+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long are you a pie

Chelsea away think 1976 drew 1-1..
    Was back and forth to London living and eventually settled in Nottingham in late "76"
    Used to go down Stamford bridge(shed end) as a toddler on my dads shoulders then once moved to the shire of Nottingham it was Notts county all the way.
    Not looked back since

I'm impressed by the clear memories of some on here. I really struggle to remember my first match - and it was only in the early 90s! I was a kid though so understandable.

My main memory was that Tommy Johnson sat next to me in the stands and asked to borrow my programme. I don't know if the fact he was a spectator means it was around the time he was leaving the club in 1992. Or he could have been injured..? I clearly remember some of the games from the season after that so it was definitely around that time.

Notts V Brighton - 2nd June 1991 - Wembley Stadium - Play Off Final. I was 12.

I'd always been a Liverpool fan as young kid and got offered a ticket to go with family friends. Loved the walk up Wembley Way and the banter between the two sets of fans. I was bitten by the Notts bug from that moment on!

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Age 6 - 72/73 season.

The first game I remember with any detail was a home game against Man U (google tells me that was probably 75) cos it felt like a war zone! Took penos at half time in 1980 - very fond memory - and did my first season as a steward in 82.
    I was at that game and remember being frightened to death. Man U fans climbing the floodlights , on the pitch and London Road was like a battle zone , bobbies with truncheon's chasing the red horde everywhere !

Around 1979/80 I would tell classmates that I'd been to watch Notts occassionally as I was too embarrassed to admit that I'd never been to a real life game. EVERYbody else who had an interested in football (and quite a few that didn't) got taken over to the dark side before the end of the 78/79 season, so that was the point when I began to pester my dad to take me to Meadow Lane but he'd been seriously put off going to games having been a regular at Elland Road when we lived up there. It was only when Liverpool were at the Lane on a Saturday afternoon that he couldn't say no (November 1982). Only missed 3 home league games in the 14 years that followed (to the end of 1995/96), also went to a fair amount of away games during the Barmwell/Warnock/Walker era.

The summer of 2002 was the point where I ceased to be a loyal supporter, largely due to Scradino though that period did coincide with my kids being born and I suddenly had different priorities. Returned with my son for about 4 seasons (starting with Munto) but his passion is now guitars and girls, I wish I'd been the same!
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 12-09-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Think my first game was 1987 - a 3-3 draw with Reading.

My first game was in 1986 when I was 4, **** knows who it was against though!

About 45 years ago.

Bill Brindley, Dave Needham, Roy Brown, Kevin Randall etc.

Present at such games as cup win at Leeds United circa 1975, away at Arsenal 5-0 FA Cup defeat, away defeat at Maine Road 5-0 I think.

I was introduced by a family member who went on to work at Notts for many years, sadly no longer with us.

I will be black n white until the day I die.
    You can keep the Premier League multi millionaires - I support my home town club. It's a pity more fans don't but it's a free country.

COYP

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Age 6 - 72/73 season.

The first game I remember with any detail was a home game against Man U (google tells me that was probably 75) cos it felt like a war zone! Took penos at half time in 1980 - very fond memory - and did my first season as a steward in 82.
    That was my first match too. Pitch invasion, seats flying and fires if I recall correctly.

Well if we end up with some SILVERware at the end of the season, I'll claim to be the lucky charm. I will complete 25 years of supporting the pies when the Stags visit the lane in March.

First game:
    13th March 1993. Just a few meters in front of me, at the Meadow Lane end, Richard Walker scored a header, which was enough to win the game 1-0. That was me hooked.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast