+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley vs Derby

Whether we win or lose lads, Im always interested to see and hear the other side of the fence when it comes to a Barnsley v Derby match.

Hey Whiteram, I don't know you but I reckon you will get fed up of me on here pretty soon lol. I like that point though and I would also agree, why enter a competition with little or no interest in it to begin with. We all had that attitude a few years ago down in Lg One when it came to the old Associate Members cup (Johnstone's Paint trophy). But hey we stuck with it and treat it like it meant something, and we won it.
    It was our first ever win at Wembley and the memories will be there forever. Know what I mean!.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteram View Post
    I think you miss the point, what happened to the integrity of the sport, the competition? I don't think time has a bearing on winning a trophy after all winning the prem will live long in the memories of Fester fans, even if they never do it again its there in history forever and surely history is the foundation upon what a clubs built on?

A club is short changing its fans if it does not take seriously any competition it is playing in, I get the need to "rest" players, i mean poor darlings fancy having to play football more than once a week.

Oh well fans dont care so clubs dont care, what is the bleeding point, lets just focus on being mid table championship material which is what we are.
    The 'integrity' of the sport sadly disappeared with immoral players' salaries, stadia whose names change to something ever more ridiculous each season, advertising on shirts, absurdly unnecessary third kits and foreign owners who just treat clubs as a new toy.
    Clubs are short changing fans and I agree that Cup matches - or at least the first two or three - should be included in season tickets as they used to be.
    Times have changed though. Leicester's achievement was magnificent, because it was so recent and because they were up against the unlimited resources of Chelsea and Man.City etc, but I bet they rested a few in less important Cup competitions along the way.
    'Resting' players is nothing new. Leeds got in big trouble many years ago for doing it the other way round...they had a chance of Cup glory (FA or European - I can't remember) and, with nothing at stake in the league, played a weakened side.
    Put it this way...supposing - yes I know it may seem unlikely - that in five months time we've got a massive league match coming up...the chance to go top or cement a place in the top six...but three days earlier we're playing Exeter away in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Wouldn't you be tempted to 'rest' a few in such circumstances...particularly crucial players who may be carrying a knock?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    The 'integrity' of the sport sadly disappeared with immoral players' salaries, stadia whose names change to something ever more ridiculous each season, advertising on shirts, absurdly unnecessary third kits and foreign owners who just treat clubs as a new toy.
    Clubs are short changing fans and I agree that Cup matches - or at least the first two or three - should be included in season tickets as they used to be.
    Times have changed though. Leicester's achievement was magnificent, because it was so recent and because they were up against the unlimited resources of Chelsea and Man.City etc, but I bet they rested a few in less important Cup competitions along the way.
    'Resting' players is nothing new. Leeds got in big trouble many years ago for doing it the other way round...they had a chance of Cup glory (FA or European - I can't remember) and, with nothing at stake in the league, played a weakened side.
    Put it this way...supposing - yes I know it may seem unlikely - that in five months time we've got a massive league match coming up...the chance to go top or cement a place in the top six...but three days earlier we're playing Exeter away in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Wouldn't you be tempted to 'rest' a few in such circumstances...particularly crucial players who may be carrying a knock?
    It was a European Cup tie R, the so-called 'Battle Of Britain' against Celtic. Leeds fielded eleven 'ringers' against Derby the weekend before, We won 4-1, they got a (for the time) big fine, and Revie gave Cloughie another reason to hate him.
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 14-09-2017 at 07:43 AM.

[QUOTE=ramAnag;38652675]The 'integrity' of the sport sadly disappeared with immoral players' salaries, stadia whose names change to something ever more ridiculous each season, advertising on shirts, absurdly unnecessary third kits and foreign owners who just treat clubs as a new toy.
    Put it this way...supposing - yes I know it may seem unlikely - that in five months time we've got a massive league match coming up...the chance to go top or cement a place in the top six...but three days earlier we're playing Exeter away in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Wouldn't you be tempted to 'rest' a few in such circumstances...particularly crucial players who may be carrying a knock?[/QUOTE

Non of those apply at the moment and even then if we had cemented a place in the top 6 why would we need to change the whole squad?

Take a look at Arsenals starting XI tonight and consider how seriously tgey are taking the Europa league.

Fans are getting short changed no doubt about it but the fact is that managers prioritise competitions in accordance of the ultimate prize.

For sides like us the priority aim is promotion.

PL sides tend to use 2 different teams in a season one for the PL and one for cup competitions now they usually do that because one they have big enough squads to do that and two because they have better youth development and can rely on them to get the job done and three, they have a strong squad overall to change the team around without having to worry about fatigue and injuries.

Do we have all that qualifications to experiment and take those opportunities in competitions no because we are certainly weak in the midfield area and our youth system is not showing enough potential to trouble our starting 11 like was shown on Tuesday night against Barnsley, so despite putting out a weaker side in a potential crucial match where Wembley was at stake and yes we will likely to lose in the next round but at the end of the day, fans and the club would benefit from it on having more experience on the big stages and we would of had the chance to make up for the Wembley calamity against QPR and I'm sure that the boys would be jacked up and ready to go all out against Spurs and hit them were it hurts the most.

I don't know how much we'll make out of this tie but its definitely one to look forward to, and we've got a chance of causing an upset.
    The incentive of playing at Wembley in the next round was there for both teams the other night, and I can't understand Rowett making so many changes. Surely a decent little cup run wouldn't spoil your hopes of promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I don't know how much we'll make out of this tie but its definitely one to look forward to, and we've got a chance of causing an upset.
    The incentive of playing at Wembley in the next round was there for both teams the other night, and I can't understand Rowett making so many changes. Surely a decent little cup run wouldn't spoil your hopes of promotion.
    When we go out of the cup the same message comes out blah, blah, blah it's just another cup competition nothing special and we need to concentrate on the league but it would be totally different if we had won the game plus the mind boggles that the same occurrences keep repeating itself and if you have that sort of mental attitude towards games then your club is not going to go anywhere anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    When we go out of the cup the same message comes out blah, blah, blah it's just another cup competition nothing special and we need to concentrate on the league but it would be totally different if we had won the game plus the mind boggles that the same occurrences keep repeating itself and if you have that sort of mental attitude towards games then your club is not going to go anywhere anytime soon.
    We do it every year as well when we go out of the Lg cup at an early stage, its the league that counts and this is only a micky mouse cup anyway etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    We do it every year as well when we go out of the Lg cup at an early stage, its the league that counts and this is only a micky mouse cup anyway etc.
    Both of them count Acido you in the competition until the end, you fight for it until the end, you have the mental attitude to win until the end and if you have none of that and just think about one competition then the other you might as well forget about thinking of winning anything and just quit while your ahead.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)