+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How long are you a pie

Around 1975-76 was my first game. My dad and all my family were Forest fans and I was born a stones throw away fom the City Ground in Bridgford. However I wanted to venture over the river much to my dads disappointment but he still took me and I've never looked back since...although I was disowned for quite some time, haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    5 feet 8 inches. Wish I was longer.
    Can't you spell?

About 30 years although I went with my old man a few times before that. First propor game was Notts 3 Walsall 1 under Sir Jimmy with Mick Waitt and Richard Young dream team upfront. I can clearly remember someone making monkey noises at Richard Young from the County Road and everyone laughing. How times have changed ( for the better in some parts and for much worse in others). It was 2.75 for me to get in.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts View Post
    Dec 1959. Notts v Bath City. FA Cup 2nd round. We lost 0-1. To make matters worse it was on Match of the Day that night.
    George Smith in goal. Stan Newsham and Roy Horribin up front with Don Roby on the wing.
    Got the programme and a ticket stub off ebay a couple of years back.
    My first match as well!! Taken by a family friend.

I'm 37 now and my Dad took me to my first game when I was 3. So 34 years....and still going strong despite relocation! I want to live until I'm 103 so I can say I've been supporting Notts 100 years. Wouldn't that be something?

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    I'm 37 now and my Dad took me to my first game when I was 3. So 34 years....and still going strong despite relocation! I want to live until I'm 103 so I can say I've been supporting Notts 100 years. Wouldn't that be something?
    You're made of sterner stuff, Manc!

1976 Notts vs Wolves 1 - 1 Arthur Mann late on.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    A nice last sentence AP - I know exactly how you feel.

I was born in '38 and first watched Notts during war time friendlies. We lived in Burton Joyce opposite the Trent bus terminus and when I was about 5 or 6 my mother would put me on the bus to Nottingham where my Dad would pick me up from the bus at the top of Meadow Lane as he worked most Saturday mornings where his place of employment was the Railway & General Engineering CO. on Meadow Lane. IT always seemed a long walk down the 'Lane for those little legs and then back up again after the game to catch the bus back home from Colwick Road. I can't remember my first league game when the leagues reformed (we were in Div. 3 South) but it was certainly before Tommy joined us.

I have a ST in the Pavis but mostly let family borrow it as I now struggle a little to walk up and down the steps. Originally my dad was secretary of the Burton Joyce branch of the supporters club - do you remember the little black and white lapel brooches shaped like a football that supporters club members wore? The first goalie I can remember playing was Gordon Bradley (also a professional tennis player) and the right back was Aubrey Southwell who was later to form a great full back pairing with Tommy Deans (arguably the best and hardest left back we've ever had)

Half backs in those early years were Tommy Johnston, Henry Adamson, Bill Corkhill, Billy Baxter, Leon Leuty and a little later ... Peter Russell (Big by the way, but not as hard as 'Butcher' Deans!) Of course I nearly forgot, there was Bert Loxley, Gerry Carver and Johnny Sheridan around as well - and big Norman Rigby.

The memory fades .....but I do smile a little at times when some of the lads on this board think they've been around a bit because they started back in the 60's. I could go on and on .......... the old wooden exit gates about 12' wide coping with hundreds of supporters ........ if you were in the middle going through, you were compressed like a sardine in a can. The marching bands providing pre match entertainment ........ The blanket being carried around the running track at half time to collect the coins being thrown into it for various causes ........ The expectancy when the teams ran out for the pre match kick in ....... Tommy Lawton heading the ball and then in much later years Don Masson, Mark Draper, TJ and Les Bradd.

Yes superb memories and not forgetting PC was a thing of the future and you could vent your feelings without fear of prosecution. Footballers looked professional with shirts tucked in and not a tattoo in site!! No substitutions and a good old fashioned 2 -3 - 5 formation to give wide and open play.
    Lovely post SP. My vote for post of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by spag View Post
    1976 Notts vs Wolves 1 - 1 Arthur Mann late on.
    If Wolves 76 was your first game, then the first Notts goal you ever saw would have been Les Bradd breaking the all-time club scoring record, not Arthur Mann.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Lovely post SP. My vote for post of the week.
    Seconded!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast