+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .. You can't blame the mags for obsessing about Sunderland ..

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    Mmmm.... I think obsession would be a thread on your neighbours manager totalling almost 300 pages ohhh wait a minute thats on RTG isnt it or maybe a thread on your neighbours match when they are in a higher league! As for 57 years I think your maths is poor as we won the Fairs Cup in 1969, 47 years ago and the FA Cup was 1955, 62 years ago. I don't want to get into the Fairs Cup issue, as I know Sland fans think it was a nothing cup but I refer you to Barcelona's honours below (one of the top 3 clubs in the world) and they have their 3 Fairs Cups alongside Champions League, Cup Winners Cups and LA Liga's. Arsenal are the same with their honours list.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/history/honours
    .. The Fair's cup is hardily an achievement ffs .. Sunderland have more 1st, 2nd & 3rd Top Flight finishes. There was no Euro competitions back then. You are still living off the back of the Keegan era and your 15 minutes of fame. I remember when you were averaging about 16,000. You're not even in the top three United's ..

.. You've won nowt for 56 years man .. Yeh! ****ing massive club like! ..

Quote Originally Posted by andyj73 View Post
    .. The Fair's cup is hardily an achievement ffs .. Sunderland have more 1st, 2nd & 3rd Top Flight finishes. There was no Euro competitions back then. You are still living off the back of the Keegan era and your 15 minutes of fame. I remember when you were averaging about 16,000. You're not even in the top three United's ..

Yes one you have over us is that you were once 3RD DIVISION CHAMPIONS. WHOOPEE

And although you have also won the DURHAM SENIOR CUP a few times you have also been runners up on three occasions.
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 14-09-2017 at 12:02 PM.

.. I mean, when you have won nowt for 57 years and not likely to win out in the future, you have to do something to keep convincing yourselves that you are a big club ..
    Anything to divert attention from the plight of the unwashed.Keep it up Byker man you're doing a good job.
    From 'the prefect'.

Can we talk about now (and pick up just after where you predicted our loss to Swansea)?

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Can we talk about now (and pick up just after where you predicted our loss to Swansea)?
    Nice one and very apt. I hope you are avidly reading this Andy.

Of course it wasn't. We only beat Feyenoord who went on to win the European cup the following year! The only reason you say it was hardly an achievement is that your team have only played a couple of games in Europe, even Boro have played more. Its laughable that you are arguing that Barcelona and Arsenal are acknowledging it in their honours, Arsenal have even got it recognised on the trophies that run around the top of the first tier at the Emirates.

The reason there was no european competition when you had those finishes was because it was 90+ years ago FFS. There wouldn't have even been TV.

No one is saying we are a massive club, but you lot obviously think we are as you tend to obsess about us so much. Has that thread about rafa passed the 300 page mark yet?

Keegan era and 15mins of fame? I'm sure if we go back to 1973 when u won your last cup that we had won more trophies than u

And u would of loved the keegan era and the sir bobby era amazing times that really was a very sad time to be a Mackem

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    NUFC

FA Cup runners up 98 and 99, FA Cup semi finalists 2000 and 2006, UEFA Cup semi finalists 2004
    Champions league 2 seasons plus champions league qualifier plus europa league quarter final.

153 European games vs 4 European games?

Quote Originally Posted by Nufc204mag View Post
    the keegan era and the sir bobby era amazing times that really was a very sad time to be a Mackem
    For clubs like ours, success is all relative. In reality, for most clubs that's the case. There are only 4 trophies each season so almost every club will be disappointed if winning stuff was the be all and the end all.

So, success has to be measured differently, whether that be competing well near the top of the league, having a decent cup run, playing exciting football, memorable victories against 'bigger' clubs or your local rivals,etc. Success for the mackems is stuff like the 6 in a row and if we had done that, we would be rightly taking the piss out of them (although not, imo, to the extent that they do-we had their lives for a long time before that and didn't indulge in half the shtte they do but, hey ho..) so that's just something we have to take on the chin.

For us, the Keegan-and to a lesser extent-the Sir Bobby eras were our taste of success and they were magical times, particularly the Keegan era. Would I swap those times for 6 in a row? Would i shite...some incredible memories-some of the games, some of the players...man, it was incredible to be a part of it.

Who knows what could happen if Ashley backed Rafa properly-sadly, we'll probably never know; plus, if you'd said to the folk coming away from our Fairs Cup win that we wouldn't win anything again until at least 2018 (and counting after that...) or to the folk who saw us win 3 FA cups in the 50's, they'd have said 'nah, course we will'. So, we have to look at success in other ways. And you have to have hope that real success will come our way again.

There's always hope.
    Last edited by Zippity; 15-09-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: cos I'm ****e a typing fast

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    For clubs like ours, success is all relative. In reality, for most clubs that's the case. There are only 4 trophies each season so almost every club will be disappointed if winning stuff was the be all and the end all.

So, success has to be measured differently, whether that be competing well near the top of the league, having a decent cup run, playing exciting football, memorable victories against 'bigger' clubs or your local rivals,etc. Success for the mackems is stuff like the 6 in a row and if we had done that, we would be rightly taking the piss out of them (although not, imo, to the extent that they do-we had their lives for a long time before that and didn't indulge in half the shtte they do but, hey ho..) so that's just something we have to take on the chin.

For us, the Keegan-and to a lesser extent-the Sir Bobby eras were our taste of success and they were magical times, particularly the Keegan era. Would I swap those times for 6 in a row? Would i shite...some incredible memories-some of the games, some of the players...man, it was incredible to be a part of it.

Who knows what could happen if Ashley backed Rafa properly-sadly, we'll probably never know; plus, if you'd said to the folk coming away from our Fairs Cup win that we wouldn't win anything again until at least 2018 (and counting after that...) or to the folk who saw us win 3 FA cups in the 50's, they'd have said 'nah, course we will'. So, we have to look at success in other ways. And you have to have hope that real success will come our way again.

There's always hope.
    We won them 5 in a row twice but didn't keep going on about it. Your right about them as in winning us is succes or finishing above us bc that's all they care about, I've said this before but I will say it again was about 3 year ago Mackem fans on sky sports saying Idc if we go down bc we beat the mags. And Jeff said to Merson that's about sad if that's all they care about winning Newcastle and I wouldn't swap 20 games in a row against them for the times we had

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)