+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Notts have another gear?

Do Notts have another gear?

It's clear that Nolan has put together a hardworking, well-organised, well-balanced side, with just enough ability to get the all-important goal. But do you think this is Notts playing at full potential, or do you think we still have another gear? If this is us at 100%, it's inevitable that we'll eventually hit a sticky patch - the question then is how we react to it.

I think as long as our key players stay fit, there's no reason why we won't continue to grind out impressive results. I'm still not convinced we have enough up front or at the back to maintain promotion form across a whole season though. Equally I don't think we'll fall away like we did under Derry. Much will depend on squad fitness and who we can bring in in January. We already have the basics in place.

Loving this season so far!

The next three games look like tough ones. I think we'll have the answer to the question of how good this side is by the time we've played Mansfield.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It's clear that Nolan has put together a hardworking, well-organised, well-balanced side, with just enough ability to get the all-important goal. But do you think this is Notts playing at full potential, or do you think we still have another gear? If this is us at 100%, it's inevitable that we'll eventually hit a sticky patch - the question then is how we react to it.

I think as long as our key players stay fit, there's no reason why we won't continue to grind out impressive results. I'm still not convinced we have enough up front or at the back to maintain promotion form across a whole season though. Equally I don't think we'll fall away like we did under Derry. Much will depend on squad fitness and who we can bring in in January. We already have the basics in place.

Loving this season so far!
    Excellent post, Slack, and I agree with 95% of it. Certainly steering clear of serious injury is the No 1 requirement.
    Nolan's finest achievement is fashioning a wobbly defence into an effective unit which seems to ooze confidence.
    The absolute crunch is our dodgy strike force as illustrated by Shola's current injury. Seeing Forte back in form is good
    but Steady is going to pick up the knocks as well as Ameobi. Notts need alternatives and Nolan's links with the Hammers,
    Liverpool and Palace might produce a decent loanee or two

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Excellent post, Slack, and I agree with 95% of it. Certainly steering clear of serious injury is the No 1 requirement.
    Nolan's finest achievement is fashioning a wobbly defence into an effective unit which seems to ooze confidence.
    The absolute crunch is our dodgy strike force as illustrated by Shola's current injury. Seeing Forte back in form is good
    but Steady is going to pick up the knocks as well as Ameobi. Notts need alternatives and Nolan's links with the Hammers,
    Liverpool and Palace might produce a decent loanee or two
    Yes, a couple of high-quality loans would do the trick - one up front and one at the back. A serious injury to Brisley or Forte/Stead and we'll be relying on players like Hollis and Saunders. That's a big enough drop in quality to turn those 1-0 wins into 0-1 losses. We seem to have enough strength in midfield, especially with Thompson and O'Connor to (eventually) come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    The next three games look like tough ones. I think we'll have the answer to the question of how good this side is by the time we've played Mansfield.
    When the fixtures came out people was saying we have a tough start well we've not done too badly.

Let's just hope that the gear isn't reverse.

What I find encouraging is who exactly are our key players?
    5 changes against Swindon of arguably our 'key' players and you'd never have known.
    I'm not worried about Hollis stepping in but I do worry if Stead/Forte get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    Let's just hope that the gear isn't reverse.
    Ha ha that made me laugh mate. I think we don't yet have another gear in regards to style of play. We're hard to beat now and seem to be very committed in getting the ball back which is the starting point to better things. This will come with time and maybe a couple more additions in attack.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    What I find encouraging is who exactly are our key players?
    5 changes against Swindon of arguably our 'key' players and you'd never have known.
    I'm not worried about Hollis stepping in but I do worry if Stead/Forte get injured.
    Agree with this... when KN came in and brought in Grant it was the turning point of the season which ended up saving us from the drop, like a lot on here i was very underwhelmed by some of the summer recruits and thought it was going to be the Jorge Grant show every week but in a weird way hes not even coming into contention for MOTM performances... they usually go to Jones or Yates who have turned out to be inspired recruits. Brisley at the back has been excellent, Hawk and Alessandra have more than played their part also... this team is not about any individual but a whole collective unit which is the most pleasing part... I couldn't see Thompson or O'Connor getting into this side atm, fantastic job by all involved so far.

The result at Wycombe tends to suggest that we do have another gear to go to, as does some of the football played against Accrington.

We have also played some very poor sides though, the difference this season so far is that we've actually managed to beat a few of them. We will know a lot more about this team when we see what the response is to a defeat. Previous Notts seasons have gone seriously wrong when they've lost on the back of a decent run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast