+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: PSG Must be shaking in their boots....

  1. #1

    PSG Must be shaking in their boots....

    Having watched highlight of those two home draws with Brentford and Bristol City by our local soon to be European super powers.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Having watched highlight of those two home draws with Brentford and Bristol City by our local soon to be European super powers.
    I've heard a bit of WM's football phone in this week and I've been left wondering why they don't just hand the dings the title now as it's a foregone conclusion according to many.

    One caller reckoned that if they played us 10 times that they would win all 10. Another reckoned they would not lose a match all season whilst another called in to say that Conor Coady was as good as Franz Beckenbauer. Despite being very early days, seems they never learn.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I've heard a bit of WM's football phone in this week and I've been left wondering why they don't just hand the dings the title now as it's a foregone conclusion according to many.

    One caller reckoned that if they played us 10 times that they would win all 10. Another reckoned they would not lose a match all season whilst another called in to say that Conor Coady was as good as Franz Beckenbauer. Despite being very early days, seems they never learn.
    The phone in is a joke I listen on the way home. Alan the Seal.... yeh. Who pauses after every sentence....yeh. To say the word yeh.......yeh.
    As far as the other lot go they're a bit like a distant relative who you didn't get on with and haven't seen for a while. Desperately trying to contact you to keep the arguement going. In reality as much as they hate us I see them as irrelevant.

  4. #4
    It's their big anniversary today, 21 years ago. I know its hard to remember, they won a match at the Albion . A copy of the match is can be found on betamax. Dvd's wasn't out yet. They got a bit of luck from the linesman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgNhlDt7N6U

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I've heard a bit of WM's football phone in this week and I've been left wondering why they don't just hand the dings the title now as it's a foregone conclusion according to many.

    One caller reckoned that if they played us 10 times that they would win all 10. Another reckoned they would not lose a match all season whilst another called in to say that Conor Coady was as good as Franz Beckenbauer. Despite being very early days, seems they never learn.
    I listen to it every night and heard this p rick who said we'd get beaten 10 out of 10 times.

    It would be interesting to know how many years it has actually been, if ever, that they beat us 10 in row, given the fact they haven't beaten us in many young fan's lifetime.

  6. #6
    They have always been the same, in the 60's they used to think Wagstaffe was better than George Best.
    They said they were the best team in the world in the 50's, despite Real Madrid winning the EC 5 times on the trot and Man Utd winning the league 3 times with a load of kids, and also appearing in a couple of Cup finals as well as a EC semi.
    I am 62 and in my lifetime i have never seen them as anything other than average, and in recent times they couldn't manage those dizzy heights.
    In summary,a club that has spent a lot of time in the lower leagues, and live off the the folk tales of the only good side they ever had.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    They have always been the same, in the 60's they used to think Wagstaffe was better than George Best.
    They said they were the best team in the world in the 50's, despite Real Madrid winning the EC 5 times on the trot and Man Utd winning the league 3 times with a load of kids, and also appearing in a couple of Cup finals as well as a EC semi.
    I am 62 and in my lifetime i have never seen them as anything other than average, and in recent times they couldn't manage those dizzy heights.
    In summary,a club that has spent a lot of time in the lower leagues, and live off the the folk tales of the only good side they ever had.
    Good, accurate summary.
    I'm 48 and I asked a Wolves supporter the other day, of a similar age . In our lifetime What truly great players he has seen play for his club. You know like the likes of Bomber, Cunningham, Robson. His reply was Bull, Robbie Keane and get this Dennis Irwin. His words not mine.
    Strange how the rivalry was never that fierce. I can only remember escalating when they started climbing the leagues. As I said earlier for most of my life they have been irrelevant. Never really had the bragging rites.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    Good, accurate summary.
    I'm 48 and I asked a Wolves supporter the other day, of a similar age . In our lifetime What truly great players he has seen play for his club. You know like the likes of Bomber, Cunningham, Robson. His reply was Bull, Robbie Keane and get this Dennis Irwin. His words not mine.
    Strange how the rivalry was never that fierce. I can only remember escalating when they started climbing the leagues. As I said earlier for most of my life they have been irrelevant. Never really had the bragging rites.
    Harsh everyone but true.

    Been watching football since the early 60's and Wolves have spent the majority of that time in the lower leagues and so it is only natural I see where they are now as their natural habitat.
    Wouldn't mind seeing them back playing us, we might need the points.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I've heard a bit of WM's football phone in this week and I've been left wondering why they don't just hand the dings the title now as it's a foregone conclusion according to many.

    One caller reckoned that if they played us 10 times that they would win all 10. Another reckoned they would not lose a match all season whilst another called in to say that Conor Coady was as good as Franz Beckenbauer. Despite being very early days, seems they never learn.
    Another classic call on WM tonight from a Dingle who said it was "ridiculous" to suggest they'd win all ten matches against us,he reckoned they'd win five and draw five!!

    Where do they find these Cretins?

    It'd be so easy for us to say we'd beat them every time but I don't think we would,they have some decent lower league players now and would surely be better than their 1-5 vintage.

    Out of ten matches against them I'd expect to win five,draw three and lose a couple because that's the nature of Derby matches.

    As for "Yer know what I mean Paul Yeh" Alan who rings in!

    What an absolute a r s e clown of a bloke,he wanted Bruce and now he wants him out!

    Grealish was to be their saviour and now he's a waste of space.

    I spoke with Eddie who rings into WM about Villa Alan ( yeh ) at a Stour match a couple of seasons ago and Eddie had met Al and he told me he was a fat ginger bloke with a face like a beetroot.

    It felt like Eddie was telling me something I already knew!

  10. #10
    Heh heh,I can think of a certain poster who must be frothing at the mouth because he can't join in this thread lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West bromwich
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Having watched highlight of those two home draws with Brentford and Bristol City by our local soon to be European super powers.
    No joke no wind up this as true as I sit here. 2wolves fans in my misses office,not kids either. Grown men.have backed the wolves to win the championship and fa cup this season at 33/1.she says when they were discussing the loss against Cardiff, they both agreed the way they played the wolves really won.that could only come out of their mouths.

  12. #12
    I think the current crop of their supporters are only continuing the misguided view of their side that so many have had before them. That WM program seems to throw these people up all too frequently. I've never understood as with Villa fans this 'biggest club' thing. The only thing you get by being a 'bigger club' in the lower reaches is bigger debts. I'm pretty sure they used to refer to themselves as 'the most famous club in the world' which I believe came from when Billy Wright was the captain in the 50's. This was despite Real winning the first 5 European Cup competitions from the mid 50's onwards. Nearly 40 matches to go and many already consider the title won. Be interesting to see how the Portugese players adapt to the English winter. Would be so funny if they did lead the pack prior to self destructing as they did when they blew a 13 point lead after many including the players thought it was job done.

  13. #13
    I am older than many of the posters on this board and in fairness the Wolves side of the late fifties and early sixties was one of the best sides in the country. However, as many of you point out, that was as good as it got. Over the past thirty to forty years they have been ordinary at best and at one point nearly went out of existence. Their Premier League status has been very short lived and I do feel that they have a higher opinion of themselves as a club than their results merit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •