+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How long are you a pie

2nd Nov 1974 a ten year old skandark went to meadow lane and saw a 5-0 home win against Hull City.

First match I remember 1948/49 season (I was 6 years old) versus Newport County.

Well you would remember that wouldn't you?....Lawton got 4; Sewell got 4, and we won 11 - 1.

I was the announcer on the tannoy in the 60's, ran the junior Magpies, with the Andersons, and Jimmy would always come out befoe kick off at away matches with a complimentary ticket for me.
    I was also secretary of Alex Gibson's testimonial.

There may be others that love the Magpies as much as I do, But nobody loves them more.

November 1972 at home to Lancaster City in the fa cup. Pies winning 2-1

August 1957, I was 9 years old and I think the opposition was Sheffield United, 1-1 draw? This was Tommy Lawton's only season as manager.
    This current season is my 61st and the best player I've seen in Notts' colours was Don Masson, closely followed by David Needham.

Quote Originally Posted by americanpie View Post
    First match I remember 1948/49 season (I was 6 years old) versus Newport County.

Well you would remember that wouldn't you?....Lawton got 4; Sewell got 4, and we won 11 - 1.
    That'll take some beating american. Not only for the date but the scoreline! I'm envious. Wish I'd been born 7 years earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by rorylee View Post
    Notts V Brighton - 2nd June 1991 - Wembley Stadium - Play Off Final. I was 12.

I'd always been a Liverpool fan as young kid and got offered a ticket to go with family friends. Loved the walk up Wembley Way and the banter between the two sets of fans. I was bitten by the Notts bug from that moment on!
    Similar story my 1st Notts game was the semi final that year v Middlesborough. The atmosphere that night when we reached the final was brilliant and definitely got the bug. I also used to be a Liverpool fan and my 1st ever football game was when Liverpool played across the river on New Years day in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    That'll take some beating american. Not only for the date but the scoreline! I'm envious. Wish I'd been born 7 years earlier!
    Trouble was 60 Years: I expected that kind of score every week. We had already beaten Ipswich 9 - 2.
    The other downside is that I'm 75 years old. Still hoping I live long enough to see Notts in the premiership..(some hope!)

Trouble was 60 Years: I expected that kind of score every week. We had already beaten Ipswich 9 - 2.
    The other downside is that I'm 75 years old. Still hoping I live long enough to see Notts in the premiership..(some hope!)
    11-1 and 9-2.....I bet if the "betting thread" had been around in those days....you'd took some stick backing those numbers....then cleaned up!

I was the announcer on the tannoy in the 60's, ran the junior Magpies, with the Andersons, and Jimmy would always come out befoe kick off at away matches with a complimentary ticket for me.
    I was also secretary of Alex Gibson's testimonial.

There may be others that love the Magpies as much as I do, But nobody loves them more.

A nice last sentence AP - I know exactly how you feel.

I was born in '38 and first watched Notts during war time friendlies. We lived in Burton Joyce opposite the Trent bus terminus and when I was about 5 or 6 my mother would put me on the bus to Nottingham where my Dad would pick me up from the bus at the top of Meadow Lane as he worked most Saturday mornings where his place of employment was the Railway & General Engineering CO. on Meadow Lane. IT always seemed a long walk down the 'Lane for those little legs and then back up again after the game to catch the bus back home from Colwick Road. I can't remember my first league game when the leagues reformed (we were in Div. 3 South) but it was certainly before Tommy joined us.

I have a ST in the Pavis but mostly let family borrow it as I now struggle a little to walk up and down the steps. Originally my dad was secretary of the Burton Joyce branch of the supporters club - do you remember the little black and white lapel brooches shaped like a football that supporters club members wore? The first goalie I can remember playing was Gordon Bradley (also a professional tennis player) and the right back was Aubrey Southwell who was later to form a great full back pairing with Tommy Deans (arguably the best and hardest left back we've ever had)

Half backs in those early years were Tommy Johnston, Henry Adamson, Bill Corkhill, Billy Baxter, Leon Leuty and a little later ... Peter Russell (Big by the way, but not as hard as 'Butcher' Deans!) Of course I nearly forgot, there was Bert Loxley, Gerry Carver and Johnny Sheridan around as well - and big Norman Rigby.

The memory fades .....but I do smile a little at times when some of the lads on this board think they've been around a bit because they started back in the 60's. I could go on and on .......... the old wooden exit gates about 12' wide coping with hundreds of supporters ........ if you were in the middle going through, you were compressed like a sardine in a can. The marching bands providing pre match entertainment ........ The blanket being carried around the running track at half time to collect the coins being thrown into it for various causes ........ The expectancy when the teams ran out for the pre match kick in ....... Tommy Lawton heading the ball and then in much later years Don Masson, Mark Draper, TJ and Les Bradd.

Yes superb memories and not forgetting PC was a thing of the future and you could vent your feelings without fear of prosecution. Footballers looked professional with shirts tucked in and not a tattoo in site!! No substitutions and a good old fashioned 2 -3 - 5 formation to give wide and open play.

I first watched the Pies as a 5 year old in 19th against Brighton a 2 - 2 draw sat on my dad's shoulders on the old Spion Kop so that is 67 years.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast