+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prognosis

Yes, that performance and result was dreadful yesterday. Both management and playing staff have to take responsibility for inflicting such an afternoon of misery on supporters of the Alex. Our recent run of form is worrying, but I would suggest that we all give Artell some slack and allow him time to get things back on track. We had to put up with far worse and over a much longer period of time with the previous manager, when things started to go wrong. He was given an enormous period of time to attempt to turn things around. Obviously, the club cannot give this manager the same amount of leeway as they did with Davis, but Artell must be given a fighting chance to get things right.
    Last edited by alexmick; 24-09-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    Obviously, the club cannot give this manager the same amount of leeway as they did with Davis, but Artell must be given a fighting chance to get things right.
    Some fans on social media are suggesting otherwise, but that isn't the 'Crewe way'. nor is it, in my opinion, the right way to deal with the higher reaches of managership. Artell has proved that he can motivate (although that is beginning to look like 'on-the-rebound' from a guy who had clearly had his time with us), but the real test is now.
    I had a chat to Davis a long while ago and we agreed, at the time laughingly, that his enormous success in his first 20 months (Wembley twice, successfully) had become a millstone. Perhaps Artell will have the contrary professional trajectory of his managership: start the season this poorly, followed by a resurgence later? Artell, like any Alex manager, will always have my support, even and especially when things get tough, but that must be reciprocated and balanced by, if needed, direct criticism.

Agreed, AL. And it's no good just saying the players weren't trying, although when such criticism is justified it should be said.

But the manager must be prepared to say when he got it wrong. Ainley is clearly not a wing back; you could see that after 10 minutes on Saturday. Cooper likewise. And yet we had Pickering and Bakayogo on the bench. Go figure. OK he lost Perry in the morning, but there were so many square pegs in round holes along the back it was bound to go tits up.

Dagnall dropping deep? No thanks, not good enough at that and not where we want him.

I could go on, and have on another thread! But be honest, Dave - did YOU do as well as you could have? You'll earn our respect if you're as honest as I think you are.

I don't understand. Why is DA still not playing our two main strikers next to each other?? Okay I understand that with 433 you need to create a bit of width but why play 2 of the three wide? You can play any 2 strikers out 3 down the middle while the other is wide (depending on what side play is on) It is possible to have a wide midfielder to fit in if we want to switch play to the other side. We need to be more solid in the middle - Lowery has too much to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12