+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodgson-not the right man for Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by nutsinmay View Post
    I have a lot of respect for Hodgson - he may not have got the best results as a manager, but he knows the game inside out and is an 'old school' gentleman.

And it really irks me when people mock his speech mannerism. Same mindset as mocking people with ginger hair imho.
    He has won nothing. He is useless and I have no idea why Palace would want to build their club around a trophy less 70 year bloke with no ambition and very little managerial talent.

Quote Originally Posted by nutsinmay View Post
    I have a lot of respect for Hodgson - he may not have got the best results as a manager, but he knows the game inside out and is an 'old school' gentleman.

And it really irks me when people mock his speech mannerism. Same mindset as mocking people with ginger hair imho.
    What's the point of knowing the game inside out if you don't get results. Like any other sport football is all about winning. 35 '/, win rate is just not acceptable. Can't you see that ?

HIs win rate in the Premier League is 38% over 276 games with various clubs which is comparable with quite a number of PL managers in recent years. The fact that he is now in his 70s does raise the question of how he is going to progress the club, however, it is not our problem and I'm happy to let them get on with it.
    They have a good squad of players, a Chairman who does care about the club and American owners who are probably wondering what the hell is going on!

Roy is exactly the guy they need!

its a results bisiness which is why De Bore was sacked- a manager who has Woy"s win ratio is probably in League 1

Roy at Liverpool

Hodgson has at least broken plenty of records as manager at Anfield;

• Liverpool lost 8 matches after 18 match rounds in the league for the first time since 1964/1965.
    • The last time Liverpool had fewer points at turn of the year was in 1953/54 … the season they were relegated.
    • After the first five games of the season, Liverpool recorded its worst start to a season since 1992-93.
    • Liverpool suffered its first loss to Blackpool at Anfield since 1967.
    • Liverpool’s first loss to Stoke in 26 years.
    • Liverpool’s first-ever loss in its entire history to fourth division opposition (Northampton in September).
    • Liverpool suffered only their second-ever loss to Wolves at home in 60 years.
    • For a period this season Liverpool has been mired in bottom-three relegation zone for first time since 1984.
    • The worst winning percentage (41.38%) for a Liverpool manager since 1959, edging Graeme Souness’ 41.4% in 1991-94.
    • The first Liverpool manager to win fewer than six of his first 18 league games in charge since George Kay only won five back in 1936.

Well OC- just the man to take them back into the champion****ttttttttte.

I wish people would read posts properly! I said quite clearly that 'he may not have got the best results as a manager', and I was commenting more on his personal qualities as opposed to louts like Big Sam.

I would personally agree with the thread title, because Hodgson is very much a long term team-builder and would give some stability to a roller-coaster club like Palace, but I agree that he's an anachronism in the modern game and won't be given a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    Well OC- just the man to take them back into the champion****ttttttttte.
    His recent club win rate is near 40% with Liverpool actually his best effort, so if he wins 14 of the next 34 that's 42 points and safety

Fulham 30 December 2007 -1 July 2010. - 39.1
    Liverpool 1 July 2010 -8 January 2011 -41.9
    West Bromwich 14 February 2011-14 May 2012 -37.0

England 14 May 2012 27 June 2016 -58.9

But he hasn't done much since leaving England apart from a sojourn to Melbourne. A two year contract hardly says much about this being long term. Meanwhile Frank gets £5M for 77 days work.

Palace management seems to be dysfunctional. Given the next four games include three top teams will Roy go if they lose them all??

Wasn't Hodgson in charge of the England team that capitulated to Iceland ? After that debacle he should never be allowed near any football team again....ever. But if Palace want to let him loose on their team, well best of luck with that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)