+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The worst Ive seen in 60 years/I remember when I were a lad/Real butter for tea

The worst Ive seen in 60 years/I remember when I were a lad/Real butter for tea

In the spirit of the Monty-Pythonesque/Ripping Yarns sentiment expressed by Champs95,I thought it only fair to detail the very worst performance by Rovers in (nearly)60 years IMHO. .Would have to be the 7-1 defeat to Man.Utd 27.11.2010. But NOT the worst Ive seen,as I didnt attend that match but with Nelsen,Samba,& Salgado in the back-line I think thats a fair shout.
    There were some pretty terrible performances last season when Coyle was in charge,but not absolute hammerings, Then again,the level of the opposition was poorer.

This brings me nicely to one thing I hope everyone can agree on. The booing and calling-out of Rovers players by so-called "supporters." This is very wrong,and affects the confidence of players with more limited ability,often trying to do their very best. The abuse heaped on Chris Brown, and even Jason Lowe in recent times was ridiculous...the same could be said about Keith Andrews and Mark Atkins going further back. In fact,Mark Atkins was probably the best long-range striker of a ball Ive ever seen at Ewood,behind only Alan Shearer.

The very best performance? Probably too many to mention-consider the seven goal wins against Norwich,Sheffield Wednesday & Nottingham Forest in the not-too distant past. But the 4-3 win at Ewood against Man.Utd on 01.02.2006 lingers longer in the memory than any other game. Consider that was a Man.Utd team including Wayne Rooney,Christiano Ronaldo AND Ruud van Nistelrooy in attack and Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic also. David Bentley had probably the best game of his career that night,scoring a hat-trick ,perfectly sublime.
    Last edited by Bobcrompton1896; 12-09-2017 at 09:20 AM.

I remember that game well I was completely outnumbered by United fans in a pub
    I made it very known I was a rovers supporter how I made it out alive Christ knows.

Cant really say the performance against Wimbledon was that bad-not the worst in 60 years anyway! However you have to consider the poor quality of the opposition and the fact our wage bill is probably 20(?) times that of Wimbledon,before allowing for resources,training facilities etc etc.
    The goal conceded was downright awful. The main fault at home may well be a lack of atmosphere BUT this is where the manager should do more. Mowbray isnt very good at encouraging the players to give that bit extra. Not really a problem away from home,where the supporters generate the motivation,particularly in smaller stadiums.

We needed someone to unlock the Wimbledon defence. Should have been a game situation hand-picked for Whittingham. If Mowbray hasnt the confidence to play him(probably correct in my view)then why not ship him out,all-expenses and wage bill paid,to say Accrington Stanley or similar on loan to free -up a place on the bench for Tomlinson,Harper or another kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcrompton1896 View Post
    Cant really say the performance against Wimbledon was that bad-not the worst in 60 years anyway! However you have to consider the poor quality of the opposition and the fact our wage bill is probably 20(?) times that of Wimbledon,before allowing for resources,training facilities etc etc.
    The goal conceded was downright awful. The main fault at home may well be a lack of atmosphere BUT this is where the manager should do more. Mowbray isnt very good at encouraging the players to give that bit extra. Not really a problem away from home,where the supporters generate the motivation,particularly in smaller stadiums.

We needed someone to unlock the Wimbledon defence. Should have been a game situation hand-picked for Whittingham. If Mowbray hasnt the confidence to play him(probably correct in my view)then why not ship him out,all-expenses and wage bill paid,to say Accrington Stanley or similar on loan to free -up a place on the bench for Tomlinson,Harper or another kid?

Spartak Moscow 3 - Rovers 0
    22/11/1995 - Champion League.
    After winning the league, Dalglish had left. The champions of England were a bit of a joke. Absolutely no defence of the title. Despite us having untold riches, the best striker in football. Broken multiple records siging the leagues best players. This was our time to shine.
    This game summed up our embarrassing venture into Europe. We got battered, we where truly shocking. Unprofessional, Le Saux & Batty had a fight. We where quite simply a joke. As we where for the majority of that season (bearing in mind how good we'd been in the years leading up to the title win)
    Unlimited money, one of the best sides around. Full of internationals. we paid the highest wages. And this god awful performance was not just a one off. but always stuck in my mind for being down right embarrassing.

Back then, we weren't owned by Venkys. We hadn't had an embargo for 2 years. We hadn't just sold our best players year on year prior to this. And we hadn't dropped into the 3rd tier of English football. we had everything, and where still pretty ****e.

Hence my complete shock to see our first game vrs Southend labelled as 'the very worst' .......when you consider what has happened in recent years at our club.

losing to Trelleborgs was also pathetic. for the same reasons as above.

I disagree TM cant motivte. They seemed motivated when they won 4 games on the bounce and only conceded 1 goal. That turned around the poor start everyone was panicking about. And they seemed motivated when they played Bradford, who hadn't lost at home for a season and a half. I do believe Sat was an off day, which happens to mostsides in world football. And can certainly to be expected when your actually not very good.

As pointed out above. When we had all the riches in the world, and the best players. They would often throw in piss poor displays. But now we are crap, to expect us to be great every week, is a joke.
    I still say we will go up either way.
    Last edited by champs95; 20-09-2017 at 11:36 AM.

For selfrighteous pontification you take the biscuit,Chumps. What right have you to tell people not to go to Ewood and stay away? Are you a Burnley troll in disguise?

You sound a very bitter old man so Ill leave the 45-line response to anyone of the thousands of Rovers supporters who share my sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcrompton1896 View Post
    For selfrighteous pontification you take the biscuit,Chumps. What right have you to tell people not to go to Ewood and stay away? Are you a Burnley troll in disguise?

You sound a very bitter old man so Ill leave the 45-line response to anyone of the thousands of Rovers supporters who share my sentiments.
    You clearly don't go Bob. So your response is null & void. You seem to only turn up if Rovers lose. But you think I'm a Burnley troll?! Ok fair enough. Like all your posts, it makes no sense.

Now Now lads behave yourselves ..lol

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Now Now lads behave yourselves ..lol

Worth a bump ....... I'm worried about Bob ......not seen or heard since Rovers last lost. I do hope he's ok? That can be the only reason he's not posting anymore. After being so vocal in the first few weeks.

#PrayforBob

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Worth a bump ....... I'm worried about Bob ......not seen or heard since Rovers last lost. I do hope he's ok? That can be the only reason he's not posting anymore. After being so vocal in the first few weeks.

#PrayforBob
    Sorry but I'm bumping this again. Writing off the club your support in Sept because of a few early results. Tut tut

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)