-analyse because it won't change the result.We know we can play better than we did yesterday, however, there is no guarantee that we will win when we do so. Remain optimistic, after all, we have 7 points from 4 games and are only 3 points behind the league leaders!

Some unfair and unnecessary singling out of individual players. De Boer won the tactical battle over Dyche and we got very lucky despite some brilliant defending.

Plus the players sat back in the later stages of the game with no intention of supporting any attacks that we had the chance of making.

Dyche said Palace were the better side but he has to take full responsibility for the performance and tactics. A lucky manager on the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)