+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: United 0 Norwich 1 -report

United 0 Norwich 1 -report

The Blades excellent start to their return to the Championship hit a bump in the road as they were beaten at Bramall Lane for the first time since January. Norwich got the win with a smart first half goal from Yanin Wildschut and then did what they had to by every mean possible to preserve the lead. United missing so many forwards battled hard but could not break down an organised Canaries side. The home side had so much of the ball and dominated long spells of the game but will have been disappointed with final decisions in the last third.

Unitedites arrived to the news that both Billy Sharp and Leon Clarke were out injured. Already without Donaldson, Lavery and Hanson; Wilder had to go with a not fully fit Ched Evans with David Brooks making his first league start just behind him. Freeman, Basham and Stevens returned with the unfortunate Carter Vickers missing out after scoring in the week.

United began on the attack and forced an early corner. After good work from Duffy, O’Connell headed back across but Evans could not get the power and Gunn saved easily. Norwich broke out and after a mistake from Freeman, Murphy cut in but his cross was scuffed wide from Jerome. Basham and Wright both made errors and these nearly let City in twice with O’Connell blocking a shot and another going wide. Brooks had been lively and some impish skill saw him push the ball through the legs of a defender and get in on goal but the keeper came out quickly and smothered on the edge of his box.

After some poor defending earlier, United did not heed the warning and Maddison came off Fleck and Coutts and played the ball into the inside right channel. O’Connell and Freeman were dissected and WILDSCHUT was in and he drove a low angled finish into the net beyond Blackman. It was a simply made and taken goal but the home side’s defending was porous to say the least.

Coutts tried to get United going but the passing was sloppy and at times too pedestrian. Gunn was time wasting as early as the half hour mark and when United did get a chance after a trip on Brooks, Duffy’s free kick off target. Norwich were pressing and not giving United time on the ball but Brooks got out of the corner with some superb skill that nearly led to a chance.

A decent spell saw Evans and then Brooks have shots blocked as United got crowded out. Freeman then had a shot on half time which was saved by the keeper in a frustrating first half.

The visitors kept United waiting for some time before eventually coming back onto the pitch. United began at a better tempo but Fleck’s shot lacked power and was comfortable for Gunn. At the other end Blackman saved a more powerful effort from Murphy. Norwich were slowing the game down at every chance and weak refereeing meant it was incredibly stop start. Wilder’s frustration showed when he kicked the ball back and a number of bottles got the end of his boot in the Norwich technical area. He was sent to the stands for going into the opposition technical area.

A series of bookings came for both sides as the game threatened to boil over. United continued to have more of the ball but were not creating much. Evans flashed two crosses across the box but United had no one in the box.

Thomas came on for his first league bow at the Lane as Stevens went off with O’Connell going to left back as United changed to a 4-4-2. Carruthers replaced Duffy and got straight into the action but his appeals for a foul were twice denied. Fleck had another effort that went wide and then Maddison hit a shot at Blackman. There had been few chances of note and Norwich continued to defend in numbers. Norwich broke and had a decent shout for a penalty waved away but Maddison’s ridiculous antics after this as he was subbed really should have seen him given a red card.

Freeman had taken a whack to his chest and was clearly struggling and had to go off replaced by Baldock.

The referee adjudged that the timewasting tactics City had employed would mean there would be an additional 6 minutes. This seemed generous on the visitors who had been at it all day. Brooks fired over and United could not force a meaningful chance as the visitors celebrated wildly on full time on what was an incredibly frustrating afternoon for the home side.

United – We deserved something from the game and the effort was there all game. We had more of the ball, forced them back and created lots of pressure. However, we conceded a poor goal and in truth they had the best chances over the course of the game (maybe only 4 or 5 other chances all game) and other than Brooks effort first half, I am not sure the keeper for them had much to do at all. For all the huffing and puffing, we never really looked like scoring. A few balls bounced across the box but I cannot recall even a good chance second half other than a few set plays or pull backs that no one got on the end of. Today we did not have that spark we needed and I honestly feel we could be still playing now and still not score!

I thought the midfield did not support the striker/s enough and we needed to get men beyond them and simply get more bodies into the box but it never happened and they sat back and repelled everything we threw at them. As I say it was not lack of effort but a real lack of quality and we looked a bit devoid of ideas when we got in the last third. Norwich were no better but they showed one bit of quality; got a goal and were able to hold it.

At times, our passing was sloppy today and we gave it away quite a few times first half with all of the defence guilty at one time or another. They could have got in before they did. I felt we improved as the game went on and started to keep it more and play with more urgency but the lack of options up top really hurt us. Evans was really poor (I know he is injured) but his touch and basic control was appalling most of the game. He did put a few crosses in but the centre halves had an easy game except the odd run from Brooks. He was our main threat and the one who looked like doing something. I felt the midfield trio all had poorest games for some time and that they made some bad decisions with and without the ball. The wing backs also did not really threaten going forward.

United were ok and were far from poor and it was a game that should have ended 0-0 but we lost. Norwich will say it was a perfect away performance in terms of getting a goal and defending it with the keeper well protected throughout. They were ugly in how they did it but they won’t care and neither will their fans. United have to be a bit cleverer and a bit better as they face teams that will do what Norwich did at home. That is where the lack of pace (and height today) will really hurt us as the season goes on and this issue is the one area that as superb as Wilder has done, he has simply not addressed. This allows teams to sit back.

It is far from the end of the world. We are having some rotten luck with injuries and next week will be tough if we have most of these out as I do not know where the goals are coming from (we don’t get goals from the midfield at the moment) so hope at least a few of them might be fit. Seems Freeman will be out which is a blow even though Baldock looks promising. Going to be a big week for Wilder preparing them for next Sunday and he will just hope he had some players back. If we do we have nothing to fear going there although they have not lost since the opening day and haver a very good home record. Key will be midfield for me. If those 3 can get back to standards they have set then we will be right in the game with a chance of winning if we do have at least one striker back.

Norwich – They got the goal and saw it out. It felt it was a bit smash and grab but then the reality is they did not have much to worry about in terms of clear chances or good efforts on goal. They got men in the way and broke things up and defended really well. They have now kept three clean sheets so clearly not down to luck as they have brought in two no nonsense big lads who both played well. They scored a decent goal and had a few other breaks but they did what they had to

The major gripe is the cynical, time wasting and cheating they employed to slow the game down at every opportunity. It is of course up to the referee to penalise and they tried it on all game and kept doing it as he was not penalising them. They were horrible to watch and some of the antics were embarrassing but will say it worked. Not sure it will work most weeks and were fortunate they caught us with 5 strikers injured. In general play United were better in a lot of things but crucially they showed that bit of quality in the last third. A horrible side to watch mind and not sure I would want to watch that every week if that is how they go about winning games.

Farke has clearly worked on the organisation and the defence and taken out players like Hoolahan and Martin; mainstays as he looks to shape his own team. They of course have a few out (like us) due to injury but I am not sure I saw enough to suggest they will be anything other than mid table. Teams with any kind of attack and quality (including us with players we had out) I feel would have beaten them today and a stronger ref may not have seen them so successful. They did press us and harry us and got amongst us though. We had the least amount of time on the ball we have had all season at home and this pressure saw us not be as effective at creating things.

Opposition Man of the Match: Thought they worked hard and closed us down and all did their job for the team. Sure, they used a lot of ‘gamesmanship’ but that is up to the referee to stamp out. Though the lad Tettey was good at breaking up play and never gave out midfield lads a moment. However, the two centre halves were outstanding (did not play much) and repelled everything we put into the box. The lad Klose stood out and takes the honours. They were missing main striker themselves (Oliveira – worth mentioning amongst all the talk of our bereft forward line) but had a few neat and tidy players and broke well when they could but most of best work was defensive. Jerome may be getting on but did hold it up and did all the things we needed of someone up top. He was not flashy or much of a goal threat but brought others into play. The lad Murphy was also lively too.

Opposition Weak link: Not sure there was anyone who was really bad. They were all steady. The lad Trybull was a bit cynical and he also gave it away quite a bit but Norwich had a lot of 6-7/10 players really.

Blackman 7/10 – Fine. Had no chance on the goal as he was left badly exposed. Made a few regulation saves and his handling was fine. His kicking was a bit better today. He seems better on the floor than out of his hands so is trying to drop it and play it out that way. Got away with one on the penalty. I thought he was slow and that he did catch their lad being honest. Another thing the referee missed.

Freeman 5.5/10 – Poorest he has been for a long time. He gave it away quite a bit early on and going forward was not really a threat. I felt that he was sloppy with the ball and resorted to going to the deck too much. He was constantly looking for a foul but rightly (in this case) the ref did not give him anything. Seems he took a whack to his ribs and there may be a break which would see him out for 3 or 4 weeks at least. Chance for Baldock to come in now.

Stevens 6/10 – Like Freeman; his standards dropped today and after setting good standards I felt his passing and general play was off. He got caught a few times defensively but did improve as the game went on in this area. Attacking wise we got nothing from him and he got stopped in his tracks or overran the ball a few times. Came off and we went 4-4-2.

Basham 7/10 – One of our better players today. He made a few poor choices early including one bad give away but got better. He kept going forward and took the ball into midfield so many times. His decisions when he gets into good areas are questionable and he seems to panic but love the way he drives at teams even as a centre back. He has recovered well after his errors at Cardiff and Boro.

O’Connell 7/10 – Steady performance. Nothing flashy. He won tackles and blocks. He did not do too much wrong that I can recall although the defence did take too long to move it on first half. He put a poor cross in after a good move first half but also put a good one in not long after. Missed a decent chance from a corner when he headed well wide near the end.

Wright 6.5/10 – His long run of unbeaten starts comes to an end. He started the game with a few uncharacteristic errors including one really poor pass when they nearly got in. He struggled with a few of their breaks with pace early on. After they scored they did not attack as much. I felt we could have sacrificed him for Carruthers or someone else. I know we eventually went 4-4-2 but not sure we needed him second half as they had so many men behind the ball.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Up and down. Some good tackles and passes mixed in with some sloppy stuff. He at times took too long to move it on and you could say that about a lot of the midfield today. Still showed his touch and range of passing. His shooting was quite poor. He takes on a lot of shots outside the box but never seems to get that close or lacks power. He drags his shots a lot. Problem is the rest of the team were very shot shy. Got booked and then nearly got another card and lost his head for a few minutes.

Coutts 6.5/10 – Like Fleck above. At times just ooze class with his touch and ability to move it on and showed that today. Some good stuff and ball retention and ability to switch play. He did give it away a few times too though. I felt we were too slow to move it on and this allowed them to get bodies behind the ball. On another day, he might have been sent off. He had already been booked for a pullback (after he had given the ball away before that) and then got involved with one of theirs and did catch him (not an elbow) but if the useless assistant referee had seen it; he would have got at least another yellow. He never seems to want to shoot and needs to maybe try it at times. I admire his passing and skill but we do need more goals from the midfield; especially when we are down in numbers up top.

Duffy 6/10 – He did not get in the game that much after a promising start. Showed a few flashes and bit of link play first 20 minutes but then got crowded out. Brooks seemed to go into the areas he normally does and not sure it quite worked first half with those two both playing as number 10’s. Lasted 75 minutes today but second half not sure he did much of note and seems to struggle when the game goes past the hour mark. Today with the lack of options he kind of had to stay on.

Brooks 7.5/10 – Our main threat today. Showed some lovely touches and pieces of skill. Some of his close control and ability to get out of tight spots is ridiculously good. He did this twice in the corners and nearly got us in. The skill to nutmeg the defender and get in was superb but he hit his shot too close to the keeper. He always wants to get on the ball and seems to have so much time and makes good decisions. He faded a bit after the break which was understandable as it was his first league game. What a talent he looks though and as he gets more time and experience, I expect him to take over from Duffy in that role sooner rather than later and that is no knock-on Duffy.

Evans 4/10 – Really poor. Put two crosses over that were decent across the box (although he did not look up they were into a general area) and fought and won back one loose ball. Outside of that cannot recall much he did. He looked lost. He was behind his man, slow ad sluggish. When he did have the ball, he did not keep it long and his first touch was really poor. He did not give us any kind of threat or option up top at all. I know he is injured and it is admirable he is playing through the pain barrier but not sure that is helping him or us. I am always of the opinion that if a player is not fully fit he should not play. Today it was hard with the lack of options but is that now why we have an u23 squad (Hallam, Smith, Jake Wright)? I think he may have been better playing Freeman up top or another option with some mobility than Evans who gave us no outlet whatsoever. Hopefully he can get his operation soon and we may see someone closer to the player we saw that one season. At the moment, he looks out of his depth.

Subs:

Thomas - Did ok when he came on at first with a few runs and darts goalward but then he seemed to get crowded out as the game went on. Not that fast really and did not get past his man or get any crosses in.

Carruthers – Came on and got in the thick of it but seemed to hit the deck quite a bit but could not get a decision.

Baldock – Brought on for Freeman as he was clearly struggling for some time before he eventually came off but not long enough to make an impact.

Manager: Wilder 5/10 – Today without a full hand; it was difficult today but even with lack of striking options not sure we were quite at level we have been in passing, penetration or pressing. I felt we looked a bit clueless going forward and I think he should have tried something different as the game went on. The ball was not sticking up front and I felt he should have changed it long before he did with Thomas coming on and us going to a 4-4-2. The players had a real go and not doubting that but overall quality today in the final third was not there and they sat back and soaked things up with us having no pace or penetration (outside of Brooks).

He was clearly angry with the Norwich team not turning up on time and then coming out late after half time and I agree the timewasting was poor. I do admire his honesty and love for the club but he did come across a bit Warnock post game blaming everything but us for the defeat. I might be on my own on that opinion I accept but he might need to keep his council and not lose his head at times.

I can understand the frustration at getting the ball back and their timewasting but sadly you cannot go in the other technical area. I love his passion but it was quite clear he meant to kick the bottles as well as the ball and was rather petty. More than this he will now face a potential ban and a seat in the stands maybe even for the derby next week which will.

Officials – Appalling. He started the game ok but it quickly unravelled. He warned the Norwich keeper at least 6 or 7 times and did not book him. He lost control of the game and I am not sure who was worse, him or his assistants. Particularly the one on the South Stand side second half who was frankly appalling.

Back to the man in charge….I use that phrase loosely. He simply lost the plot. There were players going down all over and he just meekly ran over pointing to his watch. He needed to stamp down earlier but was weak. In general play, he also gave some baffling decisions. He was as bad for them as he was for us and at times you did not know what he was going to do next. He would let shoulder to shoulder challenges go and then penalise exactly the game moments later. This was the same with regulation fouls.

He had no idea how to even use his spray! That summed him up. So many times, players came over the white line and he just ignored it. Some of his bookings were right – Coutts and Fleck for us. I think they had a good shout for a penalty when the lad went down – it seemed Blackman caught him. However, the antics of the lad Maddison after this was pathetic. He was basically taking the proverbial and really should have been sent off. The keeper’s play acting was also scandalous but they let them get away with it. I do agree with Wilder in that he constant stop start nature of the game really does not help. The extra minutes of course are added on but Wilder is correct in that it does not always help you.
    The letter of the law said the officials were right to send Wilder off sadly but his mismanagement of the game had led to this frustration.

Crowd – A lot of frustration today but more at the officials, the timewasting and general approach from the opposition. The crowd were behind United and actually stayed to clap them off. They were supportive all game and understood the situation with 5 strikers out injured. I felt the noise levels were good and really supportive. Only major disappointment was the bottle incident. This was moronic and also slowed the game down again. The keeper did not need any more excuses. Yes, he was a knob all game but you can’t do that. The fan should be banned and rightly so. Also, a bit of a moan about the end. We (myself included) often argue why we have seats blocked off or access is denied down Bramall Lane for games. Well you can kind of see why when you see some of the antics of some of our ‘supporters.’ A handful of Norwich fans chanted some Wednesday songs as they came down the steps. This was the cue for a bunch of United fans to wade into them. Punches were thrown (both ways) but it was ridiculous and saw a few elderly and young fans (both teams) get caught up in it. We really do have some morons (I know it takes two to fight).

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    Forgot to add I thought Thomas did well when he came on. He may not be rapid but he runs direct at the opposition and not afraid to take them on. We should have put him down the middle as he looked up for it.
    The problem i have wi Thomas is he rarely takes the full back on the outside,he cuts in too much for me.If he was on right side i can see why he'd cut inside and have a crack.I think DB's bein tight wi Evans(4/10)the lad should be gettin over a ankle op he needs but hasn't had it cos of the lack of fit strikers we have.I agree FLECKY& Coutts weren't as good as normal and that our main threat was BROOKSY,like i've always said abart him,he shows ya summat everytime i've seen him play and if he had scored wi his first chance it could've/would've been a different match.We move on nar to the next match,i've forgotten who it's against.UTCB