+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alternative

The Alternative

We are fortunate to have some intelligent people who post on this board so i will ask them the question.

What exactly, specifically is the alternative to ST right now?

This message board is chock full of comments saying he should leave immediately. So lets assume that is exactly what he did. He walks out the door tomorrow giving up his shares for nothing and thats it - he's gone. What is the immediate and medium term future?

Who is waiting in the wings to step in and what exactly do they offer?

I am not on here to defend ST it is abundantly clear that the last 2.7 years (since Feb 2014) he has presided over a disaster. Prior to that point he was doing a pretty decent job and I suspect was held in pretty high esteem by most within football for bringing down a crippling debt whilst putting a good team on the park. he made some judgement calls after that which have proved to be mistakes and have no doubt led us to where we are today. I don't hate him the way many on here seem to. i believe that he genuinely cares about the club and it must be horrific to feel responsible for the decline of a club he clearly cares about.

I think he has tried hard to support his managers. when he appointed RM the vast majority on here were supportive of the decision (although to read the forum now it appears most of you have forgotten that you supported that decision). He has provided RM with funds this year to put a decent team on the park and he has also secured funding to keep the club operating even though it is losing money. If he had just walked away who would have done that?

I believe that ST needs to go. BUT anyone coming in needs to have sufficient funds to cover any losses indefinitely and underwrite a transitional period to take us back to where a club of our fanbase and stature should be (realistically mid table SPL). I ask my fellow posters who is that person? I am hoping that some of you that are calling for ST to go have some information that I don't and are aware of who is ready to step into the breach. If there is nobody credible in the wings then calls for ST to go are pointless and we would be better supporting him to get us out of this mess until a suitable alternative can be identified.

thats my tuppenceworth - cue the bile.......

Interesting post. I agree with much of that.

We need someone to step up here so Thompson can leave, soon hopefully.

No matter who comes in they will need access to funds to cover loses while the ship is righted.

And no one in their right mind is going to come in and invest money in any form other than loans.

If we are lucky the loans will be interest free but I think it’s most likely there will be some interest accruing loans.

Either way we need to be prepared for the short and medium term debts to increase.

Why do I labour that point? Because we need to be prepared for the fact that no matter who is in charge the debt will go up.

This fact could end the honeymoon period for any new owner quite quickly. And if they can’t break down the operating loses pronto the debt will have to increase or sales will have to be made to cover the loses.

In an ideal world we need a full time, hands on, qualified Chief Exec as well as the current staffing structure.

It’s ***** the executive leadership knows what they are doing, how things need to be done and is properly motivated to deliver it. Something we have simply not had in ST.

No matter who comes in or doesn’t we need to be prepared for some debt to increase.

And any buyer needs to not only have the cash to buy out ST and Justine Mitchell, they will also need working capital to invest (most likely in form of loans) to cover loses.

The wrong owner (as we have seen) and it could get a lot worse before it gets better.

Only thing we fans can do is pray someone with the financial means and the business acumen decides they fancy a football club or get organised, united and try to mobilise some kind of significant fan presence in the running of the club.

Agree with your post future, hope some posters can supply answers as there is plenty hints that there are people waiting in the wings with the money to get us back where we belong. Personally I'm not too sure there is anyone , hope I'm wrong.

I think the manager's position is due for assessment at Christmas & the chairman's ownership will be resolved come May.
    The manager wants to right things by Christmas & the owner by the end of the season.
    I can't see us having either at the helm if we fail to get promoted this season.

So no pressure!

It's all about the money. Finding someone who is willing to invest gazillions in the club, the management staff and the players is probably nowhere on the horizon anytime soon.

The reality is we are where we are and nothing is going to change unless the above happens.

Not holding my breath!

Quote Originally Posted by USArab View Post
    It's all about the money. Finding someone who is willing to invest gazillions in the club, the management staff and the players is probably nowhere on the horizon anytime soon.

The reality is we are where we are and nothing is going to change unless the above happens.

Not holding my breath!
    Absolute nonsense that anyone taking over needs gazillions, this is kind of pish frustrates me beyond belief

Stephen Thompson has not pumped millions into dundee united quite the opposite is true

Anyone taking over needs to be more astute than Thompson mind you that's not difficult tbf and not take a six figure salary and employing someone else on a huge salary to do their job.

If Thompson had any clue he'd have Ray in for a meeting just now laying down the law and demanding a huge turn around in form to stop the crowds dwindling,.

It needs someone with enough money to buy Thompson out though?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    It needs someone with enough money to buy Thompson out though?
    And enough money, or access to funds, to cover operating losses in the event of no transfer sales. Be that 50k or 300k.

You’d have to expect they’d have business interests outside football and they’d therefore have to hire a competent CEO to run things full time.

Quote Originally Posted by arab_plumber View Post

If Thompson had any clue he'd have Ray in for a meeting just now laying down the law and demanding a huge turn around in form to stop the crowds dwindling,.
    Has been told he has 3 games to improve things. Wether that means the sack if not or a performance improvement plan i dont know

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)