+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Championship attendances

Championship attendances

Last season we averaged 51,106 for the 23 home matches.

There were six other clubs averaging over 25,000 which I would imagine for most of them was over 75/80% capacity.

You can add to these averages quite a lot of those cubs below the top seven with smaller grounds reaching over the 75/80%

So where does that leave Sunderland whose supporters feel they should be in the big league.

http://www.worldfootball.net/attenda...p-2016-2017/1/

In all fairness to all...all clubs who are one city clubs in large populated cities will expect they should be playing in the big league.

Leeds United fans expect it.....but have been pacified.
    Both Sheffield clubs expect it....but have been pacified.
    I could go on and on with big city clubs and big cities that have a few clubs, but the reality is, Sunderland fans will feel they have a right to be thought of in the big club terms.
    The truth is, they're right, just as much as we think we are right to be classed in that.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    In all fairness to all...all clubs who are one city clubs in large populated cities will expect they should be playing in the big league.

Leeds United fans expect it.....but have been pacified.
    Both Sheffield clubs expect it....but have been pacified.
    I could go on and on with big city clubs and big cities that have a few clubs, but the reality is, Sunderland fans will feel they have a right to be thought of in the big club terms.
    The truth is, they're right, just as much as we think we are right to be classed in that.
    I don't know about that. Take Wolves, another one town/city club with a bigger population than Sunderland and an enormous catchment area.

Another club with a fantastic post war record which has gone into decline before Sunderland did, yet their attendance record has been quite steady over the seasons despite lack of recent success.

sunderland's gates seem low to us, but it's all subjective.

they sold 29,500 tickets for the sheff utd game and 26,000 for the forest game. (I have no idea what the actual attendance was, but every club announces gates by tickets sold).

if we detach Sunderland away from ourselves and look at their gates another way, 29,500 when you're without a home win in 9 months, (and only have 23 home wins in the last 5 yrs) is actually a phenomenal following.

Well if you consider they had 10 straight years in (arguably) the worlds Top league while we had two relegations in that time, ours must be Stratospheric !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post

they sold 29,500 tickets for the sheff utd game and 26,000 for the forest game. (I have no idea what the actual attendance was, but every club announces gates by tickets sold).

if we detach Sunderland away from ourselves and look at their gates another way, 29,500 when you're without a home win in 9 months, (and only have 23 home wins in the last 5 yrs) is actually a phenomenal following.
    Makems who go to the games on RTG reckon that the official gate figures are 6 -7000 to high for the recent home games.

True that it is not a bad attendance for a club like that but what´s alarming is the fall away in attendance in such a short space of time. I see they´ve changed from comparing their support to ours to now, saying that the only thing we have going for us is our support.

They might win a few games in Div 2 next season it's about their level.

Their supporters deserve more but thankfully it's a club in decline would love to see them playing Gateshead along with the other top northern teams in Darlington and Hartlepool.

I have no pity for their club, don't get me wrong, seeing them lose enhances bragging rights and the banter that goes with it.

but I've seen the lads I work with visibly worn down, they kept going and kept positive (probably because of their 6 on a row) until half way through last season, but most of them seem to be at breaking point now.

however, whilst praising their attendances, I also said I wasn't comparing them with our crowds, but they do compare more than favourable with other "big clubs" who have went the same way.
    I.E. Leeds, sheff wed, villa, forest etc.

I do still want them to go down another division, just to test the resolve of the few who remain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    They might win a few games in Div 2 next season it's about their level.

Their supporters deserve more but thankfully it's a club in decline would love to see them playing Gateshead along with the other top northern teams in Darlington and Hartlepool.
    Wouldn't it be something if Gateshead, Darlington and Hartlepool actually leap-frogged them on the way up while the Muckems continued their decline.

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post

Haven't looked at it that way but good point Mick.

I wonder when they will win a game at home. I do have a feeling when it happens they'll go on a bit of a run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)