+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alternative

St Mirren were up for sale for a long time. Gilmour couldn't get rid even after they won the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    In all my many years of football interest I have never known a situation where a professional football club in Scotland could be offered for sale for such a long time without there being any (supposedly) genuine interested parties. Something is not right?
    Then surely “genuine interested parties” that are knocked back would go public with their interest to increase pressure to sell?

They don’t have to say they had discussions previously as they may be beholding to Non Disclosure Agreements but they can certainly state their intentions to buy in future.

Much in the same way ET did.

I’m yet to experience a wholly private takeover bid in the history of football.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Michael W. Gregory, MD met with ST in London but it never led to much more.

That’s the only enquiry/tentative bid I’m aware of.

Of course if there are others I’m sure people in the know will divulge.

They’ve no reason not to after all.
    Agree , any details AP?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie arab View Post
    Agree , any details AP?
    So the answer to my question from all the enlightened ones is that right none of you know if there is a serious credible alternative. And yet you all continually beat the 'ST must go!' Drum.

Until there is an alternative I would prefer he does not do a runner. Bad job or not we are still trading and we still have a club to support.

Begs an interesting question:

With a properly qualified and talented CEO, could the fans do a better job steering the ship?

Look at Dunfermline for example.

One fan group runs the club but employs the staff to do it.

One very talented general manager/ceo delivering on the fan owner’s vision.

Michael Mlotkiewicz at Dunfermline has done a tremendous job there.

A candidate such as him could be all we need to right the ship under the fan’s ownership.

A theory. An option. Worst considering.

I will probably get shot for this but i have genuine sympathy for ST (in parts). He is so out of his depth and now wants out has hatred and bile posted about him and to his face and is public enemy no1. He is an arab though and must be hurting as much as we do. He has a 100% no win situation. Then my sympathy begins to dissapear when i hear the price he wants (allegedly) and i think there is some truth in it. Now slowly watching the team being mismamnaged again is quite tough to take.

I want him out and Franks proposal above is sound. BUT we have to get rid of the monty python factions all over the place - One body with one goal. Some may say that was FU but not seeing it just now.

Quote Originally Posted by arab_plumber View Post
    Ram has got it right ST won't sell until we're back up in the SPL for obvious financial reasons, he's already knocked back what I'd describe as very generous offers already but he'll never admit that as it suits his game plan to play the nobody wants the club card.

Every month that goes by the further the club falls from where it should be
    This to me goes to heart of it. If true ST has offers but won't sell.

Agree totally with how Future has brought this up.

Those of who oppose ST need to think how best someone or a fans group can have the opportunity to take over and as soon as possible.

Seems to me that a fans group appointing staff is the best model. - as with Dunfermline

If loans or finance is needed a well organised CEO with full backing of enfranchised fans would be better IMO than supposed business guru ST

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Then surely “genuine interested parties” that are knocked back would go public with their interest to increase pressure to sell?

They don’t have to say they had discussions previously as they may be beholding to Non Disclosure Agreements but they can certainly state their intentions to buy in future.

Much in the same way ET did.

I’m yet to experience a wholly private takeover bid in the history of football.

I reckon it all depends upon how far talks may have progressed to, along with other influencing factors.

Have to say it .................. Fan ownership gives me the absolute FEAR.

Just consider all the infighting, bickering , egos, public arguments and statements over the past 2/3 years from the various groups and factions. FFS it could be a complete disaster , again.

There would have to be a lot of consideration, reigning in of loose cannons and generaly more appropriate and professional behaviour. Although employing the correct and experienced people is an interesting concept.

What I would say is remember the state the Funsters got into with their SS brigade. That was a complete disaster mess.

We would have to tread warily with this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineDream View Post
    Have to say it .................. Fan ownership gives me the absolute FEAR.

Just consider all the infighting, bickering , egos, public arguments and statements over the past 2/3 years from the various groups and factions. FFS it could be a complete disaster , again.

There would have to be a lot of consideration, reigning in of loose cannons and generaly more appropriate and professional behaviour. Although employing the correct and experienced people is an interesting concept.

What I would say is remember the state the Funsters got into with their SS brigade. That was a complete disaster mess.

We would have to tread warily with this approach.
    With our fans just now - I totally 100% agree with you.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)