+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cashless turnstiles

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Stop talking empty! How the hell can starting your PC, logging on, opening your browser, logging on to the OS, picking your seat, check out, card entry, starting your printer etc etc...... be easier than handing over £xx at the turnstile?
    Kin ell is your PC steam powered and you've got to get it up to working temperature?

To be fair, I've not used a PC at home for about 5 years, I buy tickets on my phone or iPad and the whole thing takes literally about a minute. I rarely carry cash on me so that is indeed easier than having to go to the cash machine.

Think maybe there's a bit of a generational issue here, so the club do need to make sure all ages are catered for.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Kin ell is your PC steam powered and you've got to get it up to working temperature?

To be fair, I've not used a PC at home for about 5 years, I buy tickets on my phone or iPad and the whole thing takes literally about a minute. I rarely carry cash on me so that is indeed easier than having to go to the cash machine.

Think maybe there's a bit of a generational issue here, so the club do need to make sure all ages are catered for.
    I very rarely use cash these days and, to be honest, find it much more convenient to buy on the phone and have the barcode scanned at Meadow Lane than mess about looking for cash machines and trying to park to use them etc. Just my 2p worth! I reckon contactless payment at the turnstile would be a great facility too. I also no longer have a printer as I don't ever seem to need one these days.

I must start keeping some cash at home though, as several times recently I've fancied a trip to our local here in the village where I live for a couple of pints and a game of darts... then remembered it is cash only. I therefore have to drive 4 miles each way to use a cash machine in order to nip out for a pint 500 yards away. Cash is still needed for some things it seems
    Last edited by SwalePie; 14-09-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    I was pretty critical of this at the time. Mostly because the website purchasing was diabolical. That has improved.

It's still a pain, and definitely means you have to take your decision to attend much earlier (I don't have a printer at home) which does put off some of our party.

So in short, is it the end of the world, no.

Have to say though, if the dross we've been used to was still being served up I suspect the greater aggravation (it is more of a pain, that's indisputable) would have more of an effect.

I don't think anyone should consider valid criticism of the system to be moaning though.

Has only stopped me going on one occasion thus far (ability to go was known too late).

But on the flip side, on another occasion it meant I bought a ticket for a game which I ended up not being able to attend...
    You don't need a printer just click & collect at the collection point by the shop.

Its made getting into the ground much quicker than it was with cash and you can now enter through any turnstile.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I very rarely use cash these days and, to be honest, find it much more convenient to buy on the phone and have the barcode scanned at Meadow Lane than mess about looking for cash machines and trying to park to use them etc. Just my 2p worth! I reckon contactless payment at the turnstile would be a great facility too. I also no longer have a printer as I don't ever seem to need one these days.
    It's a massive assumption that everyone has a smart phone though. Given the age of our fanbase, I doubt if more than half have. And I don't, but I do have a printer, which may or may not have ink in it.

The best solution by far is contactless payment, which is the norm pretty much everywhere these days.

You still have to take your decision to attend earlier chap. Didn't know about the collection point though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    You still have to take your decision to attend earlier chap. Didn't know about the collection point though. Thanks.
    Almost every club in the northwest I have visited has had cashless turnstiles for many years. Blackpool have had it since at least 2005 and Fleetwood had it when they were non-league. Change always takes a bit of getting used to but Notts have been well behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Judging by this thread the vast majority see this as no inconvenience(although I cannot see how it can be "easier" than paying cash) & most of us have STs anyway, but for some, the last minute deciders, the should I shouldn't I bother? & potential new fans who turn up with cash it obviously is. I don't mind myself but still cannot understand the advantage of having a Kiosk where you can pay cash for a ticket that you then have to produce at the turnstile, why not just open one cash turnstile for each stand & do away with the middle man?
    Exactly, you have to queue and then hand over cash.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Exactly, you have to queue and then hand over cash.
    I expect the cash kiosk is an interim measure on the way to going fully cashless with electronic turnstiles, which is becoming the norm. The advantages of which are reduced fraud risk, reduced bank charges and reduced wage bill.

Quote Originally Posted by tripie View Post
    Change always takes a bit of getting used to but Notts have been well behind the times.
    Not compared to Mansfield, many Stags fans still regularly pay with 10 bob notes.

Quote Originally Posted by tripie View Post
    I expect the cash kiosk is an interim measure on the way to going fully cashless with electronic turnstiles, which is becoming the norm. The advantages of which are reduced fraud risk, reduced bank charges and reduced wage bill.
    You are probably correct but until it happens why not retain a cash turnstile? I am not at all sure about the "reduced fraud risk" as I don't know of anyone who pays full price at Mansfield & if you are going to employ enough staff to check every ticket there will be very little in the way of a "reduced wage bill", any business can set up an account that doesn't charge for cash deposits & unless we go completely cash free at our catering outlets I would be very surprised if we haven't got this facility.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast