+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never say die 'Well come back to earn a point

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    We're still second favourites on Thursday. If both teams play to their best, Aberdeen will win - and Aberdeen have been playing well recently, even if today's result was a blip.

And without wanting to really piss on the chips, it's worth pointing out that even if we pull out a big performance to win, we're likely to be in the semis with the Old Firm and Hibs. We have had some glorious chances in the cup recently (which we've blown) but this is not one of them.
    I fancy us strongly to beat Aberdeen on Thursday , we have multiple options which we just havent had for years. Aberdeen have struggled in their last two games, who cares who is in the semis lets get there first. Hibs and Rangers are nothing to fear both very ordinary pedestrian teams

He denied both Hibs and Motherwell definite penalties and gave Hibs another that wasn't. With a bit of composure we'd have done Hibs comfortably today.

No offence steviex, but the fact that you fancy us to beat Aberdeen on Thursday makes me feel even less confident that we can pull it off

I hope you're right but I just don't see us doing it as that is exactly the type of game that Motherwell FC just do not win, ie. Semi final place at stake, a bigger than usual crowd desperate to see us win usually equals a Motherwell defeat and having to suffer a big away support celebrating at full time.

I would absolutely LOVE to win this one, I'd even take a defeat against them next Sunday in the league if it meant we got the better of them in the Cup, but alas if we are going to win either it'll be the league encounter as I think Aberdeen will prioritise the Cup game and put more effort into winning that, thus perhaps leaving them a bit leg weary come Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    No offence steviex, but the fact that you fancy us to beat Aberdeen on Thursday makes me feel even less confident that we can pull it off

I hope you're right but I just don't see us doing it as that is exactly the type of game that Motherwell FC just do not win, ie. Semi final place at stake, a bigger than usual crowd desperate to see us win usually equals a Motherwell defeat and having to suffer a big away support celebrating at full time.

I would absolutely LOVE to win this one, I'd even take a defeat against them next Sunday in the league if it meant we got the better of them in the Cup, but alas if we are going to win either it'll be the league encounter as I think Aberdeen will prioritise the Cup game and put more effort into winning that, thus perhaps leaving them a bit leg weary come Sunday.
    Aberdeen are nothing special and yes our history is littered with fpuck ups...but that actually has absolutely no bearing on Thursdays game no mater how much it feels like it

Of course it doesn't have any bearing on Thursday and I'd share your view that Aberdeen aren't anything special, but they are better than us, I think that's an undeniable fact. Even when they weren't better than us and we always had the beating of them in the league we still managed to choke against them in the Cups at Fir Park as we did three times under McCall, albeit his team's had hearts of mice.

I honestly can see it being a high scoring game on Thursday with a crazy final scoreline, like 5-4 to them or something, or else it will go to penalties and they will beat us there.

IMO if we were playing Aberdeen with the team we had last season,then I think we would get stuffed,but we have improved our team considerably and have a manager who believes his team can compete against anyone. I think the Aberdeen team is weaker this season and if we get into their faces straight from the start,I'm sure Moult can show them what they missed out on in the last transfer window by not offering enough for him.

they may be better than us over the course of a season but that doesnt mean they will be in a head to head.. again no point looking at previous Aberdeen games, they have no bearing on the next one. The thing that counts is form , confidence and belief and frankly there is a world of difference in the current Motherwell squad from the utter dross of recent seasons. Robinson is also light years away from previous incumbents who youd swear were there to talk us down before a ball was kicked. Have a read at Aberdeens messageboard to see what they think of their efforts this season.

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    IMO if we were playing Aberdeen with the team we had last season,then I think we would get stuffed,but we have improved our team considerably and have a manager who believes his team can compete against anyone. I think the Aberdeen team is weaker this season and if we get into their faces straight from the start,I'm sure Moult can show them what they missed out on in the last transfer window by not offering enough for him.
    Thats pretty much my take and McInnes is due a rocky spell, no manager gets it all his own way and hes had a terrific run and that must end some time. I just have a real gut feeling about Thursday and today has made me think we are different from last year.... we should have beat Rangers (yeah I know the history) and we lost to St Johnstone cos we had 3 guys sent off.....no team as yet has had us on toast and we've played 4 teams we'd all expect to finish top 6

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    For or against us Wellup4it
    Against. Penalty decisions (3) apart some of his yellow cards were downright wrong. Tait's was never a foul let alone a yellow. Others were very soft as well. These cards will cost us us later in the season. Hibs were guilty of persistent diving - just look at Boyle's penalty. If justice is done he'll be hauled up next week for simulation....we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    I fancy us strongly to beat Aberdeen on Thursday , we have multiple options which we just havent had for years. Aberdeen have struggled in their last two games, who cares who is in the semis lets get there first. Hibs and Rangers are nothing to fear both very ordinary pedestrian teams
    Ach, I just get nervous when things are going so well. It just means we're getting closer to disaster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)