+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forget bashing RM & ST for a minute.....

I know you guy's living abroad have access to the games through your Arab Zone subscription's but i dont know if you are getting the full picture of how bleak the Tannadice match day experience is,i have never turned my back on the team due to results in over 50 years but i freely admit i regret getting my season ticket now as the performances are just as bad if not worse than last season and as tHe ArAb says its not team selection or formation's that's the issue its McKinnon's negativity engulfing the club,that's where the problem lies.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I know you guy's living abroad have access to the games through your Arab Zone subscription's but i dont know if you are getting the full picture of how bleak the Tannadice match day experience is,i have never turned my back on the team due to results in over 50 years but i freely admit i regret getting my season ticket now as the performances are just as bad if not worse than last season and as tHe ArAb says its not team selection or formation's that's the issue its McKinnon's negativity engulfing the club,that's where the problem lies.
    Gunboat, totally agree with you, and had I known the formation/tactics that McKinnon would have adopted with those players, I wouldn't have renewed mine.

Edited to add:
    Me and my brother are back to leaving not long after half time (back to The Brewster days), and very soon, and likewise to that era, questioning whether to go at all !! :-(
    Last edited by ballumbie_arab; 16-09-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    Gunboat, totally agree with you, and had I known the formation/tactics that McKinnon would have adopted with those players, I wouldn't have renewed mine.

Edited to add:
    Me and my brother are back to leaving not long after half time (back to The Brewster days), and very soon, and likewise to that era, questioning whether to go at all !! :-(
    I know things went tits up with McNamara and i still hate the transfer deal his agent conned out of the rent man but i must admit work was never on the Saturday agenda for most of his tenure as our manager,i would happily lose a £100 and spend the same to watch the team home and away.
    At times he was tactically inept and he had better player's at his disposal than McKinnon but his 4-2-3-1 was a different kettle O fish compared to Ray's,FACT.

GK - Harry Lewis
    RB - Murdoch or Toshney (Both are equally pish)
    CB - Durnan
    CB - Edjenguele
    LB - Robson
    DM - Fyvie
    CM - Stanton
    CM - Fraser
    RF - Keatings
    ST - McDonald
    LF - McMullan

Similar to the way Manchester City set up, with one holding midfielder, and two attacking central midfielders in de Bruyne and Silva.

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for us to be playing with two holding midfielders in this division. The fact that he signed so many of them in the summer raised doubts about his intentions for this season in my mind, and those doubts have been validated so far.

I spoke recently to someone that played under McKinnon at Lochee United, who told me that even then, McKinnon set his team up to not get beat first and foremost. That may be fine at Lochee United or Brechin City or Raith Rovers, but at Dundee United, particularly a First Division Dundee United, that's simply not acceptable, and that mentality simply shouldn't be allowed by those at the top.

There was couple of games in the Premier League at McDiarmid Park under McNamara where like today, we barely got in a shot at goal. I remember walking away feeling absolutely disgusted and reasonably angry at what I witnessed, so at First Division level, games like that simply should not be tolerated, if the chairman has any interest in the club whatsoever, McKinnon should be dragged into his office first thing tomorrow morning and told in no uncertain terms that that level of performance and brand of football is completely unacceptable and entirely beneath a club of Dundee United's standing.

Mediocrity has been accepted at our club far too long for my liking. It's time we let the club know that performances like today, like Dumbarton and like Brechin will not be tolerated.

Let's be honest, Thompson won't be dragging anyone into the office for a dressing down as long as the club are funding him, why would he rock the boat he has everyone's season ticket money now lol. get set for the march 2018 begging letter for season tickets and the big push to back the manager to get out this league. McKinnon is hopeless but Thompson will just appoint another cheap dud, he has to go before any other manager is appointed

I know what you are saying but I grudge paying money even for the A Zone live games, I catch the post match banter, the goals and the highlights. I have to say the atmosphere these days sounds pretty dire.

When I was a season ticket holder I went to all the home games and some away where possible, I always backed the team and never left early, although the McCall/Brewster/Chisholm days really put that to the test. I know it's heavy going when the team is not performing on the park unlike the McLean era where you went with a feeling of excitement and an expectation to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by USArab View Post
    I know what you are saying but I grudge paying money even for the A Zone live games, I catch the post match banter, the goals and the highlights. I have to say the atmosphere these days sounds pretty dire.

When I was a season ticket holder I went to all the home games and some away where possible, I always backed the team and never left early, although the McCall/Brewster/Chisholm days really put that to the test. I know it's heavy going when the team is not performing on the park unlike the McLean era where you went with a feeling of excitement and an expectation to win the game.
    Here mate i mind in the old 1st division between 71 and 75 when we had 3000 at Tannadice v the likes of East Fife,Arbroath and Morton and adults i stood next to calling for McLean's head!.I know football fans can be fickle but i reckon most of those guys calling for the head of wee Jim would be birling in their graves if they had to watch a McKinnon version of DUFC,they never knew how good they had it back then mate!.

Quote Originally Posted by USArab View Post
    although the McCall/Brewster/Chisholm days really put that to the test. I know it's heavy going when the team is not performing on the park unlike the McLean era where you went with a feeling of excitement and an expectation to win the game.
    The really sad thing is, most games in most seasons, there was a chance that we would be entertained and in most games, there was still a fair bit of entertainment even loose or draw. Now there is no entertainment i feel i dont want to part with my money when there is too much doubt as to how my money is being used, added to the dross i see!

[QUOTE=borderarab;38655402]Let's be honest, Thompson won't be dragging anyone into the office for a dressing down as long as the club are funding him

I had to have a chuckle at the above quote, knowing our chairman the above could be interpreted in a very different meaning!!

Here mate i mind in the old 1st division between 71 and 75 when we had 3000 at Tannadice v the likes of East Fife,Arbroath and Morton and adults i stood next to calling for McLean's head!.I know football fans can be fickle but i reckon most of those guys calling for the head of wee Jim would be birling in their graves if they had to watch a McKinnon version of DUFC,they never knew how good they had it back then mate!.
    Spot on!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)