+ Visit Dundee FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Players in the press

  1. #1

    Players in the press

    I know they can't help but give banal answers to the never changing banal questions and continually trot out the same old cliches but it dosent stop me wanting them to stop.

    Saying it's all gonna click soon and regurgitating guff about one of the best squads in the league is fooling no one.

    We have (I think, I was more certain 3 or 4 weeks ago) better individual players than last season but until McCann gets them working as a team it will count for hee haw.

    Before anyone asks what do you want them to

  2. #2
    (****ing pressed wrong button lol) say I would go for either not much or an acknowledgement that performances in the league have ranged from barely adequate to very poor and we know it's got to improve.

  3. #3
    Players and managers talking crap to the press is my pet hate as well

    Again like you I think we have better creative players but we must get the defence sorted out pronto

    Once our defenders are all back I'd have odea and the Bulgarian as our first choice.

  4. #4
    When I seen team on Saturday I knew we were f*cked, I'd have played Meekings and the Spaniard, all the nonsense about young lads having done well, that doesn't get you results at places like ibrox, McCann should have thanked them for last few weeks, explained their time would come again and played experienced defenders, loyalty won't keep him his job, or get us of the bottom

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    When I seen team on Saturday I knew we were f*cked, I'd have played Meekings and the Spaniard, all the nonsense about young lads having done well, that doesn't get you results at places like ibrox, McCann should have thanked them for last few weeks, explained their time would come again and played experienced defenders, loyalty won't keep him his job, or get us of the bottom
    I didn't understand the original selection either. as for getting quotes from the players it doesn't work in a PR sense or in a team building sense, IMO. Would much rather have a more detailed report about the injury list, even keeping names in the frame will help those players who are working their way back to full fitness, and I'd far rather read stories about the players attending hospital to boost a supporter who is ill, or attend schools where football is actually being played etc. Presenting themselves as part of the local community, and showing themselves as responsible adults will do far more to boost the reputation of the Dee's than spouting the same routine phrases every week.

    The club needs a proper professional PR function rather than the same old quotes from the players format. The press is tired of it the players are tired of it and I'm pretty sure the supporters are tired of it.

  6. #6
    Just wondering if any schools still play football, or is it all privately run local boys clubs?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post
    Players and managers talking crap to the press is my pet hate as well

    Again like you I think we have better creative players but we must get the defence sorted out pronto

    Once our defenders are all back I'd have odea and the Bulgarian as our first choice.
    Agree with the O'Dea and Ghadz as defenders. Think the defenders gotta defend first and foremost. Stopping the opposition scoring is even more vital when you don't have a strike force that is banging in the goals. It looks as though NM has actually done something about that with Meekings etc but I'd get O'Dea and Ghadz back together as a starting point.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I didn't understand the original selection either. as for getting quotes from the players it doesn't work in a PR sense or in a team building sense, IMO. Would much rather have a more detailed report about the injury list, even keeping names in the frame will help those players who are working their way back to full fitness, and I'd far rather read stories about the players attending hospital to boost a supporter who is ill, or attend schools where football is actually being played etc. Presenting themselves as part of the local community, and showing themselves as responsible adults will do far more to boost the reputation of the Dee's than spouting the same routine phrases every week.

    The club needs a proper professional PR function rather than the same old quotes from the players format. The press is tired of it the players are tired of it and I'm pretty sure the supporters are tired of it.
    absolutely SPOT on re PR so so many things we need to do
    ie i may be wrong but are the clu running a fitba school during the tattie holidays as i aint seen anything as of yet

  9. #9
    Definitely need to tighten the defence. I would have odea, ghadzalov and meekings starting. We are way too naive and easy to beat. Midfield is soft as well, then their is the striker issue.

  10. #10
    I'd like to see Hendry in midfield, he can play a bit football, no scared to take a player or two on, and he has the dig that we're missing

  11. #11
    My original post was maybe harsh on Hendry it isn't his fault.

    He dosent know we have been hearing similar guff on and off for twenty odd years.

    Maybe a better standard of journalist would help.

    I wish I had a for every time I've heard the opening question "so Brendan/Walter/Pedro/Martin/Derek a five nil win you must be delighted?"

  12. #12
    Or after the final whistle of a cup final, "how does it feel"

  13. #13
    Or every manager who has got an away point or win always states no matter where they have won that "It's a difficult place to come" whether it be brora ****ing rangers or galetassary.

  14. #14
    Every team in Scotland likes to "get the ball down and pass it and play the right way" even though not many teams in my forty five year of going have actually done that but apparently Morton, Livingston and Ayr Utd are doing it every week.

    ****ing *******s

  15. #15
    Showed them too much respect!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    My original post was maybe harsh on Hendry it isn't his fault.

    He dosent know we have been hearing similar guff on and off for twenty odd years.

    Maybe a better standard of journalist would help.

    I wish I had a for every time I've heard the opening question "so Brendan/Walter/Pedro/Martin/Derek a five nil win you must be delighted?"
    journo - Why do you persist in leaving your full backs exposed?
    Journo - Why do you have so many wee players in your midfield, are you heightist?
    Journo - how long to Dundee supporters have to wait before they see a winger that can cross the ball accurately?

    There must be many more questions that they should be asking. Perhaps if we gave them a few hints they might get some ideas as they browse the fan's forums for ideas to write about.

  17. #17
    Turning dens park into a fortress.

    Fans turn up in numbers.

    Paying due respect to opposition when opposition is ****e.

    Technically gifted ( translation he can trap a ball without it running out the park)

    Great engine ( player can run without getting roarie deaconed)

    Wand of a left foot. Wands only come in lefts nobody ever has a wand of a right. No idea why.

    Purchase on the ball. Copyright Ron foot in mouth Atkinson.

    You wonder if journalism and commentary has moved on from Arthur and Archies days. Stramash, goal Scotland and woooof weren't exactly sophistication but at least they gave you a bit of entertainment.

  18. #18
    favourite David Francey stories.

    When a co-commentator pointed out the name of a foreign player that was virtually unpronounceable, he remarked: "Don't worry, he won't be getting much of the ball tonight."

    There was a great story about him commentating on a Scotland game in Romania in the 1970s when he turned, off microphone, to summariser Ian Archer and asked 'Who's that Romanian number 4?' Archer replied 'F*cked if I know!'

    Francey then told the listeners 'And Romania clear through Fuctifino...' Apocryphal no doubt but believable!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    favourite David Francey stories.

    When a co-commentator pointed out the name of a foreign player that was virtually unpronounceable, he remarked: "Don't worry, he won't be getting much of the ball tonight."

    There was a great story about him commentating on a Scotland game in Romania in the 1970s when he turned, off microphone, to summariser Ian Archer and asked 'Who's that Romanian number 4?' Archer replied 'F*cked if I know!'

    Francey then told the listeners 'And Romania clear through Fuctifino...' Apocryphal no doubt but believable!
    Lol.

    Presenter on radio Scotland at the back end of last season spent about 2 minutes asking packy Bonnar in a far too long winded way how the Hamilton players would be handling the relegation jitters in the dressing room.

    Packy who am sure is paid well by the BBC said "I've no idea I've never been in a relegation fight"

    Jesus Christ almighty.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Lol.

    Presenter on radio Scotland at the back end of last season spent about 2 minutes asking packy Bonnar in a far too long winded way how the Hamilton players would be handling the relegation jitters in the dressing room.

    Packy who am sure is paid well by the BBC said "I've no idea I've never been in a relegation fight"

    Jesus Christ almighty.
    Completely agree about the lack of fun on Radio. There's banter on the Open All Mikes but it isn't really witty or funny IMO. Pulling Chic Young's leg and trying to trip each other up just isn't the same as idiosyncratic commentating, where you are waiting for the line. Think everyone is too serious and frightened that they give offence. Bit like on here, as opposed to the other forum! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •