+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motson

I disagree, Motson has got to be in the top 5 and whilst I accept its a personal preference, his knowledge is second to none, he avoids irrelevant comments and his longevity is truly a great achievement, I will miss him.

I always enjoyed the 2 Henry's, Longhurst at golf and the soon to retire Blofeld at cricket on TMS. (Did they name the Bond villain after him??)

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Really disagree mac. Think Eddie Waring did rugby league a great disservice...made it a joke 'only for northern folk' sport imo. He was the ultimate 'professional Yorkshireman'. On the subject of commentators I really liked Eddie's mate, Stuart Hall, as far as radio football summary was concerned...but look what happened there!
    It was a bit before my time as a fan when Waring commented on RL, but I did like his wacky style for Its a knockout, he was much more suited to that.
    As for Stuart Hall his giggling right hand man, he was a guest on one of those ex-late night Tv sports phone ins in the late 90s, it was called Under the moon on Ch4 every Wensday night for about 2 hours. They liked people phoning in sloshed and swearing, and one bloke layed into Hall calling him a dirty old bas*d etc. Now look at whats happened, I wonder what hed be called now!.
    Motty has always got on my nerves because of his annoying high pitched voice, I did always prefer Barry Davies. Ive always like Martin Tyler as well because he used to do YTV before the days of Sky sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BaaLocks View Post
    Top five commentators - no need for further discussion, Rats can lock this one now.

1: Harry Carpenter
    2: Peter Alliss
    3: Sid Waddell
    4: Bill McLaren
    5: John Arlott (one for the ****agers)
    Well, I'll agree about Arlott and McClaren, even Harry Carpenter at a push, but didn't Sid Waddell commentate on darts? Thought we were talking about 'sports' commentators.

Arlott, Johnners, McClaren, Carpenter, Barry Davies for me. No fear of Rats locking it...no one's disagreeing with him.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 13-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Well, I'll agree about Arlott and McClaren, even Harry Carpenter at a push, but didn't Sid Waddell commentate on darts? Thought we were talking about 'sports' commentators.

Arlott, Johnners, McClaren, Carpenter, Barry Davies for me. No fear of Rats locking it...no one's disagreeing with him.
    My current faves are Ben Edwards (Ch4 f1), who I've been a fan of since the days of his US champcar efforts decades back, and Carlton Kirby who does Eurosport's road cycling commentary - laconic, slightly un-PC, finger on the pulse and with a great straight man in Sean Kelly.

didn't Sid Waddell commentate on darts? Thought we were talking about 'sports' commentators.
    R, seek out 'Murder On the Dartsboard' by Justin Irwin and you might change your mind. And if not, you might just have enjoyed the read.

Was never a fan of Motty. I thought Davies was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    R, seek out 'Murder On the Dartsboard' by Justin Irwin and you might change your mind. And if not, you might just have enjoyed the read.
    I see it's free on Kindle and I'm on holiday so why not? Didn't expect to be reading about fat blokes taking time off from drinking to throw 'arrows' just under eight feet...your reputation in terms of recommendations is at stake here AF so you'd better have meant it.

I see it's free on Kindle and I'm on holiday so why not? Didn't expect to be reading about fat blokes taking time off from drinking to throw 'arrows' just under eight feet...your reputation in terms of recommendations is at stake here AF so you'd better have meant it.
    I never joke about book recommendations, there's too much else in the world to have a laugh about. Now let me get back into my tome, The R4J Book Of 20/20 Hindsight

Always liked him but my 2 favourites are Gary Bloom and John Helms.
    You guys might not know much about them but they are the ones that we get out here in Asia. All the major tourneys like CL, Euros and WC. Helms did Bundesliga for the longest time.
    Memory of an elephant.
    Bloom will just so excited and it gets to you too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)