+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crawley - Great result!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I've seen us play lovely flowing football and lose quite a few times. It's shyte.

I don't care how we keep up amongst it until Christmas as long as we do. Then look at getting some more quality up front and at centre half to get us to the end of the season.
    " lovely flowing football " You sure ? But agree with everything else.

Sounded like another well fought for 3 points on the radio..hope we can keep it up for at least 2/3 of the season and just get out of this division.

Veryyyyyyyyyyy, short highlights:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...1-notts-county

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Everyone sounds better when we're winning, but it's good that there's someone with their feet on the ground at Notts for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Everyone sounds better when we're winning, but it's good that there's someone with their feet on the ground at Notts for a change.
    He seems to know what he's aiming for and understands the limitations of what he's working with. But clean sheets and building from the back has often been the route to success especially once the confidence to play football in the right areas arrives.

How long since we've had a defence? - can still remember "I'll buy a whole new back four if necessary".

The big difference with some previous seasons is it seems we are unlucky this time just to win 1-0, whereas in some previous seasons we've been lucky to win 1-0.

Still early days, and caution is sensible Derry was 4th after 16 games with 29 points, 30 games to be safe at it needed 21 points and relegation was avoided by skin of teeth.

Hopefully it is still the start of an upward journey and the cheque book can come out over Xmas. COYP.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    He seems to know what he's aiming for and understands the limitations of what he's working with. But clean sheets and building from the back has often been the route to success especially once the confidence to play football in the right areas arrives.

How long since we've had a defence? - can still remember "I'll buy a whole new back four if necessary".

The big difference with some previous seasons is it seems we are unlucky this time just to win 1-0, whereas in some previous seasons we've been lucky to win 1-0.

Still early days, and caution is sensible Derry was 4th after 16 games with 29 points, 30 games to be safe at it needed 21 points and relegation was avoided by skin of teeth.

Hopefully it is still the start of an upward journey and the cheque book can come out over Xmas. COYP.
    Great post 0ld_pie, totally agree with what you said here

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post

Agree. Usually we can use the term 'clean sheets' less often than a Hyson Green whore, but for me that's the most encouraging part of the recent run. My big worry was that we always looked more likely to concede than score, I hope I have to eat humble pie for a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    To be fair, I was a little OTT last week in calling it dreadful.....after watching today's game I think I can see KN's plan...and it's working.

1. Don't concede a goal at any cost....Crawley didn't have one shot on target

2. If in doubt....boot it out....today at least half a dozen balls went over the stands from our defenders (I thought Crawley had run out of balls at one stage)

3. Don't bother playing it out of defence, get it forward and let Yates (aka Vinny Jones's lovechild) and Milsom scrap it out for the leftovers

4. Wait for the one really good chance to come along....then bag it.

It's working....easy peasy
    To be honest, that is the only way to play football. Some people have hoodwinked themselves into thinking that English teams, with English players can play 'Continental' style football, but it always ends in tears. As the old saying goes, if they don't score, you can't lose. Keep the ball in their danger area, not your own. Anyone remember Otto Rehhagel?

As I've said before I honestly do not care how we play as long as we win football matches. That is the most important thing. You don't get points for playing champagne football all the time. In our championship wining season McParland got us playing some quality stuff but it was not until Cotteril came in that he made us solid as a rock at the back and we ground out 1-0 wins which contributed to us winning the title. The table never says what style or how a team has played.

Credit to Kevin Nolan the squad and all the staff at the club because for too long we have had a shocking defence that has conceded two goals a game which saw our demise from finishing 7th in League One under Keith Curle to fighting for our lives under Sheridan in league two.

It's been a great start, 2nd after 8 games with 19 points on the board. That is 38% towards the 50 point mark. Already three points clear of 3rd placed Accrington and 5 points clear of 4th placed Luton. Exeter are really setting the pace, but as long as we keep doing what we are doing we will soon get our 50 points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12