+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Certain things causing concern today

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    Glory hunter is a relative term in Scottish football.

To me, stopping attendance when the going gets tough after a relatively successful recent history is the absolute epitome of it.

Lot of people get offended by the term but it's basic consumer rights and human nature.

If you think our recent cup successes haven't added to our support (over 20k there etc) and that these new fans used to the good times are starting to lose interest now you're deluded.

I still think you are not getting it. However, everyone to their own opinions. You're either pissing against the wind, or a live fish, i.e. one which can swim against the current. I have to admit the past three years have left me all but dead to Dundee United and am getting swept away by the current!

Glory hunter is a relative term in Scottish football.

To me, stopping attendance when the going gets tough after a relatively successful recent history is the absolute epitome of it.

Lot of people get offended by the term but it's basic consumer rights and human nature.

If you think our recent cup successes haven't added to our support (over 20k there etc) and that these new fans used to the good times are starting to lose interest now you're deluded.
    Im offended by that term in this case!

Wasnt alot of money around my family when we started going to see United and i think one of the first games was the cup final relay v Rangers, so hardly the basis of a glory hunting 36 years! Add in one League win, all those European nights and all those Hampden finals after that, still isnt enough to be a basis for glory hunting! Because in the league, there was still teams that were more successful who the glory hunters follow!

To me, it isnt the glory i am looking for, its to see my home team doing the best with what players and revenue it can muster, being led by someone i can believe in, and who is delivering for the fans.

So when i dont see my team delivering for the fans like we are and have been for a long time now, i reserve the right to vote with my feet and choose something else to spend my money on! Please dont insult my intelligence for doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Im offended by that term in this case!

Wasnt alot of money around my family when we started going to see United and i think one of the first games was the cup final relay v Rangers, so hardly the basis of a glory hunting 36 years! Add in one League win, all those European nights and all those Hampden finals after that, still isnt enough to be a basis for glory hunting! Because in the league, there was still teams that were more successful who the glory hunters follow!

To me, it isnt the glory i am looking for, its to see my home team doing the best with what players and revenue it can muster, being led by someone i can believe in, and who is delivering for the fans.

So when i dont see my team delivering for the fans like we are and have been for a long time now, i reserve the right to vote with my feet and choose something else to spend my money on! Please dont insult my intelligence for doing so!
    I'm not insulting your (or anyone else's) intelligence although I may have struck a nerve by the looks of it - not my intent btw.

You're wee story above about 36 years support etc warms the cockles of the heart, that's longer than me (by virtue of age more than anything else) but I'm sure you'd concede that those 36 years, whilst coming with occasional downs, have been the most successful in our history?

You obviously just miss the 3 league cup wins (although I presume you were a Utd fan through those, just not attending) but even removing them, only Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have won more majors than us in that period (from memory us, hearts and hibs have 3 each?)

Now that we are ****e you are losing interest in attending (as is your right) as have many others - it's just what happens.

Another couple of years down here playing this ****e football (hopefully ****ing not) and our support will be down to the hardcore only.

Seen it with the fun - crowds ground down by the extended jolly, spiked (by their standards) when they eventually got promoted,but those glory hunters back on the bandwagon have slipped away as they've stagnated in top flight and now they are back to the hardcore.

It's what happens. No idea why people get so upset by it.

Folk are being upset by you using the term glory hunter and are simply pointing out that it if anyone was to be one of them the most unlikely choice would be to follow Dundee United. Of course we'll lose fans the longer we stay in the lower league but I'd be hard pushed to call any fan who supports us a glory hunter.

Fairweather fan would be a better description than glory hunter.

Over on Tek we have had 2 away wins since last December in league. One was that awful Ayr game!

Smeds makes a very good point that our home record on paper merely papers over the cracks and we are found out away from home (i am sure ive misquoted him a bit ).

So many fans (it maybe 0.05% who knows) are fed up are the woeful performances. And despite trying to pull out some hope its just not working.

What an awful away record

I'm not insulting your (or anyone else's) intelligence although I may have struck a nerve by the looks of it - not my intent btw.

You're wee story above about 36 years support etc warms the cockles of the heart, that's longer than me (by virtue of age more than anything else) but I'm sure you'd concede that those 36 years, whilst coming with occasional downs, have been the most successful in our history?

You obviously just miss the 3 league cup wins (although I presume you were a Utd fan through those, just not attending) but even removing them, only Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have won more majors than us in that period (from memory us, hearts and hibs have 3 each?)

Now that we are ****e you are losing interest in attending (as is your right) as have many others - it's just what happens.

Another couple of years down here playing this ****e football (hopefully ****ing not) and our support will be down to the hardcore only.

Seen it with the fun - crowds ground down by the extended jolly, spiked (by their standards) when they eventually got promoted,but those glory hunters back on the bandwagon have slipped away as they've stagnated in top flight and now they are back to the hardcore.

It's what happens. No idea why people get so upset by it.
    Our only 2 back to back League cup wins i just missed and if it was glory i wanted, i would not have followed United as we got beat in my first game! But i was not a fan of football at all prior to that first game.

And us being as bad as we are just now, it is only the tip of the iceberg as to the reasons why i am about to walk away. Especially when i am spending half of whats left after all the bills n food is paid for!

I am not happy with the way my club is being run, i am no longer happy with the manager, and i am not seeing the players put in the effort i give to my job.

Next week i need to see a team selection and formation i can be confident with, then i need to see some effort, a wee bit of entertainment, and most important a bloody win! After that i will be at Brechin and Livi away, but will be deciding about each game as it comes after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie arab View Post
    Ye agree with that CA.

Suppose it's up to the individual whether they want to take the rough with the smooth or give up and go shopping with the wife on match day. I won't give up my team, for me Saturday is football day and I don't think that will ever change.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie arab View Post
    Not even close!

Until last season i very rarely managed an away day with not enough money and work getting in the way. Would never even thought about a game in Buckie but did that and now cant justify spending the money for no return, or with a negative return considering other goings on!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Ye agree with that CA.

Suppose it's up to the individual whether they want to take the rough with the smooth or give up and go shopping with the wife on match day. I won't give up my team, for me Saturday is football day and I don't think that will ever change.
    would be nice to watch it without covering your eyes though eh!?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)