+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Marks out of ten

Marks out of ten

Collin 7. Three clean sheets in a row, caught crosses, anticipated , distribution decent.

Tootle 8 MOTM solid, overlapped, stopped their left back from being an attacking option. All round good game.

Brisley 7 Error free, unspectacular . How long since we've had one of those kind of players at centre half.

Duffy 7 Holds his own in a solid pairing.

Dickenson 6.5 Loved his lung busting overlap second half, shame about the cross ,but his effort and effectiveness was great to see.

Hawkridge . 7 Worked like a dog, overlapped well with Tootle and helped by ceaselessly tracking back.

Milsom 7. First start but you wouldn't know it. Slotted in very well.

Yates 7.5 He's becoming a cult hero, absolute monster for a nine**** year old. His shin bones must be made of iron. Bone hard midfielder.

Alessandro 7. He should have scored one tonight, took too long to get his shots off, but that's being harsh. He bothered Swindon all night and was a contender for MOTM for me.

Stead. 7. Played the target man role, put himself about, won the penalty and scored the winner. I'm pleased that he's got a team of willing workers around him after his last two seasons of selfless work , joining a club that was a shambles at the end of a good career . Now he's being supported on the pitch and they're all meeting his professional standard.

Forte 7 Like the rest of the team, he ran his legs off and offered us an out ball into the channels. Second half he occupied Swindon almost single handedly when we went deep.

Subs
    Not on for long, but all knew what their job was.

Nolan 9. To make five changes to a winning team for a match against harder opposition was brave. To rest your best two players ( Hewitt and Jones ) and your top scorer from that team braver still.
    To then get that team to play well, keep a clean sheet ....and win was pretty inspired.

I'm absolutely loving this teams work ethic and purpose. They deserve to do well , they're making their own luck.
    I do worry that we're not scoring enough from open play when on top and really hope that this isn't a false dawn because it feels like we're building something here.

A fair assessment. MOM me was Hawkridge. The one you're miles off on is Duffy. To score him the same as the resolute understated and unruffled Brisley is an injustice. He is weak, piss poor in the air and cannot read the game. He's the same dreadful player he was last season but with a far more competent partner in Brisley than Hollis and a team who's shape and work ethic is vastly improved under Nolan. In fact the only question mark for me over Nolan is handing him the captaincy and a starting position.

Duffy mistimed one header back in to his own box, other than that I didn't see him put a foot wrong?!
    You don't keep as many clean sheets as we have by having a player as bad as you claim Duffy is!

Largely agree with the OP, but again it's the collective that was the big thing - well organised and intensive work throughout the team throughout.

We ensured a very good team who'd won all their league away games (and won 3-0 at Luton on Saturday) didn't have a chance til the 92nd minute. An outstanding team display.

Collin - 6 - Started the season a different player, but didn't have a save to make.

Tootle - 7 - Good outlet going forward, particularly first half and solid defensively throughout.
    Duffy - 6.5 - The odd nervy moment/bad decision (his policy of trying to win free kicks in the air is risky to say the least), but generally ok.
    Brisley - 8 - His contribution in every game so far won't make many highlights reels, but he is exactly what we've needed for a long time. Strong, aerially dominant and consistent. A huge factor in the defensive improvements.
    Dickinson - 8 - Best game he's had in a Notts shirt. One 50/50 2nd half a particular highlight. Surely can't be a better back-up LB in the division.

Hawkridge - 7 - Endless work rate and enthusiasm. An astute signing.
    Yates - 8 - Can someone check his birth certificate? Midfield enforcer in L2 at 19; his sort of game. Like Brisley, does a lot of the things that go unnoticed but what makes this team so hard to beat.
    Milsom - 7 - Deserved a start and worked tirelessly to limit Swindon's time on the ball.
    Alessandra- 8 - Another who grabbed his opportunity. Always creative and probing but also hugely willing defensively.

Stead - 6.5 - Worked hard and took the penalty well. Touch a bit off at times.
    Forte - 7.5 - Made such a difference having someone with pace who could turn them around. A major threat throughout and unlucky not to score with an excellent header. Has to start every game on current form.

Grant - 7 - Class act. Looked above it even in this game.
    Hewitt & Smith - N/A.

What a selection headache Nolan has for Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Duffy mistimed one header back in to his own box, other than that I didn't see him put a foot wrong?!
    You don't keep as many clean sheets as we have by having a player as bad as you claim Duffy is!
    I agree I'm not a big Duffy fan but I don't let that cloud my judgement on a match to match basis, he had a solid game last night.
    I agree with the O/Ps marks except I would swap Tootle for Allesandro for MoM.

Quote Originally Posted by LesBradd4England View Post
    A fair assessment. MOM me was Hawkridge. The one you're miles off on is Duffy. To score him the same as the resolute understated and unruffled Brisley is an injustice. He is weak, piss poor in the air and cannot read the game. He's the same dreadful player he was last season but with a far more competent partner in Brisley than Hollis and a team who's shape and work ethic is vastly improved under Nolan. In fact the only question mark for me over Nolan is handing him the captaincy and a starting position.
    I couldn't disagree with you more of both points. I thought Duffy was solid and effective and had a decent game. I also thought Hawkridge wasn't anywhere near as good as he has been in recent games.

For me MOTM would have been a toss up between Yates and Alessandra

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Duffy seems to be doing the same things in most matches (falling backwards or not jumping when being challening for headers,) I just don't feel confident with his strange way of defending, it's a good job we have Brisley along side of him who heads and challengers for the ball correctly and who for me is Nolans best signing.

10/10 for effort last night...
    Great battling performance.
    Just thought Yates was outstanding and for me "mom".
    Dickinson,tootle put a claim for a start Saturday.
    In fact all those that came in the side did themselves no harm at all...
    And I must also say...
    A great atmosphere last night...
    Well done all those associated with Notts county..
    We really are doing our best to turn that corner.
    Thankyou