+ Visit Rotherham United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Warney wins us over...surely

  1. #21
    Warne's appointment didn't trouble me like it did some. The cheap option yes, but probably the right option after a series of failures. I think he's at the right level to learn his role. He has worked for Robins, Moore, Evans, Warnock amongst others, and will surely have picked things up from them, as well as having his own methods. Maybe he wasn't the first choice of many, but no one wants him to fail. We're playing the best football we've played for years, scoring loads of goals and getting a taste for winning again. I didn't need winning over, I'm just enjoying being a Miller again. So cheers Warney, keep it up!

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    I was concerned about appointing Warne permanently due to the way losing on a regular basis could have been habit forming and a new broom would have, hopefully, remedied that. However my fears now seem to have been disproved.

    The 2 areas for concern are the defence, I thought Ihiekwe was shocking last night, and substitutions making no effect on the game, Bury excepted.

    If I was PW I would be knocking on Tonys door ever day until Moore and Towell had been signed and make looking for 2 good central defenders the top priority.
    Agree that Ihiekwe wasn't at the starting line last night but so were a few more until about 15-20 minutes. For me Ihiekwe has been one of the stand out contenders so far.

    His game against Portsmouth and Bury were very commendable so we can forgive him for a one off last night. I'm sure someone will have had a word in his ear after the match irrespective of the final result. A good proposition who will only get better as time passes.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by sCORaFU View Post
    Great post Animal. Could not agree more. Its great that both clubs have someone who actually care about their club and know the type of football the fans like. Mistakes will be made because they are human beings, but as you indicate both are learning and from my point of view I would sat fast.
    It's no coincidence that the blunts have woken up under Wider either after some very lean times in league one

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14,390
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's no coincidence that the blunts have woken up under Wider either after some very lean times in league one
    Not took much notice of championship now we aren't there , how's things at Barnsley? Just looked at table and see you're 16th

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's no coincidence that the blunts have woken up under Wider either after some very lean times in league one
    And all 3 managers come across really well when interviewed. They know what makes the club tick and all demand hard work and commitment to the cause.

    Its also no coincidence that TS appointed Warney because he has stated that Barnsley are the prototype he is using for Rotherham to get back to the championship.

    Hope you do well this season.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Warne's appointment didn't trouble me like it did some. The cheap option yes, but probably the right option after a series of failures. I think he's at the right level to learn his role. He has worked for Robins, Moore, Evans, Warnock amongst others, and will surely have picked things up from them, as well as having his own methods. Maybe he wasn't the first choice of many, but no one wants him to fail. We're playing the best football we've played for years, scoring loads of goals and getting a taste for winning again. I didn't need winning over, I'm just enjoying being a Miller again. So cheers Warney, keep it up!
    What he ^^^ said.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Not took much notice of championship now we aren't there , how's things at Barnsley? Just looked at table and see you're 16th
    Well boring it isn't I can tell you that millertop .

    On the field the new team after a shaky start look to be settling down , far from the finished article but for 30 minutes last night they had Derby chasing shadows with some sublime football .

    Villa at home on saturday evening and live on Sky .

    Wembley on tuesday night to take on Spurs in the league cup .

    The takeover by a group of billionaires is set to go through any day now .

    You know just the usual stuff .


    :-) :-) :-) :-)

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14,390
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well boring it isn't I can tell you that millertop .

    On the field the new team after a shaky start look to be settling down , far from the finished article but for 30 minutes last night they had Derby chasing shadows with some sublime football .

    Villa at home on saturday evening and live on Sky .

    Wembley on tuesday night to take on Spurs in the league cup .

    The takeover by a group of billionaires is set to go through any day now .

    You know just the usual stuff .


    :-) :-) :-) :-)
    Oh yes someone mentioned Wembley on here , lucky gits

  9. #29
    I was a little wary when we appointed Warne because I did wonder if that was TS throwing in the towel. But then I thought there was some logic to it after we had appointed the unproven but promising manager with no connection to the club (Stubbs) followed by the proven manager also with no connection to the club (Jackett). Both were disaster appointments for various reasons (they've been done to death so lets leave the crust on top of that particular sewage bed).

    We needed someone we could trust to give it everything and put RUFC first, Warne fitted that bill. Now he's in control in a new season with his own signings he's proving to be a good appointment. Still learning but if we are going to have an unproven inexperienced guy learn his managerial trade at our club then I want it to be someone who lives and breathes Rotherham United.

    Paul Warne is that guy. If we give him a chance then in a few years I think the club will have put down some good foundations to finally progress beyond good L1 side with the odd season of Championship cannon fodder thrown in.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJohn View Post
    I was a little wary when we appointed Warne because I did wonder if that was TS throwing in the towel. But then I thought there was some logic to it after we had appointed the unproven but promising manager with no connection to the club (Stubbs) followed by the proven manager also with no connection to the club (Jackett). Both were disaster appointments for various reasons (they've been done to death so lets leave the crust on top of that particular sewage bed).

    We needed someone we could trust to give it everything and put RUFC first, Warne fitted that bill. Now he's in control in a new season with his own signings he's proving to be a good appointment. Still learning but if we are going to have an unproven inexperienced guy learn his managerial trade at our club then I want it to be someone who lives and breathes Rotherham United.

    Paul Warne is that guy. If we give him a chance then in a few years I think the club will have put down some good foundations to finally progress beyond good L1 side with the odd season of Championship cannon fodder thrown in.
    Happened with Ronnie when he was given time so why not?

    I believe PW was LBJ's first choice for the job but he just couldn't find the right words to explain it

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Happened with Ronnie when he was given time so why not?

    I believe PW was LBJ's first choice for the job but he just couldn't find the right words to explain it
    Maybe cos he 'stubbed' his words

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Happened with Ronnie when he was given time so why not?

    I believe PW was LBJ's first choice for the job but he just couldn't find the right words to explain it
    The other simularity between Warne and Ronnie are their numbeer twos. Both brought in ex players who they trust. The lot we have now have a good playing history and friendship between them.

    Warne won't do what Ronnie did because we will won't go down. If he di do a double promotion we'll be int Prem and none of us want that!

  13. #33
    Still too early to decide on Warney, though definitely more hopeful signs. I'm happy to settle for nearer on points to top 6 than bottom 4 this season, but signs we could do better. Let's not get carried away or really doom and gloom if we lose a couple.

  14. #34
    Way too early to judge him imo. We leak goals and will continue to do so against any half decent team. He has made an ok start but I'm looking forward to seeing the defence against Bradford. Unlike Kempo, I am not for changing just yet

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    934
    I think guy down road hit nail on the head about defence we need a defensive coach. Maybe that's why brecks is trying to track down Marvin Bryan

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    Way too early to judge him imo. We leak goals and will continue to do so against any half decent team. He has made an ok start but I'm looking forward to seeing the defence against Bradford. Unlike Kempo, I am not for changing just yet
    You are right Pete it is way too early. In thruth the best time to truly judge a manager is when their stewardship is over.

    However, it is a bit churlish to criticsise the people who are starting to warm to Warney because there were plenty who judged him on the day he was apponted and that was waaaaaaaaaaaay too early.

    I also agree that the defence can be breached and that tomorrow will be a massuve test. But generally, against Walsall and Bury, apart from conceding 3, there weren't any other chances offered up by the defence. In fact what did the new goalie have to do?

    keep the faith UTM.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    I think guy down road hit nail on the head about defence we need a defensive coach. Maybe that's why brecks is trying to track down Marvin Bryan
    Before kick off on Tuesday we were saying we should nick Ian Sharps from Walsall for our defensive coach. After half an hour we'd changed our minds 😊

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Before kick off on Tuesday we were saying we should nick Ian Sharps from Walsall for our defensive coach. After half an hour we'd changed our minds ��

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •